X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photog caught Michael Phelps smoking pot

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 634206.ece

Edited to remove superfluous link.

And people should care about this.... um, why?

Comment

I'll bet Phelps occasionally drives his car fast and has close physical contact with women too. Yawn.

More concerning are recent pics of Ian Thorpe. :shock:

http://tinyurl.com/d3as3b

:lol:
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Even Puritan Pat has a hard time raising his pulse over this. :roll:

Comment

Soooooo.... it's ok to break the "little" laws that a lot of people don't agree with?
          Duly noted.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
            I'll bet Phelps occasionally drives his car fast and has close physical contact with women too...
            Can't speak to the latter point, but he has had driving related issues also:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/ ... 4380.shtml

"Olympic Champ Sentenced For DUI"

Comment

Originally posted by gm
              Soooooo.... it's ok to break the "little" laws that a lot of people don't agree with?
              Duly noted.
              I don't see anyone flat-out saying that this is a "good" thing...but what penalty should he pay? Should he lose all his Olympic medals?; be thrown in prison?; be shot at sunrise?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                Duly noted.
                I'll make sure I don't get behind you on the interstate.

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                  he has had driving related issues alos:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/11/ ... 4380.shtml

"Olympic Champ Sentenced For DUI"

Much different, and infinitely more serious, than this picture from a party flap. Putting other people at risk changes EVERYTHING

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                    Originally posted by gm
                    Duly noted.
                    I don't see anyone flat-out saying that this is a "good" thing...but what penalty should he pay? Should he lose all his Olympic medals?; be thrown in prison?; be shot at sunrise?
                    Can I pick D) all of the above? :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                      Originally posted by gm
                      Duly noted.
                      I'll make sure I don't get behind you on the interstate.
                      There's rarely anyone behind me on the interstate...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                        Originally posted by gm
                        Duly noted.
                        The penalty he may pay will be none of those you've mentioned, of course. But as the story linked in the first post of the thread points out, he may pay a real penalty.

But the fallout could be huge according to marketing experts, who believe that there could be a mass bail-out by the sponsors who had clamoured to sign up Phelps after Beijing.

“If this is all true, it will be nothing short of a disaster,” John Taylor, chairman of Sports Impact, one of Britain's leading sponsorship agencies, said. “Every sponsor has something called a disrepute clause written into their contracts and I will bet a few of them will be running through the small print first thing on Monday morning. This is terrible for his image.”

Comment

I knew a bunch of fairly elite swimmer from my HS.They trained their brains out and were complete nerds until they gave the sport up. They all seemed to go pretty wild for awhile after that-drinking, drugs etc.

Talking to them I got the sense that the training regime is so monotonous, punishing and all consuming that they went the other way for a bit after.
                          I don't think track and field athletes do that so much. Especially the throwers who can be wild and successful at the same time. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                            Soooooo.... it's ok to break the "little" laws that a lot of people don't agree with? Duly noted.
                            Not at all. He should face a consequence commensurate with his crime. But its not egregious enough to discount his accomplishments in the pool. OJ is an entirely different story.

Comment

Of all the TV shows he'd end up on, I never thought it would be The Bong Show :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X