• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Texas
    Jim Thorpe vs the competition that Bo Jackson faced..??????? Thorpe does not run away from NFL defensive backs or run over Brian Bosworth. Now it's getting ridiculous.
    Texas - you still don't get it?! Everything is relative. Thorpe DOMINATED his era, just as BoJ dominated his brief sojourn with us. That's all we're saying. You can NOT . . . EVER . . . compare athletes across eras. You can try . . . and lord knows, everyone seems to try, but it's pointless.
    I'm agreeing that yes you leave athetes in their era. I think you missed my point.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Halfmiler2
    I loved his Nike commercials. Especially the one in which he is jogging on the street and turns his head sideways to the camera and says: "Another day, another sport." and keeps on jogging. Are the commercials on the Internet somewhere?
    Youknowwhere has a great one: "Bo Jackson Nike"

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    MLB has an independent scouting organizaiton that the various teams can use to get a fairly unbiased assessment of talent, beyond just their own scouts. They rank each athlete on a scale of 20 to 80 (wish I knew why!), with 80 being perfection. They use that scale for running, fielding, and hitting potential, then average the scores for a final tally. Bo Jackson tied for the highest score ever given by this group at 78. His potential in baseball was actually better than his football promise. That is saying something about a Heismann winner!

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    I loved his Nike commercials. Especially the one in which he is jogging on the street and turns his head sideways to the camera and says: "Another day, another sport." and keeps on jogging. Are the commercials on the Internet somewhere?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas
    Jim Thorpe vs the competition that Bo Jackson faced..??????? Thorpe does not run away from NFL defensive backs or run over Brian Bosworth. Now it's getting ridiculous.
    Texas - you still don't get it?! Everything is relative. Thorpe DOMINATED his era, just as BoJ dominated his brief sojourn with us. That's all we're saying. You can NOT . . . EVER . . . compare athletes across eras. You can try . . . and lord knows, everyone seems to try, but it's pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam
    Originally posted by Zat0pek
    I got to see Bo play when he played for the Royals. I'll never forget watching the All-Star game when he batted lead-off and went yard on the very first pitch of the game.

I remain convinced that Bo was the greatest all-around athlete in history.
    Jim Thorpe, still
    And here's to you, Jackie Robinson!

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by Zat0pek
    I got to see Bo play when he played for the Royals. I'll never forget watching the All-Star game when he batted lead-off and went yard on the very first pitch of the game.

Jim Thorpe, still

Leave a comment:

• Zat0pek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    What about Calvin Johnson or Jevon Kearse in the Decathlon?
    Oooooh - the Freak's 7'2 wing span would be murderous in the Discus!

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    I cannot imagine what he or Herschel Walker or Junior Seau would have done in the Decathlon.
    What about Calvin Johnson or Jevon Kearse in the Decathlon?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Here are ten minutes of highlights
    What a great video. I love the 'walk the wall', the breaking of bats over the knee or (helmeted) head, the stiff arms, the make Deion (!!!!) miss, the jet gear to run away, but most of all, I love the 'put the shoulder down and run through people'! I suspect his real last name was El, as in Kal-.

Leave a comment:

• catson52
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Bo Jackson is the owner of the 'What-if career-ending injury' that pisses me off the most. He was great fun to watch in both football and baseball, a sure hall-of-famer in one and possibly both.

Here are ten minutes of highlights: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4722060873
    Not a great fan of football. But seeing Bo in this clip, his (sustained) speed, his moves/quick cuts, his Maradona type of sudden acceleration, his great right forearm, running over tacklers a la Jim Brown, this really looks like the all-time great.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Bo Jackson is the owner of the 'What-if career-ending injury' that pisses me off the most. He was great fun to watch in both football and baseball, a sure hall-of-famer in one and possibly both.

Here are ten minutes of highlights: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4722060873

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
    I am struggling to picture Seau running the 1500............. :shock:
    Yeah, since SOOO many decathletes excelled in it!
    Yeah, but I even struggle to see him running the 400 or the hurdles, or pole vaulting. Great, great athlete, no doubt, but I just don't see him as a decathlete.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X