Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Shut Up and Sing"

Yesterday, I was more or less couch-bound, with a heavy duty chest cold.
    So my TV viewing window intersected with one of my Movie Channel's scheduled presentation of the Documentary Film about and with the Dixie Chicks, entitled "Shut Up and Sing".
    I am an unabashed fan, so this post is an attempt to do a reality check on the film. I found it to be brilliant, fascinating and honest in presenting the Chicks version of how their lives have gone since the 2003 incident, in which lead singer Nathalie Maines said at a live concert in London that she was embarassed that the President of the USA was from Texas. After watching
    the flick, I am an uber-fan.
    So, my question is, to others that have caught the film, what did you think of it? I don't really care i f you like them or their politics, or even their music, but
    what about the film itself? I would love to hear your opinion.

When your cold gets better, you wont have to lay around and watch that crap. Entertainers, actors and jocks should stay in their chosen fields, no one gives a crap about their opinions on anything outside their fields, that is unless you want to get laid by one. I'll believe anything Shania Twain says.

I only care about my polititians because their actions affect me. Nothing an entertainer, actor or jock does will affect me in any way unless I want it to!

Next time you get sick.......watch the "Bucket List".

Comment

It's on my Netflix queue, and I don't even like them that much. I think I caught a little bit of it on cable, and I'm interested in seeing the movie. I'm guessing it focuses more on the reaction by the C&W radio stations and how it affected the Chicks. I somewhat agree with Jack above, that celebrities giving political views should not hold much water, but the vicious reaction to the Dixie Chicks statement was somewhat indicative of the huge divide that has come to pass in this country. Much to it's detriment, in my opinion.

Comment

I like the Chicks, too. A shame what happened to them. If they said the same thing today, it probably wouldn't hurt them. But the timing of Natalie Maines could not have been worse.

Many Music Row people are Democrats BTW. But as someone said, they probably don't work politics into their act.

http://musicrowdemocrats.com/press/inde ... 6&Itemid=1

Comment

Oh Jack, Jack, Jack...
          I was hoping to keep the thread somewhat apolitical, however I guess you agree with the tagline of the Film which is "free speech is fine as long as you don't do it in public".
          Or perhaps you agree with Lewis Dickey, spokesperson for media giant, Cumulus Media. Under heavy grilling by such as Liberal Wacko John McCain, during a 2003 Senate Commerce Committee hearing on radio ownership (focusing on freedom of speech and diversity of opinion issues),
          said that the decision to boycott the Chicks was a "collaborative decision-making process --- Everybody fell in line".
          And the movie was far from crap. It is one of those that I would like to watch several times over, and in fact will check if it's available at the local DVD outlet tomorrow. Subsequent to my earlier post, I did a little web research and discovered that "Shut Up and Sing" was judged to be Best Documentary Film at dozens of major film festivals around the Country and around the World.
          And as for the timing of the comment, Bill. The film shows the Chicks watching the U.S. forces gathering on the borders of Iraq, as they are getting ready to start the concert in London. And a million peace protesters marching in London against the imminent War that very day. So, that was the context...
          Anyways, I highly recommend this film. It is interesting on so many levels, whether one thinks celebrities should speak out, or just shut up and sing.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
            Oh Jack, Jack, Jack...
            I was hoping to keep the thread somewhat apolitical,
            ahhhh, yyeeeaaaa.. .rigghhhhhhht.

Originally posted by rasb
            I did a little web research and discovered that "Shut Up and Sing" was judged to be Best Documentary Film at dozens of major film festivals around the Country and around the World.
            and Albert Gore is a Nobel Peace Prize winner.
            ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
              Entertainers, actors and jocks should stay in their chosen fields, no one gives a crap about their opinions on anything outside their fields
              Yeah, Ronald Reagan should have shut the F up. :P

Comment

Working...
              X