Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked on a Kansas board a few years ago why they are KU and not UK. Nobody knew.

Is it a Big 8 (the former Big 8) thing? Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado all reverse the initials. I think Nebraska too.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
      I asked on a Kansas board a few years ago why they are KU and not UK. Nobody knew.

Is it a Big 8 (the former Big 8) thing? Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado all reverse the initials. I think Nebraska too.
      As an alum, I should know this with certainty, but I think the school was originially referred to as "Kansas University". In fact, the Lawrence Journal-World still only refers to the school by this name.

I've heard Nebraska most often referred to as "UNL".

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
        So, is it OSU or TOSU?
        Are you referring to Oklahoma State University, Oregon State University or Ohio State University?
        What is the T for?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
          Originally posted by BillVol
          I've heard Nebraska most often referred to as "UNL".
          I assume UNL, University of Nebraska- Lincoln, evolved to distinguish it from any branches NU may have.( I admit, I don't know what they are), just as University of Texas -Austin, (UTA) is to University of Texas-El; Paso (UTEP) and University of Texas- San Antonio (UTSA)

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            So, is it OSU or TOSU?
            Are you referring to Oklahoma State University, Oregon State University or Ohio State University?
            What is the T for?
            They refer to themselves as THE Ohio State University - TOSU, sort of like the brilliant logic that allowed The Athletics Congress to be TAC. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              So, is it OSU or TOSU?
              What is the T for?
              They refer to themselves as THE Ohio State University - TOSU, sort of like the brilliant logic that allowed The Athletics Congress to be TAC. :roll:
              Ahh Sooo... I get it.. Folks in both Oklahoma and Texas sometimes refer to their state university as THE University, some with pride, some sarcastically, depending on their allegiance.

Comment

UTA - don't forget UT-Arlington
                SWTS switched to TSSM (San Marcos)
                Remember when Lousiana and Missouri each had about 6 "directional" schools?

Comment

UTA - don't forget UT-Arlington
                  SWTS switched to TSSM (San Marcos)
                  Remember when Lousiana and Missouri each had about 6 "directional" schools?
                  I didn't try to mention all eight University of Texas or all seven Texas A&M campus ( campuses? campi??, Help!! What the heck is the plural of campus?) plus West Texas A&M at Canyon.

Comment

I can recall when Virginia Tech was often called VPI .

Comment

What the heck is the plural of campus?
                      I believe it is 'campussies'.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        What the heck is the plural of campus?
                        I believe it is 'campussies'.
                        Uh.. I think that is something on the internet.

Comment

So, is it OSU or TOSU?
                          What is the T for?
                          Originally posted by Marlow View Post
                          They are now seeking a federal trademark for the word THE.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/educati...emark-n1042106

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                            They are now seeking a federal trademark for the word THE.
                            BRILLIANT!
                            If you get only 1 cent for each use of your trademarked word, you're a millionaire overnight!!!
                            Notice I haven't used it here. I don't want th* hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by dj View Post
                              Or University of Kansas to KU?
                              For the latter, it is because Kentucky still has more basketball wins. Should the Jayhawks overtake the Wildcats, they will have grounds to reclaim it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                BRILLIANT!
                                If you get only 1 cent for each use of your trademarked word, you're a millionaire overnight!!!
                                Notice I haven't used it here. I don't want th* hassle.
                                Unless you're selling red and gray shirts, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                                X