Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xw View Post
    I suppose most can recover fully or nearly fully from one single concussion - who as an active kid hasn't bumped his head some way and blacked out once? .....
    I was as active as they come, although didn't play football (did play hockey though). I never came anywhere near blacking out; nor can I recall any of my teammates ever doing so either.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post
      I was as active as they come, although didn't play football (did play hockey though). I never came anywhere near blacking out; nor can I recall any of my teammates ever doing so either.
      I played pond hockey with the neighborhood boys and my two most distinct memories are
      a. falling through the ice and having to walk a half a mile home chilled to the bone.
      b. locking skates with another kid and smacking my head on the ice. When I came to, the others were all laughing at me, and so we played on.

Comment

Luke Wilson as Roger Goodell is ridiculously bad casting.

Comment

Op-Ed piece in today's NY Times headed "Don't Let Kids Play Football".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/07/op...-football.html

Comment

I pulled the ultimate cartoon move as a 9-year-old, running full speed through the back yard and stepping on a hoe, which promptly rocketed up and caught me right between the eyes.

I have stayed clear of hoes ever since.

Comment

At about the same age I said, "that must only happen in cartoons," and stepped on a rake on purpose. And took a solid one right between the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                Op-Ed piece in today's NY Times headed "Don't Let Kids Play Football".

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/07/op...-football.html
                The author....Bennet Omalu is the subject of the movie "Concussion" which opens in a few weeks.

Comment

Playing center field as a young adult in a softball game, there was a high fly ball to right center. Right fielder and I both ran full speed to catch it... you can predict the rest. When I finally opened my eyes there was a circle of about 8 people peering at me, including my wife.

Comment

I had older brothers. We watched pro wrestling. We didn't realize it was carefully choreographed performance art. So I'm pretty sure I got a concussion around the age of 6 or 7.

I had a college teammate get a concussion during a cross country race. Was looking down, didn't see the big satellite dish right next to the course. Dinnnnnggggggg! Of course, the rest of the team was of the opinion that it couldn't possibly have made him any dumber than he already was.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post
                      The author....Bennet Omalu is the subject of the movie "Concussion" which opens in a few weeks.
                      The three major medical players in the CTE / football debate have been Omulu, the guy I mentioned earlier, Robert Cantu, a neurosurgeon, and Ann McKee, like Omulu a neuropathologist. The only big football fan among the three, apparently, is McKee, who is from Wisconsin and was a rabid Packers fan.

Comment

Apparently, the Brits have had some catching up to do in this area:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/14/sp...-protocol.html

Comment

Last night's football game showed one of the problems with the protocol. It was quite obvious after Brian Hoyer got sacked at the end of the third quarter something was wrong with him. The team doctor gave him a chat and he came back a few minutes later only to get sacked again on the first play and to fumble. He returned one more time, completed a pass, was sacked again and was gone for the night. I'm not blaming the Texans. They did their part of the procedure but if an independent 3rd party was in control my guess is Hoyer would not have returned after the sack in the 3rd quarter. As long as teams and the league are in control of a player's head injuries there will still be mistakes made.

Making a diagnosis from my couch is obviously tricky but a few questions on the sideline is a very weak followup after a player is whacked in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by booond View Post
                            Making a diagnosis from my couch is obviously tricky but a few questions on the sideline is a very weak followup after a player is whacked in the head.
                            There's a little more to the exam than just asking a few questions. But what would you recommend? Anyone "whacked in the head" stays out for the whole game? Everybody whacked in the head gets a CT scan or MRI? Everybody whacked in the head has immediate brain surgery? Relating to another thread, if you really want the cost of medicine to skyrocket, start mandating things like that. We need less tests, not more.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
                              There's a little more to the exam than just asking a few questions. But what would you recommend? Anyone "whacked in the head" stays out for the whole game? Everybody whacked in the head gets a CT scan or MRI? Everybody whacked in the head has immediate brain surgery? Relating to another thread, if you really want the cost of medicine to skyrocket, start mandating things like that. We need less tests, not more.
                              Cost of medical care has nothing to do with the subject.

This is about the health of football players. What tests should be done are the tests which best determine whether a player is healthy enough to go back into the game. It may be what they are doing now but it looked from my chair like Hoyer was having a problem after that sack at the end of the third quarter. He went back into the game for two more series, the third series after they were down by 27-6 and there was 11 minutes left in the game. If an independent 3rd party was controlling the player's health they may have decided to allow him to play or they may have pulled him from the game but there wouldn't be a conflict of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                                Apparently, the Brits have had some catching up to do in this area:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/14/sp...-protocol.html
                                I was going to post that myself. Sad story and so much for the theory that rugby is safer.

Comment

Working...
                                X