Guidance on D.C places to stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guidance on D.C places to stay?

Trying to figure out the best neighborhood to rent a condo/townhouse for a week with kids (elementary age) in Washington D.C. VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner) has a lot in Capitol Hill, some near Dupont Circle, the Convention Center, and in Adams Morgan. I'm leaning toward the Dupont Circle area, Capitol Hill sounds pretty OK safety-wise, though with some variability street to street, sounds like fewer places to eat in Capitol Hill. Got a map with all the Metro lines/stops. Any advice from you experts?

Back in the early days of this Internet thing (1993) I used it to rent a place in Washington. Based on that, my last trip to DC, I can tell you where not to stay. As I recall as I was looking around Dupont Circle on that trip I was thinking 'why the hell didn't I stay here??'

Comment

I can't give you any "where" recommendations, but in the "when" department allow me to suggest that this weekend will be a bad time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I can't give you any "where" recommendations, but in the "when" department allow me to suggest that this weekend will be a bad time :-)
        Wow. Mr. Geography has no "where" recs. I guess not much T&F in D.C.'s history.

Comment

because I have few other options, virtually all my travel is track related. Total amount of time spent in D.C. perhaps two hours (sobbing at the Vietnam Wall and the Lincoln Monument), en route from train station to the meet in Fairfax about 15 years ago.

Comment

I leased a townhouse near DuPont circle for several months in 2006. Convenient to Metro and all necessary services. Probably as safe as any area in DC.

Comment

Being from Maryland, I can vouch for Dupont Circle. It's a modern little nook in DC with nice eateries, quaint shops and a tame, but decent night life. Everything is within walking distance. The Metro in DC will get you anywhere you want to go. However, remember that pretty much everyone and their mom will be on the Metro since DC has pretty much banned cars down there starting this weekend I believe.
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Looking for March. Crazy to go there this next week, I'll watch it on TV.

Comment

Northwest DC is by and large the best area for tourists with quite a bit of variety and safety. Dupont Circle is probably the safest and most enjoyable in NW DC. We haven't had many bonfied winters out here for about five years. This year is no different. It will probably start warming up some by March, which will enable you to get outside some and see the sights.
                  If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Knowing DC quite well with experiences that mirror badhammy's, I would advise that if you feel compelled to stay in DC proper follow Deitmar's advice and stay in Dupont Circle else it may be worthwhile to consider a good hotel or condo on the farther ends of the blue/yellow or orange lines and take the train in. If it were me with the kids, I would take the later option.
                    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Thanks for the recs. Found several flats within five blocks of Dupont, guest comments saying they felt safe walking home there with kids, etc, etc. Talked to one owner this a.m. who said the craziness of the next week is starting.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                        Thanks for the recs. Found several flats within five blocks of Dupont, guest comments saying they felt safe walking home there with kids, etc, etc. Talked to one owner this a.m. who said the craziness of the next week is starting.
                        5 blocks can be a continental divide in DC.
                        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

I used to live in DC, and have visited many times since. Absent some specific interest that would highlight some other area of the city, I would recommend the Dupont Circle area for most visitors. Plenty of options for lodging. Good metro stop; things to do right there, and easy to get around the city to/from there.

Comment

Having lived in both DC and the metro area for the past 22 years, like the others have said, DuPont Circle is a good bet when it comes to safety and eats for both you & the kiddies. Given the traffic restrictions, Metro will be the best way to get around the area although I would suggest do a lot of advance planning in terms of leaving early in order to get to your target destination by the time you plan to arrive due to the large #s of people riding Metro.

Be prepared to walk alot as many of the Metro stops near the both the parade route & Capitol Hill will have limit access with crowd control/flow overtones. If you get a chance, check out Chinatown (7th & H Streets NW) and Georgetown (along the M Street corridor past 25th Street, NW)...lots of great restaruants. Plus Chinatown is close to a lot of the various Smithsonian Museums.

Comment

Dupont Circle area was the right place to stay. Highly recommend it if you go to D.C. Felt safe, lots of places to eat, Metro access right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X