Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood and track & field/sport

If they are going to make a movie about actual events they do need to get it right. Remember the movie "Chariots of Fire" about Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell? Remember that scene where Abrahams runs the Trinity College courtyard in the time it took for the Trinity clock to strike 12? That never happened. I guess I should say that Abrahams never did that. That was done by Lord Burghley a world class 400 hurdler. I'm thinking others also tried it before he did.

When they do a boxing movie about a real fighter why the need to show unrealistic fight scenes? Keep it real or do a movie about a fictious fighter like...Rocky.

I will say that a movie about Usain Bolt would be pretty hard to screw up. Even Hollywood would have a hard time with a 6-5 cat strolling a 9.69 as if he were jogging. I'm guessing they might have him falling down at the start then getting up dusting himself off then waving to the fans as he precedes to run everyone down as he chats on a cell phone. Or something like that. I mean if we are going to see cavemen fighting dinosaurs ........

Re: Hollywood and track & field/sport

Originally posted by Texas
    If they are going to make a movie about actual events they do need to get it right. Remember the movie "Chariots of Fire" about Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell? Remember that scene where Abrahams runs the Trinity College courtyard in the time it took for the Trinity clock to strike 12? That never happened. I guess I should say that Abrahams never did that. That was done by Lord Burghley a world class 400 hurdler. I'm thinking others also tried it before he did.

When they do a boxing movie about a real fighter why the need to show unrealistic fight scenes? Keep it real or do a movie about a fictious fighter like...Rocky.

I will say that a movie about Usain Bolt would be pretty hard to screw up. Even Hollywood would have a hard time with a 6-5 cat strolling a 9.69 as if he were jogging. I'm guessing they might have him falling down at the start then getting up dusting himself off then waving to the fans as he precedes to run everyone down as he chats on a cell phone. Or something like that. I mean if we are going to see cavemen fighting dinosaurs ........
    There are a ton of things in Chariots of Fire that are totally fictionalized and/or changed... too many to enumerate here ! But I still love the movie.

Favorite lines:

I don't run to take beatings !

That's up to the committee.
    We ARE the committee.

I'ts the man that does the asking.

Good luck, I expect I won't see you until after the race.

I beleive that God made me for a purpose... for China. But he also made me FAST.

I could list about 20 more...

Comment

I will say that a movie about Usain Bolt would be pretty hard to screw up.
      I will say that a movie about Usain Bolt would be hard to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

There are a ton of things in Chariots of Fire that are totally fictionalized and/or changed... too many to enumerate here ! But I still love the movie.

Favorite lines:

I don't run to take beatings !

We ARE the committee.

I'ts the man that does the asking.

Good luck, I expect I won't see you until after the race.

I beleive that God made me for a purpose... for China. But he also made me FAST.

I could list about 20 more...
        I have no doubts there we many errors/Hollywoodisms, there which is my point.

Something that is forgotten about 24 Olympics happened in the 4x1 relay. GB decided to run Abrahams on the lead off leg, ya know get the lead. Well it never happened. Francis Hussey a high schooler from the USA blew Abrahams away giving the USA a two meter lead they'd never lose. Just a neat little history there 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          I will say that a movie about Usain Bolt would be pretty hard to screw up.
          I will say that a movie about Usain Bolt would be hard to sell.
          Maybe right now, how about 50 years from now? A little Bob Marley musical score, some Jamaican sunsets and a manchild jogging his way thru a sprint world...hmmm?

Comment

When they do a boxing movie about a real fighter why the need to show unrealistic fight scenes?
            You didn't think Ali with Will Smith was realistic? I sure did.

If Bolt continues improving and wins with WRs in London, there sure will be a movie and it would do well. That's a sizeable 'if'.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              When they do a boxing movie about a real fighter why the need to show unrealistic fight scenes?

If Bolt continues improving and wins with WRs in London, there sure will be a movie and it would do well. That's a sizeable 'if'.
              For some reason or another I've never seen that movie. Why???

I do know if Bolt let his sudden fame/fortune go to his head and started getting into the wilder side of life and started running 9.95 then 10.05 then 10.15 and finally ended up waiting for some charity organization to start handing out the spoons as he stood there in line shivering from the cold because he couldn't afford a jacket. Instant Hollywood movie, they love that sort of story.

Comment

For some reason or another I've never seen that movie. Why???
                Probably because you were right in your assessment of the unrealistic fight scenes. They make Ali look like david in the ring with goliath in Frazier fight when it was just the opposite. Will Smith may be alot of things but even a near physical match of Ali he is not. Having James Toney play Frazier compounded the problem immensely. They were creating fiction in that scene. If they had to have Will Smith as Ali they should have taken someone the size of Manny Pacaio or Flyod Mayweather as Frazier.
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

When was the last time a movie about a T&F World Record holder did well?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    When was the last time a movie about a T&F World Record holder did well?
                    HIt movies are often about something never done before. The rest are called 'sequels'.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                      We ARE the committee.
                      That is absolutely one of my all-time favorites. I use it all the time in committee meetings and nobody ever gets it.

Comment

Speaking of Rocky films, who is a better boxer?

1. Rocky Balboa
                        2. Clubber Lang
                        3. Apollo Creed
                        4. Drago

Comment

Apollo Creed, although he failed miserably in his match against the Predator.

Comment

Hollywood cannot make a realistic sports movie. Impossible.

Chariots of Fire is as realistic as it gets, even with its flaws.

Hollywood cannot help itself, because it is always trying to change things to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
                            "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

"Hoosiers" is one of my favorite movies, but the biggest change made in it was that Hickory only had to come to Indy and win one game for the state title, instead of an afternoon-evening doubleheader... which Milan ( the "real" Hickory) and all other teams do. Plus the movie had no 4-team Semi-State either.

Comment

Working...
                              X