Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Machine

Wouldn't it be cool to own one? I'd be off to...

(you can only observe)

The Little Big Horn just to see the look on Custer's face when all those indians came over the hill.

I'd be there in Ann Armour the day Jesse Owens set 4/5 wr's and tied another.

Love to see what really did happen to ole Davy at the Alamo.

I'd like to stand right behind Moses as the Red Sea began to part. What a sight that must have been.

I'd want to be there on that day of days when that..ah..hmm...thingy crawled from the ocean depths to kick start evolution.

I'd like to watch Samson kicking the butt of how many soldiers? What...a 1000?

I'd like have seen Bullet Bob Hayes as a FAMU running back.

I'd want to be standing there as Jesus looked down from the cross and.."forgive them Father for they know not what they do"

I'd want to be there as David stood facing the giant Goliath with just a sling with rock. Did he look confident or afraid?

I'd want to be sitting across the room in that San Antonio hotel in 1936 as Robert Johnson..."I got a kindhearted woman.....

I'd like to have been there in that cave on the mountain when the Angel Gabriel began to tell Mohammad............

I'd want to be there at Stovall Plantation the day Alan Lomax recorded McKinley "Muddy Waters" Morganfield right there on his front porch in 1941.

I 'd like to have seen Tuskegees Mozelle Ellerbe run, he being the first nationally acclaimed sprinter from a HBCU school.

I'd like to be there in 1966 when Tommie "The Jet" Smith zoomed to that alien 19.5.

I'd want to be there at a Baker High School football game to watch Houston McTear run with a football under arm.

I'd like to have been there as Tommy Johnson waited at those Mississippi crossroads for Legbu a Haitian God who would tune his guitar giving him musical immortality, all it was cost was his....soul.

I think you would be highly disappointed waiting around for some of those things to really happen.
    The sporting moments, however, would be an exciting reality to witness.

Comment

Re: Time Machine

Originally posted by Texas
      I'd like to have been there as Tommy Johnson waited at those Mississippi crossroads for Legbu a Haitian God who would tune his guitar giving him musical immortality, all it was cost was his....soul.
      woud ya settle for the cuban god "up-your-butt-jobu" who's happy to take rum instead ? :P

Comment

Where the hell is Ann Armour?

:P
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S
          I think you would be highly disappointed waiting around for some of those things to really happen.
          How can I be disappointed knowing that when I get back I can prove a few things? There'd be the Larry King Show, Letterman, The Tonight Show, probably a book and maybe a movie that Hollywood can screw up.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
            Where the hell is Ann Armour?

:P
            Aren't we a little past that stage? My son and his buddies play that.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
              woud ya settle for the cuban god "up-your-butt-jobu" who's happy to take rum instead ? :P
              You'd have to ask Tommy Johnson, Peetie Wheatstraw and Robert Johnson. It was them who hung out at crossroads waiting....................

Comment

How can I be disappointed knowing that when I get back I can prove a few things? There'd be the Larry King Show, Letterman, The Tonight Show, probably a book and maybe a movie that Hollywood can screw up.
                I differentiate between history and mythology.

Comment

Very entertaining post, Texas!

Comment

You'd have to ask Tommy Johnson, Peetie Wheatstraw and Robert Johnson. It was them who hung out at crossroads waiting....................
                    if they'd prayed to up-your-butt-jobu, they may have been household names outside their own bathroom, made some money & hit a curveball :P

Comment

[quote=Helen S]
                      Originally posted by "Helen S":z77quq37
                      I differentiate between history and mythology.[/quote:z77quq37]

Tell that to how many billion?

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                        if they'd prayed to up-your-butt-jobu, they may have been household names outside their own bathroom, made some money & hit a curveball :P
                        While Tommy Johnson*** and Peetie Wheatsraw are pretty much lost in obscurity today as are all those old prewar bluesman, that can't be said about Robert Johnson. Most people into music are aware of him. His songs have been covered by many. Eric Clapton, Peter Green and Rory Block doing CD tributes to his music. The movie "Crossroads" was about Robert Johnson. In Rolling Stones mag... The 100 Greatest Guitarists.. there was Robert in the top five. In their... The Greatest 500 Albums.. there was Robert in the top 40. The next time you hear the Rolling Stones doing.."Love In Vain"...you'll be hearing an old Robert Johnson tune. The world got cheated because before he was able to pick up an electric guitar he was murdered by a jealous husband. He was only 28. The cat had enormous hands and longggggggg fingers. He was able to reach places on a guitar neck that nobody had ever done prior to him so his sound was unique. His "Hellhound On My Trail" a must listen. The next time you hear Led Zeppelin doing "Traveling Riverside Blues"..yep Robert Johnson. The next time you hear Johnny Winter do "Come Into My Kitchen"....yep Robert Johnson. The next time you hear Keb Mo doing "Kindhearted Woman"..yep Robert Johnson. The next time you hear Chris Thomas King doing "If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day"...yep Robert Johnson.

*** we did see Chris Thomas King play the part of Tommy Johnson in the movie "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" Remember that old blues/rock band ...Canned Heat? They got that name from an old 1928 Tommy Johnson tune...."Canned Heat"...it was some weird concoction they mixed back then to drink.

paste...

On November 23, 1936, Robert Johnson recorded his songs for the first time in San Antonio, Texas. This first of two sessions was unceremoniously squeezed between W. Lee O'Daniel & His Hillbilly Boys the day before, and Hermanas Baraza con Guitarras the day after. Yet out of this modest recording session, after which Robert Johnson collected his money and disappeared again into the Mississippi Delta, came a powerful and unique sound which forever changed music in America.

The vitality of Robert Johnson's music has been reaffirmed by the many remakes of his songs, from such diverse artists as Lee Roy Parnell to Eric Clapton to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Moreover, his music influenced artists such as Muddy Waters, who in turn advanced the birth of rock'n'roll. But it is not just Johnson's incredible guitar playing or fantastically expressive singing which deserves homage. His lyrics, which are commonly considered as only context to his music, are actually rich, tightly wrought poems worthy of intense literary examination.

This is the objective of Victor Cabas' ENTC 385 class, Mississippi in Story and Songs, at the University of Virginia. Mr. Cabas created the class "as an excuse to teach Robert Johnson," and the class' papers, which come out of a period of listening to and recording observations in a literary notebook on Johnson's songs, are often the best that he gets for the entire session. The students analyze Johnson's songs for devices such as alliteration, assonance, metaphor, simile, and even scan a stanza to get a feeling for each song's unique meter.

This web site is designed to be not just a resource for material on Robert Johnson, for there are several of those on the WWW already. Instead, this site highlights the power of Robert Johnson's words which are still resonant in contemporary America.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Induction Category: Early Influence

"Robert Johnson stands at the crossroads of American music, much as a popular folk legend has it he once stood at Mississippi crossroads and sold his soul to the devil in exchange for guitar-playing prowess. He became the first modern bluesman, linking the country blues of the Mississippi Delta with the city blues of the post-World War II era. Johnson was a songwriter of searing depth and a guitar player with a commanding ability that inspired no less an admirer than Keith Richard of the Rolling Stones to exclaim, “When I first heard [him], I was hearing two guitars, and it took me a long time to realize he was actually doing it all by himself.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remember the movie.."Black Snake Moan?" That was an old 1926 tune played by Blind Lemon Jefferson. Go to youtube and search out Robert, Tommy Johnson, Blind Lemon, Charley Patton (you won't believe your ears) and Memphis Minnie you can thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                          Very entertaining post, Texas!
                          It would be more entertaining if you got in your Time Machine and......... 8-)

Comment

[quote=Texas]
                            Originally posted by "Helen S":b1zr3mbw
                            Tell that to how many billion?[/quote:b1zr3mbw]

I do- my current employment is science education.

Comment

[quote=Helen S][quote=Texas]
                              Originally posted by "Helen S":1xq7xth9
                              Originally posted by "Helen S":1xq7xth9
                              Tell that to how many billion?[/quote:1xq7xth9]

I do- my current employment is science education.[/quote:1xq7xth9]

Walk into any church service on a Sunday and start telling everyone about your science. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X