Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Oscars

BOO!!!!!

Dark Knight was snubbed by the nattering nabobs of the Academy! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Instead, POLITICAL, i.e., Zero Box Office (and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz-inducing) films like Frost/Nixon and Milk cleaned up. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Must Hollywood ALWAYS be so effetely pretentiously snobby? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully next year the Nobel people will realize the error of their ways and give a lifetime achievement prize in literature for Stan Lee's body of work on Spiderman, Incredible Hulk, Fantastic 4, et al.

C'mon, Dark Knight was absolutely unwatchable; I turned it off after 15 minutes.

Comment

I'll go with Dark Knight was watchable, and Ledger was great as the Joker. But while not having seen any of the Oscar Best Picture nominees, I can definitely say that if Dark Knight was qualified for the BP award then it was a very bad year in Hollywood . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
        it was a very bad year in Hollywood . . .
        If the pictures that WERE nominated are an indication of Hollywood's year, it's the worst on record!

Comment

The Good News is that the crapola from Hollywood pales in comparison to the current brilliance in Washington, DC. The Bad News is that we are considered too immature to discuss that reality.

Comment

from an interesting Brit read on Brit success in Oscar nominations:

<<...It's also striking that all the films nominated for Best Movie are set largely or entirely in the past, with only Slumdog Millionaire having mobile phones on the prop list. Benjamin Button covers almost all of the 20th century, while The Reader, Milk and Frost/Nixon offer detailed studies of the 50s, 60s and 70s. Oscars are increasingly vulnerable to a traditional criticism of the Man Booker Prize: that the jurors seem to give greater weight to historical material....>>

The whole thing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ts-funding

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              If the pictures that WERE nominated are an indication of Hollywood's year, it's the worst on record!
              Hyperbole alert . . .

Comment

I don't think the Hyper Bowl is until a week Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Hyperbole alert . . .
                  Not by a long shot. Here's the
                  nominees (weeks out) and gross so far.
                  [Some have only been in limited release until recently, but the last three are tanking fast.]

Benjamin Button (4) $102,601,599
                  Slumdog Millionaire (10) $42,686,362
                  Milk (8) $20,380,174
                  Frost/Nixon (7) $8,628,586
                  The Reader (6) $7,575,034
                  Button is interesting, but hardly riveting
                  Slumdog is a Bollywood melodrama, sacchrine in its appeal
                  Milk is well acted, but talk about a 'niche picture'! Brokeback it ain't.
                  Frost/Nixon - see Milk
                  Reader - is the most interesting of the lot and look how well (sic) it's doing.

Hollywood would literally cease to exist if these films were representative of what it had to offer. Christopher Nolan is a genius and he made a technically superb film (hence the noms in other categories) The other directors are simply not even in his league and certainly those films pale in entertainment value compared to Knight. Ask the ONE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE who paid $10 apiece to see it.

This is such a no-brainer - Hollywood is biting the hand that feeds it and There Will Be Blood for their misdeed! :twisted:

Comment

More hyperbole alert . . .

Comment

More hyperbole alert . . .
                      Once again you've chosen the side of an argument that is already lost. The Box Office doesn't lie (well, OK, except in the case of Borat!)

Comment

The box office has nothing to do with my comments; a hurricane of hot air from Florida does.

Comment

The box office has nothing to do with my comments; a hurricane of hot air from Florida does.
                          22 here today - the truth is just like a blast of cold air - it startles you in its clarity! :twisted: You Left Coasters wouldn't understand.

Comment

Marlow, your logic is highly flawed. On your grounds Grammies should simply go to the biggest singles/albums...

How does this list appeal to you for best album?

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/lil ... 6030.story

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                              Marlow, your logic is highly flawed.
                              I never said (or implied) that. Some movies are strictly meant as money-makers from the get-go. Their producers have zero aspirations of winning any awards except at the Box Office. And there's nothing wrong with it. Dodgeball kept me (and America) in stitches, but none of us expected anything else than some yucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X