Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end of end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 50:

50. True or false: The national sport of India is hockey.

Re: end of end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 50:

Originally posted by gh
    50. True or false: The national sport of India is hockey.
    hmmmm.....hockey or cricket ?
    I will go with yes - hockey...

Comment

True!

Comment

India won six gold medals in hockey during the Olympics of the 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, and the 1950's.

Comment

As one Canadian friend constantly feels the need to remind people, "that's not hockey, it's field hockey!"

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
            As one Canadian friend constantly feels the need to remind people, "that's not hockey, it's field hockey!"
            My apologies if this comes through more than once. I tried to send already, but the ether took over
            Rich, I almost made the exact same comment, as a Canadian, about the hockey issue. Just in jest, of course.
            I hope that some of you were able to catch the USA/Canada and the Russia/Canada games at the World Junior Championships over the last few days. Some of the greatest sport/entertainment that I have ever seen.
            Tomorrow the Sweden/Canada final should be a classic...

Comment

I say false - cricket is much more popular over there.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true. We're talking here about what's known elsewhere as field hockey, not ice hockey. During what's known as the Golden Era of Hockey in India - 1928 to 1956 - India won six successive gold medals in the Olympics.

Comment

India failed to qualify for the Olympcs for the first time in 2008.

cman

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true.
                    I'm fully aware of India's tradition in hockey. However, this is what Lonely Planet's India guidebook says on the issue:
                    "Cricket is undoubtedly India's favourite sport(...) Indeed, cricket is more than merely a sport - it's a matter of national pride, especially evident whenever India plays against Pakistan."
                    "Hockey doesn't enjoy the same following it once did, partly due to the unassailable popularity of cricket, which snatches most of India's sponsorship funding."
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                      OR...that's not football...it's soccer! :wink:

cman

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true. We're talking here about what's known elsewhere as field hockey, not ice hockey. During what's known as the Golden Era of Hockey in India - 1928 to 1956 - India won six successive gold medals in the Olympics.
                        Since it has been deemed ok to criticize the official answers for using "latter" instead of "last," to refer to the last element of a series of more than two, let me point out that the first sentence of the answer above showed that the writer does not know how to use the subjunctive. The last phrase should be "if it weren't true."

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                          Originally posted by gh
                          50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true.
                          The last phrase should be "if it weren't true."
                          That's debatable. If the meaning was used (there's a not-'were' usage right there) to indicate the use of the past tense, instead of the conditional sense, 'was' would be correct.

"If this wasn't true", in this case, could have meant: it WAS true, but had it not been, then . . .. In this case, it COULD be either (I think . . . but the subjunctive is almost dead anyway (like who/whom), so whadda I know?)

Comment

If the subjunctive is almost dead, which I doubt, that is so only because some TOE's have shirked their responsibility to teach good grammar and diction. :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                              If the subjunctive is almost dead, which I doubt, that is so only because some TOE's have shirked their responsibility to teach good grammar and diction. :evil:
                              Oh, I teach it all right, as I do who/whom, etc.. It falls under the dictum "what you don't know limits your choices." There's a time and a place for 'correct English" (business correspondence . . . job interviews . . . any time you need to impress people with your education (people VERY often mistake education for intelligence)), but you also need to know that language is a living entity, and when it sloughs off an old skin, it does so for a Darwinian reason. The key is effective communication, first and foremost. As a TOE, I don't tilt at Quixotic linguistic windmills - I say the Serenity Prayer. I do what I can, but realize I am a tiny boy with my finger in a very large dike.

The very fact that the sentence you cited may well have NOT been subjunctive, should demonstrate the problematic nature of its use. I suspect many TOEs think every "If I was" usage is wrong. It's not.

Comment

Working...
                              X