Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Utes

These bowl games are a bit weird. First off that huge layoff is strange in it's self, then you have teams feeling they got disrespected. We saw that when the mighty Alabama Crimson Tide with Bear Bryant looking down on them from his throne staggered into the ring to take on a team thrilled to be there. They have no legendary legends in Utah. Alabama didn't want to be there, while Utah had their big chance to rock the football world, so guess what? I was all over that "spot". It was absolutely perfect for a Bama 36 to 30 Utah game. Keep in mind the line was Bama -9 1/2. Bama barely wins the game. I win the $$$$$. Well I did win the $$$$$$. No way in hell I saw Utah kicking Bama's butt. Yep...stunned! Benching that off tackle was huge. You don't do that. I 'm guessing that also played a major role in why the Crimson Tide sucked as long and hard as they did. A bad distraction, at the wrong time. Stupid move on Saban's behalf.

Ok..

Today it's the Texas Longhorns vs the Ohio State Buckeyes. Both teams will be into this one. Two storied programs in a bragging rights situations. Look for Texas to win it. Colt McCoy is just too much!

I have two predictions for the Main Event between the Gators and the Sooners.

1. When tailback Jeff "10.01" Demps gets the ball, it will be..."he has world class speed"....yes "this" time the announcers got it right. In Demps, Rainey, James and Harvin they could beat some countries in a 4x1....dead serious! No college team has ever had a faster foursome......ever!

2.barring injuries to key players and an over abundance of turnovers the overall team speed of the Gators will prove to be the difference. Yes Percy Harvin will need to play the entire game. He's the Gators stud. Oklahoma is great and it will take a healthy Gator team not making stupid mistakes to beat them. No I won't be betting on this one. I don't have enought advantages for either side. While the Utah/Bama game was an easy pick, this one isn't.

How do we go against the home teams in the next round of the NFL playoffs? We don't!

How do you NOT bench the tackle (Andre Smith)??? He had inappropriate contact with an agent. If Bama had not taken the action, they were gravely at risk of losing the game, no matter what the outcome of the score. What is most infuriating to those of us who send lots of money, as well as our childen, to Tuscaloosa was that he did something so stupid. He is predicted to go quite high in the draft, and what did he have to lose by playing one more game?

His absence meant that only two of the five offensive linemen were playing their normal position. Combine that with a QB who is not very good outside the pocket, and the reduction in offense was to be expected.

My alma mater of Kentucky did quite well against East Carolina in what the announcers were referring to as the "Knee Bowl". In case you missed it, there were four clear instances of ECU return men with a knee in contact with the ground, but only once was it called.

By the way, this may be the only time that I feel qualified to discuss football with you. I have now officially drained my knowledge base.

Happy New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
      How do you NOT bench the tackle (Andre Smith)??? He had inappropriate contact with an agent. If Bama had not taken the action, they were gravely at risk of losing the game, no matter what the outcome of the score. What is most infuriating to those of us who send lots of money, as well as our childen, to Tuscaloosa was that he did something so stupid. He is predicted to go quite high in the draft, and what did he have to lose by playing one more game?

His absence meant that only two of the five offensive linemen were playing their normal position. Combine that with a QB who is not very good outside the pocket, and the reduction in offense was to be expected.

My alma mater of Kentucky did quite well against East Carolina in what the announcers were referring to as the "Knee Bowl". In case you missed it, there were four clear instances of ECU return men with a knee in contact with the ground, but only once was it called.

By the way, this may be the only time that I feel qualified to discuss football with you. I have now officially drained my knowledge base.

Happy New Year.
      I saw a flatter than a pancake Bama team look totally disinterested vs a stoked Utah team. Not sure how much impact the benching of Smith played in that. I do know it didn't help the situation. I'm guessing Saban thought he could win without him........wrong!!!!!!!! I play the guy, I win the game. If we have to forfeit the game later.....big deal! Everyone knows who the better team was.

It will be a very Happy New Year if the Gators beat Oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
        I saw a flatter than a pancake Bama team look totally disinterested vs a stoked Utah team.
        I would have never guessed that Utah would beat Bama, but as I watched the game, Utah outquicked Bama in almost every department and that wins football games.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          I saw a flatter than a pancake Bama team look totally disinterested vs a stoked Utah team.
          I would have never guessed that Utah would beat Bama, but as I watched the game, Utah outquicked Bama in almost every department and that wins football games.
          Trust me, I know when I'm seeing a team not wanting to be there...ok? Alabama is Alabama. They aren't suppose to go from top ranked to playing the Utah's of the world. They needed a game vs Texas or Ohio State. No way were they up for a team from Utah. While the little guys are in a totally different frame of mind. They are excited to be in with a team like Alabama. Not unlike App State vs Michigan.

Comment

Trust me, I know when I'm seeing a team not wanting to be there...ok? Alabama is Alabama. They aren't suppose to go from top ranked to playing the Utah's of the world. They needed a game vs Texas or Ohio State. No way were they up for a team from Utah. While the little guys are in a totally different frame of mind. They are excited to be in with a team like Alabama. Not unlike App State vs Michigan.
            What happened last year when undefeated, happy-to-be-there Hawaii took on onerlooked, disrespected Georgia?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
              What happened last year when undefeated, happy-to-be-there Hawaii took on onerlooked, disrespected Georgia?
              Did you see the game? Georgia came out ready to kick some butt. They were as jacked up as Hawaii was. Did you see the Bama vs Utah game? Familiar with the term......body language? Bama wasn't into it for some reason and it was very obvious.

Comment

Did you see the game? Georgia came out ready to kick some butt. They were as jacked up as Hawaii was. Did you see the Bama vs Utah game? Familiar with the term......body language? Bama wasn't into it for some reason and it was very obvious.
                But you said earlier that the reason Alabama wasn't up for the game is because playing Utah was a big letdown from playing in the championship game. And I'm saying that a similar dynamic existed with Georgia last year when their coach, Mark Richt, was lobbying to get into the championship game, but got passed over by LSU, and ended up getting stuck playing Hawaii. If it's all about being underwhelmed by the opponent, then why was Georgia able to perform on the smaller stage, but not Alabama?

Comment

But you said earlier that the reason Alabama wasn't up for the game is because playing Utah was a big letdown from playing in the championship game. And I'm saying that a similar dynamic existed with Georgia last year when their coach, Mark Richt, was lobbying to get into the championship game, but got passed over by LSU, and ended up getting stuck playing Hawaii. If it's all about being underwhelmed by the opponent, then why was Georgia able to perform on the smaller stage, but not Alabama?
                  How did the Cleveland Browns beat the NY Giants but couldn't beat the Bengals? There are no absolutes with this. Sometimes for some reason or another it's just not there. Georgia wanted to beat Hawaii, you could see the intensity. Alabama couldn't have cared less. There is no.."well if Georgia"...with this. Two different teams, two different situations, two different coachs. Hell yes Alabama was disinterested, how more obvious could it have been? I saw it before kickoff...you didn't?

Comment

There are no absolutes with this. Sometimes for some reason or another it's just not there.
                    So you're admitting that your theory is rubbish.
                    Georgia wanted to beat Hawaii, you could see the intensity. Alabama couldn't have cared less.
                    And Alabama didn't want to beat Utah? :?
                    There is no.."well if Georgia"...with this. Two different teams, two different situations, two different coachs. Hell yes Alabama was disinterested, how more obvious could it have been? I saw it before kickoff...you didn't?
                    No, I didn't see it. But if I had your mind reading machine, I guarantee you that I would use it for a lot more profitable endeavors than pontificating on this message board. :wink:

Comment

There are no absolutes with this. Sometimes for some reason or another it's just not there.
                      So you're admitting that your theory is rubbish.
                      Georgia wanted to beat Hawaii, you could see the intensity. Alabama couldn't have cared less.
                      And Alabama didn't want to beat Utah? :?
                      There is no.."well if Georgia"...with this. Two different teams, two different situations, two different coachs. Hell yes Alabama was disinterested, how more obvious could it have been? I saw it before kickoff...you didn't?
                      No, I didn't see it. But if I had your mind reading machine, I guarantee you that I would use it for a lot more profitable endeavors than pontificating on this message board. :wink:
                      You start playing/watching football as a kid. As the years go by you start picking up on things. When I see a team's mood/body language prior to a game, I can tell how into the moment they are. Not saying that mood can't change as the games goes on. Alabama was flat and it was obvious. Utah was sky high and that was obvious. If... you ..aren't able to get a feel for the mood of a team......not my problem!

I got into football around...hmm...1960...how about you?

Comment

For me it was Fall 1971 (9 years old) that I first started to watch football seriously. I remember the famous Chiefs-Dolphins playoff game vividly. I put on pads for my first organized football game for the first time in 1972.

Comment

1958 - watching NY Giants games with my dad, we got most of the home games on a local NY TV station or CBS!

Charlie Conerly
                          Frank Gifford
                          Don Maynard
                          Pat Summerall
                          Don Chandler
                          Kyle Rote

We were fans of Johnny U too, but he broke our hearts when he beat our Giants in the Championship Game.

Been a fan ever since, but never as much as back then.

Comment

Working...
                          X