Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the most obscure song on your iPod?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the most obscure song on your iPod?

I was transferring some music from one machine to another and came across a gem I forgot i owned. What do you have that might compare to Whistlin' Jack Smith doing I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman?

search for it on YouTube for a video.

(note: "obscure" in this instance means songs that were actually mainstream hits, not your local garage band)

The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins - Leonard Nimoy

Seriously.

Comment

Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks.

Comment

I Am the God of Hell Fire by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Comment

Re: what's the most obscure song on your iPod?

Originally posted by gh
          (note: "obscure" in this instance means songs that were actually mainstream hits, not your local garage band)
          Seems an odd definition of "obscure" - so you really just want to know what one hit wonders folks have on the ipods?

Comment

I've got a couple of songs from the Pacific Northwest that charted on the Top 30 but Does Your Momma Know About Me by Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers is probably one of the most obscure. Tommy Chong was in the band.

A couple of other PNW hits on my pod that made the national charts are Sunny Goodge Street by Tom Northcott, You Turn Me On which was an accidental hit for Ian Whitcomb and The Witch by The Sonics.

Almost forgot...Have I The Right by the Honeycombs. They were produced by the incredibly strange Joe Meek who was the man behind the instrumental hit, Telstar.

cman :shock: ops:

Comment

Originally posted by AS
              Originally posted by gh
              Seems an odd definition of "obscure" - so you really just want to know what one hit wonders folks have on the ipods?
              Well, there are one-hit wonders and there are one-hit wonders... I'm looking for the bottom feeders in that department; some one-hit stuff was truly great (picking something at random, 2525 by Zagar & Evans), others some years later leave you scratching your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins - Leonard Nimoy

Seriously.

Yikes :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04
                There are no strings on me

Comment

I f i had a i-pod i would have "Midnight" by Jimi Hendrix. It was basically a jam that ended up on a album, War Heroes, that came out after he died but its his best guitar playing he has ever played.

And here it is- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-38Yc92IDg
                  phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Originally posted by AS
                    Originally posted by gh
                    Well, there are one-hit wonders and there are one-hit wonders... I'm looking for the bottom feeders in that department; some one-hit stuff was truly great (picking something at random, 2525 by Zagar & Evans), others some years later leave you scratching your head.
                    I second AS's puzzlement over this definition... Some of the most fascinating songs from this era were exactly those by "local" garage bands that may have achieved regional, but not national, recognition. However, my opinion is worth nothing here since I don't own an eye-pod.

Comment

Yes, but a thread in which people name their favorite regional hits, methinks, would be the very definition of "did you ever make a thread-killing post?" It's the equivalent of "after diinner we'll sit down and look at slides of our trip home for mom's 60th birthday party."

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        It's the equivalent of "after diinner we'll sit down and look at slides of our trip home for mom's 60th birthday party."
                        Name the time & place; I'll be there will bells on.

Comment

got a time machine?

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                            I've got a couple of songs from the Pacific Northwest that charted on the Top 30 but Does Your Momma Know About Me by Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers is probably one of the most obscure. Tommy Chong was in the band.

A couple of other PNW hits on my pod that made the national charts are Sunny Goodge Street by Tom Northcott, You Turn Me On which was an accidental hit for Ian Whitcomb and The Witch by The Sonics.

Almost forgot...Have I The Right by the Honeycombs. They were produced by the incredibly strange Joe Meek who was the man behind the instrumental hit, Telstar.

Not only do I have The Witch by The Sonics, also have the far-superior :-) Psycho! Both are included on Rhino's Psychedelic Nuggets compilation.

Have I The Right is on Volume 1 of the must-have British Invasion series. (anybody of a certain age simply has to have all nine of those)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by cullman

Not only do I have The Witch by The Sonics, also have the far-superior :-) Psycho! Both are included on Rhino's Psychedelic Nuggets compilation.

Have I The Right is on Volume 1 of the must-have British Invasion series. (anybody of a certain age simply has to have all nine of those)
                              This is exactly the sort of stuff I was hinting at in my earlier commentary: the kind of material on the Rhino compilations. The Sonics were amazing--"Psycho-Sonic" is a good compilation of their best work...

Comment

Working...
                              X