X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One That Slipped By gh

Name the smallest island in the world.
    There are no strings on me

According to Guiness? Inhabited or uninhabited? I gotsta ask.

cman

Comment

Technically uninhabited, 46m x 16m

Comment

I remember reading a couple of years ago about a new bit of land bubbling up from the ocean. It may have been in the Indian Ocean, but my memory is failing after numerous beers and bad Minnesota Viking play.

Comment

It's in the Atlantic.

Comment

IIRC, there is a tiny "island" off the British coast with a lighthouse on it. No idea what the name is.

Comment

Sorry gm, I'm gonna need that name(but well done!).

C'mon, there's enough Brits on this board to rout Napoleon!

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                IIRC, there is a tiny "island" off the British coast with a lighthouse on it. No idea what the name is.
                Are you thinking of Fastnet Lighthouse? Of Irish coast? Excelletn story on it here: http://www.economist.com/world/europe/d ... d=12792727

Comment

Not Fastnet, but thanks for the link - great article. I imagine they hustled when that wave crashed all the way up to the light and the vat of Mercury spilled down the steps. :shock:

Comment

Still no takers?

Here's a pic. Note the helipad on the top of the lighthouse.

Comment

Well, if you right click on that picture, and then click on Properties, it refers to Bishop Rock, so I guess that's the name of the island.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                        C'mon, there's enough Brits on this board to rout Napoleon!
                        No idea.

Comment

Curiosity got the better of me on Sunday night so I cheated. However, I then banned myself from posting anything! I'd never heard of Bishops Rock before....

Comment

Not sure how my name got attached to this thread; I had nothing to do w/ the creation of any of the preceding geography quiz questions.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Not sure how my name got attached to this thread; I had nothing to do w/ the creation of any of the preceding geography quiz questions.
                              But you posted them.

And yes, the answer to the smallest island in the world is Bishop Rock, off the British coast in the Isles of Scilly. There is also a Pacific version of Bishop Rock, but that mountain falls 6 feet short(!!!) of breaking the surface.

Comment

Working...
                              X