Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 9.3 Receiver

Prior to Bob Hayes, there were a few sprinters with 9.3 or better speed in the NFL. They were Olympians Ray"9.3" Norton (SJS) and Frank "9.2" Budd (Villanova) neither made much of an impact. They did however have the speed. There was also Homer Jones a 9.3 guy out of Texas Southern who had beaten Bob Hayes in a 200m. He was drafted a year ahead of Bullet Bob and did enjoy a good career.After Hayes was drafted in 1964 the next 9.3 receiver to be drafted was SMU's John Roderick with the Dolphins. Like Norton and Budd......nothing! Then here came...Tommie "9.3" Smith, Jimmy "9.1" Hines, Richard"9.2" Stebbins (handed the stick to Hayes at the 64 games) John"9.1" Carlos and Clyde "9.2" Glosson. none would do anything. In 1971 the Bills would draft J.D.Hill a 9,3 guy out of ASU, he had a decent career as did Missouri's Mel"9.2" Gray who the Cards drafted. In 72 Gramblings Jack "9.2" Phillips and Michigan States Herb "9.2" Washington were drafted yep..poof! 72 would also find the closest thing to a Bob Hayes and a guy who would actually surpasse him in Colorados Cliff "9.2" Branch. He was everything that Bullet Bob was and more. A footballer with speed. In 73 we saw another guy who would have a successful career as a speed receiver in Cal/SDs's Isacc "9.3" Curtis.

Between 73-76

Willie McGee Alcorns 9.1 guy had a so-so career
    Kent States Olympian Gerald "9.3" Tinker did little as did Olympian Larry "9.3" Burton out of Purdue
    Harold Porter a 9.2 guy out of SWLa did nothing
    Leonard"9.3" Wllis from Ohio State...nothing.

It was around 76 or so when we stopped seeing hand times 100yds. So the days of the 9.3 receiver were over. Yes guys like Willie Gault and Johnny Jones came later but this is about the.. pre.. 10.point era.

I'd have to go with Cliff Branch and Bob Hayes as being the kings of the old 100 yard dash/NFL receiver era. Why isn't Cliff Branch in the HOF?

I'd agree with you that of these guys, Cliff Branch was #1, Hayes #2, and perhaps Curtis #3.
    What about before Hayes - who were the NFL speediest guys?
    I know Ollie Matson and Buddy Young have been mentioned before. Are there others?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
      I'd agree with you that of these guys, Cliff Branch was #1, Hayes #2, and perhaps Curtis #3.
      What about before Hayes - who were the NFL speediest guys?
      I know Ollie Matson and Buddy Young have been mentioned before. Are there others?
      An all time NFL 100m prior to Bob Hayes would look like this....

lane

1.Ollie Matson...U of SF/Cards
      2.Lenny Lyles...Louisville/Colts (in 1963 he was considered the fastest player in the NFL. He was a cornerback)
      3.Clarence Childs...FAMU/Giants (Hayes broke all his records at FAMU)
      4.Frank Budd...Villanova/Eagles
      5.Ray Norton...San Jose State/Niners
      6.Homer Jones...Texas Southern/Giants
      7.Buddy Young...Illinois/Colts
      8.Bob Boyd...Loyola/Rams

Ollie Matson being the most successful. He's in the Hall of Fame.

Yes we can't talk NFL speed prior to Hayes and not mention Jim Thorpe, Don Hutson, Milt Campbell, Bobby Mitchell and Willie Galimore.

There was also running back Stone Johnson out of Grambling who was a 1960 200m Olympian and a WR recorder. He also had a 9.3 in the 100yd. I can't mention him because.....

paste..

On August 30, 1963, rookie running back Stone Johnson, a sprinter in the 1960 Olympics in Rome, suffered a fractured vertebra in his neck in a preseason game with the Oakland Raiders in Wichita, Kansas. He died 10 days later, on September 8. He was 22.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What might have been huh? They might have moved him out to wide receiver and...............?

He was the fastest running back ever drafted up to that point in time.

Comment

Working...
      X