Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas
    That's impressive but what's the bottom line? Wouldn't that be National Championships? USC has...11!!!!!!

Then there's...

paste

The USC Trojans are 5-2-1 against the Okahoma Sooners, although the two have never met later than October 2nd. The two will face each other for the BCS Title and, in all likelyhood, the National Championship in the Orange Bowl on January 4, 2005.
    This is the second time the #1 USC Trojans will play a #2 Oklahoma team. In 1981, the #1 Trojans defeated the #2 Sooners 28-24 in front of 84,016 at the LA Coliseum.

Remember the score of that game?
    Can't base a whole career on the score of a game, can you? Talk about flawed reasoning. The writers apparently took everything you are saying into consideration and disagree, as do the numbers.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239
      That's impressive but what's the bottom line? Wouldn't that be National Championships? USC has...11!!!!!!

Then there's...

paste

The USC Trojans are 5-2-1 against the Okahoma Sooners, although the two have never met later than October 2nd. The two will face each other for the BCS Title and, in all likelyhood, the National Championship in the Orange Bowl on January 4, 2005.
      This is the second time the #1 USC Trojans will play a #2 Oklahoma team. In 1981, the #1 Trojans defeated the #2 Sooners 28-24 in front of 84,016 at the LA Coliseum.

Remember the score of that game?
      Can't base a whole career on the score of a game, can you? Talk about flawed reasoning. The writers apparently took everything you are saying into consideration and disagree, as do the numbers.
      How about USC 6-2-1 vs Oklahoma?

Comment

I thought the bottom line was national championships (16 vs 11)? You are too much!! :lol:
        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

I thought the bottom line was national championships (16 vs 11)? You are too much!! :lol:
          Being too much is when you list 7 as being the number of Oklahoma National title's then saying 16. Well which is it?

USC has had more great players, more Heisman winners and have beaten up on the Sooners when they have played. I think I'll go with that.

Comment

Being too much is when you list 7 as being the number of Oklahoma National title's then saying 16. Well which is it?

USC has had more great players, more Heisman winners and have beaten up on the Sooners when they have played. I think I'll go with that.
            So that means you have changed your "bottom line". That awfully convenient, I might add. Here's a quote from the Sooners website:

The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football and is not involved in the selection process.

Since 1998, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) operated jointly by the ACC, Southeastern, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten and Pacific-10 Conferences has used a ranking system to determine the number one and number two teams at the end of the season.

Various organizations have named National Champions in college football since 1869. Utilizing the selectors as recognized by the NCAA, Oklahoma has been recognized for 16 different seasons: 2003, 2000, 1986, 1985, 1980, 1978, 1975, 1974, 1973, 1967, 1956, 1955, 1953, 1950 and 1949.

Comment

So that means you have changed your "bottom line". That awfully convenient, I might add. Here's a quote from the Sooners website:

The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football and is not involved in the selection process.

Since 1998, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) operated jointly by the ACC, Southeastern, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten and Pacific-10 Conferences has used a ranking system to determine the number one and number two teams at the end of the season.

Various organizations have named National Champions in college football since 1869. Utilizing the selectors as recognized by the NCAA, Oklahoma has been recognized for 16 different seasons: 2003, 2000, 1986, 1985, 1980, 1978, 1975, 1974, 1973, 1967, 1956, 1955, 1953, 1950 and 1949.
              Well if you would have started off with 16 instead of 7. I knew USC had more than that. Helps to have the facts.

USC beats Oklahoma when they meet they have also had the better players. You can also make a case that they play a tougher schedule and have for a long time.

Comment

I initially included championships that they actually went in and won the bowl, as I mentioned. However, they are recognized for 16. I believe that was in the Title Years by Polling line that I included above. Notre Dame has more than anyone. How would you rank them?

Comment

I initially included championships that they actually went in and won the bowl, as I mentioned. However, they are recognized for 16. I believe that was in the Title Years by Polling line that I included above. Notre Dame has more than anyone. How would you rank them?
                  Well when you consider how college football has changed since the days of Knute Rockne, The Four Horsemen and win one for the Gipper I can't get too excited in that really old stuff other than it's cool "old stuff". Where's Army at today? Once upon a time....

I'd have to start in the 60's when will started seeing a lot of change in athlectics. I confess however that I'd have to do my homework to come up with anything meaningful there. I have kept up with USC over the years since without them west coast football sucks :cry:

Comment

Well when you consider how college football has changed since the days of Knute Rockne, The Four Horsemen and win one for the Gipper I can't get too excited in that really old stuff other than it's cool "old stuff". Where's Army at today? Once upon a time....

I'd have to start in the 60's when will started seeing a lot of change in athlectics. I confess however that I'd have to do my homework to come up with anything meaningful there. I have kept up with USC over the years since without them west coast football sucks :cry:
                    I'm not doubting you and this discussion has been more enlightening than argumentative, IMO. They both are quality teams nonetheless. The game I'm actually looking forward to next year is the OU vs. TX rivalry matchup. It should be an all out war.

Comment

That looks like a seriously flawed points system to me. Which would, of course, be consistent with college football.

Let's look at a typical team that wins the national championship and the points that they receive:
                      25 for national championship
                      10 for major bowl berth
                      10 for major bowl win
                      10 for best conference win/loss
                      10?? for AP top 5 ranking (I'm not sure they get this as well as national championship)
                      3 for bowl appearance
                      3 for bowl win
                      2 for 10 win season

73 points total. Florida would have received the 73 points this year, but Oklahoma would have only received 35 points from that list. I don't think Florida's season should represent twice the points of Oklahoma's. And I'm a Gator alum.

Other flaws include Virginia Tech beating Cincinnati in a "major" Orange Bowl this year, when neither was a top 10 team. Also half of Div I gets to a bowl in this day and age.

I think focusing on the final rankings would be a better way to do things, since it is basically a composite of most of the things that they include. Then find a way to add some bonus points for the Heisman, #1 draft picks, etc.

Comment

... I have kept up with USC over the years since without them west coast football sucks :cry:
                        You're right... I must have imagined it when the Pac-10 went 5-0 (the best of any BCS conference) in this year's bowl games.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          ... I have kept up with USC over the years since without them west coast football sucks :cry:
                          You're right... I must have imagined it when the Pac-10 went 5-0 (the best of any BCS conference) in this year's bowl games.
                          Did I not mention..."over the years"...? Do you really want me to break down Pac10 football since..hmm...1996? Let's take USC out of it and see what we got. Wanna do that?

Comment

I'll be sure to ask the next time I'm having trouble falling asleep

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Why the attitude? Do I bother you and if so..why?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                Why the attitude? Do I bother you and if so..why?
                                You bother everybody, Texas, no real reason to wonder why. You always seem to know more about everything than everybody on every topic. Time to go look in the mirror. Hahaha .. or is it, hmm in this circumstance?

Comment

Working...
                                X