Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Harry is back!

in Gran Torino. Well, Clint may not be Det. Callahan, but you'll recognize all the old mannerisms, grimaces, voice inflections, and blunt behavior. The film is a scream (he is, after all, 78 years old, and actually looks and acts older, but still with the really bad behavior and penchant for big guns) for the first hour or so and then turns deadly serious. The ending is telegraphed, but welcome anyway, and, oddly enough, it's a feel-good movie from start to finish. Harry fans will like it.

Is he really playing the last white man on earth in this movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
      Not literally. Maybe the last openly racist/sexist pig.

Comment

Holiday guests disrupted my movie schedule but I took the last of them to the airport Monday. Dirty Harry is my all time fictional movie hero and Gran Torino is first up when it gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          Gran Torino is first up when it gets here.
          You will be both appalled at his -isms, yet amused by his cavalier attitude. I gasped and laughed a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            Holiday guests disrupted my movie schedule but I took the last of them to the airport Monday. Dirty Harry is my all time fictional movie hero and Gran Torino is first up when it gets here.

I've thought for a while now that the Dirty Harry franchise should be started up again, a' la Bond. A different (younger!) actor, but the flavor retained with Clint himself directing.

The first movie put me in love with the Bay Area before I ever set foot there--quite a feat considering it was about a psycho killer! It was a magnificent visual tribute to his "hometown" by Eastwood.

Comment

Finally got to see Gran Torino. Pretty powerful movie. It did not dissapoint as entertainment. I knew what was coming but kept wanting to re-write the ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                The first movie put me in love with the Bay Area before I ever set foot there--quite a feat considering it was about a psycho killer! It was a magnificent visual tribute to his "hometown" by Eastwood.
                SanFran of course has an incredibly muscular past that may seem today a completely disconnected and ancient past. One of its lost legacies is that it was the absolute boxing capital of the west. One can easily imagine Harry Callahan as the grandson of one of those high caliber pugilist who fought under very near bare knuckle rules for mere pocket change.

Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by Per Andersen
                Not literally. Maybe the last openly racist/sexist pig.
                Openly racist and sexist men will multiply and prosper long after the last white man has gone the way of the Algonquin.
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                  Openly racist and sexist men will multiply and prosper long after the last white man has gone the way of the Algonquin.
                  I think after Tuesday that's going to be a very difficult proposition.

Comment

Saw Gran Torino yesterday. Pretty good but I guess I was disappointed a bit. Looking forward now to seeing Taken, which has to have the best preview for a movie I've ever seen. Liam Neeson is positively frightening in that preview.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                      Looking forward now to seeing Taken, which has to have the best preview for a movie I've ever seen. Liam Neeson is positively frightening in that preview.
                      Absolutely. He's got that quiet don't-mess-with-me persona.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        I think after Tuesday that's going to be a very difficult proposition.
                        very funny!
                        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

SanFran of course has an incredibly muscular past that may seem today a completely disconnected and ancient past. One of its lost legacies is that it was the absolute boxing capital of the west. One can easily imagine Harry Callahan as the grandson of one of those high caliber pugilist who fought under very near bare knuckle rules for mere pocket change. [quote]

For what it's worth, a series of novels in the 80's (approved by the Finks, who created the character, I believe) named Harry as a native of Boston, hinting he left for the West Coast after his wife died in a car crash caused by a drunk driver (as mentioned in the first film).

Comment

For what it's worth, a series of novels in the 80's (approved by the Finks, who created the character, I believe) named Harry as a native of Boston, hinting he left for the West Coast after his wife died in a car crash caused by a drunk driver (as mentioned in the first film).
                            I should have known he was the great great grandson of John L. Sullivan.

Comment

SanFran of course has an incredibly muscular past that may seem today a completely disconnected and ancient past.
                              SF is still plenty muscular . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X