Edesel Garrison
    Travis Williams
    Don Shy
    Bobby Mitchell
    Frank Pitts
    El Dubenion
    Odell Barry
    Rod Woodson...Purdue...a hurdler who might have ran a 10.40 100
    Edesel Garrison...USC...did he ever really play?
    Travis Williams....ASU...he's in heat 1
    Don Shy...A 13.4 hurdler at San Diego State. 100..???
    Bobby Mitchell...A 9.6/13.7 guy while at Ilinois
    Frank Pitts...he might have ran a 9.5 while at Southern U
    El Dubenion....I have a 9.7 while at Blufton
    Odell Barry....what did he run the 100 in?
    I'd like to see a similar list of British footballers(soccer) to compare with what has been posted so far, since they like to call American football players a bunch of unathletic fat guys.

Comment

Re: Football 100M

Originally posted by Vince
      Originally posted by Texas
      Originally posted by bijanc
      Rod Woodson
      Edesel Garrison
      Travis Williams
      Don Shy
      Bobby Mitchell
      Frank Pitts
      El Dubenion
      Odell Barry
      Rod Woodson...Purdue...a hurdler who might have ran a 10.40 100
      Edesel Garrison...USC...did he ever really play?
      Travis Williams....ASU...he's in heat 1
      Don Shy...A 13.4 hurdler at San Diego State. 100..???
      Bobby Mitchell...A 9.6/13.7 guy while at Ilinois
      Frank Pitts...he might have ran a 9.5 while at Southern U
      El Dubenion....I have a 9.7 while at Blufton
      Odell Barry....what did he run the 100 in?
      I'd like to see a similar list of British footballers(soccer) to compare with what has been posted so far, since they like to call American football players a bunch of unathletic fat guys.
      There are no soccer/rugby players who compare to the skilled position American footballers. Other than in the cardio conditioning category. Yes there it is soccer and rugby. When it comes to speed, quickness, power and agilty it's all about American football.

Comment

Yeah, Napolean Kaufman never ran faster than 10.4 that I know of... but he was not just a quick guy. He doubled at the California State Meet with a stronger 200 than 100 (10.57 / 21.15) as an 11th grader and never ran seriously again on the track. He was one very fast dude, we'll never know how fast he could have become but I'd bet a lot of money on him versus some of the other names being thrown around on this thread, especially a lot of the hurdlers.

Comment

Doesn't Jim Thorpe fit in here somewhere? What about other early names who were both t&f and football?

Comment

You guys forgot Deion Sanders, whose 10.26 and 20.71 are still on Florida State's all-time top 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
              Doesn't Jim Thorpe fit in here somewhere? What about other early names who were both t&f and football?
              I went with what was actually ran. Thorpe never ran a 9.5/10.40. As far as I know nobody pre Buddy Young/Bob Boyd was running a sub 9.6. What did Army's Glenn "Mr.Outside" Davis run?

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
                You guys forgot Deion Sanders, whose 10.26 and 20.71 are still on Florida State's all-time top 10.
                Now there's a guy like Darrel Green who might have really been something in the sprints if not for football. He's up there now~!

Comment

The football 100 metres

Hurdlers and the NFL?How could you have missed '48 silver medalist Clyde Scott?As far as your knowledge on fast white guys goes you need to do more research and get an update.I could give you some obvious players but I'll go with the more obscure.There was Bert Coan who ran a 9.4 100 yard dash,Craig Baynham a 9.7 and Norm Bulaich.Yup,Boo ran a 9.6.A wideout by the name of Doug Donley of the Cowboys ran 4.3 in the 40.Jim Tomlin was a corner in the CFL but I'll include him because of his great speed.He ran a 9.27 in the 100 and in the 40 a smoking 4.22.Now go do some more studying.

Comment

Re: The football 100 metres

Originally posted by lafleur
                    Hurdlers and the NFL?How could you have missed '48 silver medalist Clyde Scott?As far as your knowledge on fast white guys goes you need to do more research and get an update.I could give you some obvious players but I'll go with the more obscure.There was Bert Coan who ran a 9.4 100 yard dash,Craig Baynham a 9.7 and Norm Bulaich.Yup,Boo ran a 9.6.A wideout by the name of Doug Donley of the Cowboys ran 4.3 in the 40.Jim Tomlin was a corner in the CFL but I'll include him because of his great speed.He ran a 9.27 in the 100 and in the 40 a smoking 4.22.Now go do some more studying.
                    Did I not mention 9.5/10.40 as far as sprinters go? Bert Coan the old Cheifs running back and a 9.4? I saw him play both at Kansas and in the old AFL. I never got the feeling he was overly fast. The speedster with the Cheifs was Abner Haynes who kept Coan on the bench. Yes I've read that 9.4 but always thought.....windy!!!!

Bro, I've been at this since the early 60's, if he ran track and played NFL football I'm aware of him.....trust me! Clyde Scott might have slipped by because he came before the 60's. Yes I have boned up on those tracksters/footballers prior to the 60's so I'm guessing Scott did little on the football field for him to go unnoticed.

Jim Tomlin did not run a 9.27/4.22. Where did you get that?

I 'm pretty confident I can hang if we are talking speed and the NFL.

The All Time NFL 110's would look like this...

lane

1.Milt Campbell...Indiana
                    2.Jerry Tarr...Oregon
                    3.Earl McCullouch...USC
                    4.Renaldo Nehemiah...Maryland
                    5.Willie Gault...Tennessee
                    6.Rod Woodson....Purdue
                    7.Richmond Flowers...Tennnessee
                    8.James Owens...UCLA

...you disagree?

Comment

www.zoominfo.com/people/Tomlin_Jim_691409338.aspx[/url][/u] If not just google Jim Tomlin Stephen F.Austin University.

Comment

www.zoominfo.com/people/Tomlin_Jim_691409338.aspx[/url][/u] If not just google Jim Tomlin Stephen F.Austin University.
                        If you look at my original post you'll notice Andrew Hopkins in heat 2. He's the 100m leader at SFA with a 10.1. He also had a 9.2 100 yarder. Why would I be aware of him and not Tomlin? I don't pay attention to windy times so....hmm? All I've found on Tomlin is this...

"In a flat-out race, John Carlos would beat me every time I ran against him, which was about 15 or 16 times in all the track meets I ran against him," Tomlin told Sportsnet.ca. "I did beat him one time anchoring the 440-yard conference relay in 1967 in San Marcos, Texas. We set the record that day, but I never beat him in the 100 or 220. If I ran a 9.4, he'd run a 9.3 or I ran a 9.3, he'd run a 9.2."

He might have slipped thru the cracks but it would surprise me. What's with those electro times didn't he run before that became the way things were done?

Comment

The football 100 metres

Here's a quote from Jim Tomlin taken from the article that I can't link."I was clocked at 4.22 in the 40 at our training camp at San Diego,California.Tom Fears said he had never seen a faster 40 in all his years and they saved the stopwatch with the exact time on it.It was in the Saints office for several years I understand."So maybe you do not know of this guy is simply because we can't know everything.Simple.

Comment

Re: The football 100 metres

Here's a quote from Jim Tomlin taken from the article that I can't link."I was clocked at 4.22 in the 40 at our training camp at San Diego,California.Tom Fears said he had never seen a faster 40 in all his years and they saved the stopwatch with the exact time on it.It was in the Saints office for several years I understand."So maybe you do not know of this guy is simply because we can't know everything.Simple.
                            Come on bro, that coming from Mr.Tomlin..?????? Who was timing 40's in electro times back then?

The deal is if he played football and ran track I've done all I can to keep up with that aspect of sports. I guess you could say...hobby. Started doing this around 62 or so. If somebody did slip by I would be surprised. Tomlin playing in the CFL might be how he slipped by. I don't look there. I do know about George Reed however 8-)

Comment

Clyde "Smackover" Scott, College Football HOF

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/e ... tryID=2761

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Scott

Bad dude.

Comment

www.zoominfo.com/people/Tomlin_Jim_690114704.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X