Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cardinals..????

I've never talked about the Chicago/St.Louis/Arizona Cardinals before. They have however had a few stud players over the years. Guys like Larry Wilson a Hall of Fame safety. There was speedster Mel "9.2" Gray. They had Heisman winner John David Crow out of Texas A&M, then there was the elusive Terry Metcalf out of Long Beach State. Big Ottis Anderson was a Cardinal. When Charley Johnson was QBing (60's) he had one of the best receiving duos in the league in Sonny Randle and Bobby Joe Conrad another A&M Aggie. Then there was Jim Hart.

The first Cardinal "star" however was Olympian Ollie Matson who scored 6 times on kick returns between 1952-58 then he was traded to the LA Rams for nine players. Yep..nine players!

If the Eagles hold on, we will see the NFC title game played in the desert. There I think the Cards do have a legit shot at beating Philly. The Arizona Cardinals in a Superbowl??? Never thought I'd type that.

Re: The Cardinals..????

Originally posted by Texas
    The Arizona Cardinals in a Superbowl??? Never thought I'd type that.

I'm less surprised about the Cardinals than I am about Carolina losing so BIG!

It's now Sunday night, and the only home team to win was Pittsburgh.

Whoda thunk---?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
      The Arizona Cardinals in a Superbowl??? Never thought I'd type that.

I'm less surprised about the Cardinals than I am about Carolina losing so BIG!

It's now Sunday night, and the only home team to win was Pittsburgh.

Whoda thunk---?
      Historically speaking the home teams especially in round two rule these playoff games. If all you did was bet on home teams to win in the playoffs over the years you'd be sitting pretty good by now. This season we saw something unigue. I didn't see it coming, who did? Who backs the Cards vs a 8-0 at home Panthers team? Who knew Eli Manning would play that badly "in" New York?

I do however see the Steelers beating the Ravens "in" Pittsburg. Big Ben vs a rookie QB in the cold/elements? I can't however get a feel for the Cards vs Eagles? No clue!

Comment

I can't however get a feel for the Cards vs Eagles? No clue!

From a national and media viewpoint, it would be great to have the Eagles and Cardinals in the SB (not possible, of course). Eagles and San Diego even better, as far as markets go (also not possible, at least this time).

An East-West contest with the "grizzled veteran" storyline of Warner vs McNabb would have journalists salivating.

I like underdogs, so I'd like to see Arizona and Baltimore. But Philly has an intriguing slant to their story this season (and there's no denying they're playing well), and Pittsburgh is always so tough when it comes to crunchtime, it's fun watching a team with their kind of pride in their tradition.

I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy watching whoever makes it!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
          I can't however get a feel for the Cards vs Eagles? No clue!

From a national and media viewpoint, it would be great to have the Eagles and Cardinals in the SB (not possible, of course). Eagles and San Diego even better, as far as markets go (also not possible, at least this time).

An East-West contest with the "grizzled veteran" storyline of Warner vs McNabb would have journalists salivating.

I like underdogs, so I'd like to see Arizona and Baltimore. But Philly has an intriguing slant to their story this season (and there's no denying they're playing well), and Pittsburgh is always so tough when it comes to crunchtime, it's fun watching a team with their kind of pride in their tradition.

I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy watching whoever makes it!
          I've also thought that the NFL needs to drop this AFC/NFC bit and have a system where any two teams can play in the biggie.

Comment

[quote="Texas" I've also thought that the NFL needs to drop this AFC/NFC bit and have a system where any two teams can play in the biggie.[/quote]

Interesting--a whole new type of stat: SB's with both teams former NFC or AFC.

I always used to pay less attention to the SB than the conference championship. Those were simply better games.

Comment

[quote=Brian]
              Originally posted by "Texas" I've also thought that the NFL needs to drop this AFC/NFC bit and have a system where any two teams can play in the biggie.[/quote

Interesting--a whole new type of stat: SB's with both teams former NFC or AFC.

I always used to pay less attention to the SB than the conference championship. Those were simply better games.
              The Steelers were a member of the old NFL Eastern Division once upon a time. They were the worst team in the league for years. Their only star was a bully of a fullback named John Henry Johnson who is in the Hall of Fame.

They were in with...

New York Giants
              Washington Redskins
              Philly Eagles
              St.Louis Cardinals
              Cleveland Browns
              Dallas Cowboys

The Western Conference was...

LA Rams
              San Francisco 49ers
              Minnesota Vikings
              Baltimore Colts
              Green Bay Packers
              Detroit Lions
              Chicago Bears

The old AFL had...

Eastern Conference

New York Titans/Jets
              Houston Oilers
              Boston Patriots
              Buffalo Bills

Western Conference

Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs
              LA/San Diego Chargers
              Denver Broncos
              Oakland Raiders

Lot of changes...huh?

When the leagues merged that brought the Steelers, Colts and Browns over to the AFL/AFC.

Comment

Working...
              X