• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Nice way to kill a thread, guys . . . .
    You realize that the diversion was begun by the thread's originator, yes?
    No. If anyone diverted the thread, it was I. Of course, at the time, I thought the thread was dead--the official answer had been provided and i didn't think there was much more to say about it.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    So now you've devolved into 'he started it'???
    So you are complaining to WHOM?

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Got to agree with Powell, I would have said cricket. Very surprised it's hockey, although it is clearly second.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    So now you've devolved into 'he started it'???

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    You realize that the diversion was begun by the thread's originator, yes?

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I am well aware that "if I was" is not always incorrect, and that the issue is not always clear. But I do think that in the sentence that we're discussing here, the subjunctive was clearly called for. Note that the original question was posed in the present tense.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    If the subjunctive is almost dead, which I doubt, that is so only because some TOE's have shirked their responsibility to teach good grammar and diction. :evil:
    Oh, I teach it all right, as I do who/whom, etc.. It falls under the dictum "what you don't know limits your choices." There's a time and a place for 'correct English" (business correspondence . . . job interviews . . . any time you need to impress people with your education (people VERY often mistake education for intelligence)), but you also need to know that language is a living entity, and when it sloughs off an old skin, it does so for a Darwinian reason. The key is effective communication, first and foremost. As a TOE, I don't tilt at Quixotic linguistic windmills - I say the Serenity Prayer. I do what I can, but realize I am a tiny boy with my finger in a very large dike.

The very fact that the sentence you cited may well have NOT been subjunctive, should demonstrate the problematic nature of its use. I suspect many TOEs think every "If I was" usage is wrong. It's not.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    If the subjunctive is almost dead, which I doubt, that is so only because some TOE's have shirked their responsibility to teach good grammar and diction. :evil:

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by gh
    50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true.
    The last phrase should be "if it weren't true."
    That's debatable. If the meaning was used (there's a not-'were' usage right there) to indicate the use of the past tense, instead of the conditional sense, 'was' would be correct.

"If this wasn't true", in this case, could have meant: it WAS true, but had it not been, then . . .. In this case, it COULD be either (I think . . . but the subjunctive is almost dead anyway (like who/whom), so whadda I know?)

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true. We're talking here about what's known elsewhere as field hockey, not ice hockey. During what's known as the Golden Era of Hockey in India - 1928 to 1956 - India won six successive gold medals in the Olympics.
    Since it has been deemed ok to criticize the official answers for using "latter" instead of "last," to refer to the last element of a series of more than two, let me point out that the first sentence of the answer above showed that the writer does not know how to use the subjunctive. The last phrase should be "if it weren't true."

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by richxx87
    As one Canadian friend constantly feels the need to remind people, "that's not hockey, it's field hockey!"
    OR...that's not football...it's soccer! :wink:

cman

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true.
    I'm fully aware of India's tradition in hockey. However, this is what Lonely Planet's India guidebook says on the issue:
    "Cricket is undoubtedly India's favourite sport(...) Indeed, cricket is more than merely a sport - it's a matter of national pride, especially evident whenever India plays against Pakistan."
    "Hockey doesn't enjoy the same following it once did, partly due to the unassailable popularity of cricket, which snatches most of India's sponsorship funding."

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    India failed to qualify for the Olympcs for the first time in 2008.

cman

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    50. You've no doubt figured out by now that we wouldn't ask about stuff like this if it wasn't true. We're talking here about what's known elsewhere as field hockey, not ice hockey. During what's known as the Golden Era of Hockey in India - 1928 to 1956 - India won six successive gold medals in the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X