Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time Machine

Originally posted by Texas
    The Little Big Horn just to see the look on Custer's face when all those indians came over the hill.
    Not to nit-pick, well, ok, to nit-pick, if you have been to the Little Big Horn battlefield you know the Indians did not "come over the hill" . More accurately, Custer's force rode up overlooking a broad valley teeming with an Indian conclave stretching for a couple of miles along the river. The skirmishes ranged over about four miles of river but the main killing ground was indeed on a hillside near the western end of the battleground about a half mile from the river.
    Custer knew they were there but underestimated their number and overestimated his invincibility.
    No, I was not there. That was a little before my time but family legend is we had ancestors on both sides of that battle.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
      The Little Big Horn just to see the look on Custer's face when all those indians came over the hill.
      Not to nit-pick, well, ok, to nit-pick, if you have been to the Little Big Horn battlefield you know the Indians did not "come over the hill" . More accurately, Custer's force rode up overlooking a broad valley teeming with an Indian conclave stretching for a couple of miles along the river. The skirmishes ranged over about four miles of river but the main killing ground was indeed on a hillside near the western end of the battleground about a half mile from the river.
      Custer knew they were there but underestimated their number and overestimated his invincibility.
      No, I was not there. That was a little before my time but family legend is we had ancestors on both sides of that battle.
      Why doesn't that surprise me? I was thinking that Hollywood in "They Died With Their Boots On" had the indians coming down off a hill. Hmm?

Comment

[
        Why doesn't that surprise me? I was thinking that Hollywood in "They Died With Their Boots On" had the indians coming down off a hill. Hmm?
        I don't think Hollywood was there either and I suspect that before it was over there were Indians coming from all directions.

Although there were no cavalry survivors of the final battle,(except one horse) there were lots of Indian survivors and the events are well documented. If you are ever in SE Montana, it is well worth a half day to visit the site.

Wounded Knee, in South Dakota, although not as well preserved and displayed as Little Big Horn, is another sobering experience,possibly because that one went the other way.. ..but then, I may not be the most objective observer.

Comment

[
          I don't think Hollywood was there either and I suspect that before it was over there were Indians coming from all directions.

Although there were no cavalry survivors of the final battle,(except one horse) there were lots of Indian survivors and the events are well documented. If you are ever in SE Montana, it is well worth a half day to visit the site.

Wounded Knee, in South Dakota, although not as well preserved and displayed as Little Big Horn, is another sobering experience,possibly because that one went the other way.. ..but then, I may not be the most objective observer.
          Funny how Hollywood always portrays the Indian as being the villian...huh?

Comment

Then you can mix the two, or not:

http://www.scientificgospel.com

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S
              Then you can mix the two, or not:

http://www.scientificgospel.com
              Having some sort of computer malfunction, can't open anything..hmm?

I'm no way shape or form a religious fanatic and sure I question all those Biblical stories. Could that be Hebrew mythology? I do however think "something" is responsible for all this. Way too many things having to work in perfect concert. If the Sun were closer, if the Eartth rotated slower, if if and if. To take a.."nay, unless you can't see/prove something"....approach....why?

Comment

[ I do however think "something" is responsible for all this. Way too many things having to work in perfect concert.
                Thats about it.

I admire and even envy people who have a sincere faith in "something", who believe it is important to adhere to their chosen rituals and take comfort and gain strength by "believing." Power to them.
                .I am not a formally religious man. My parents tried. I tried. It did not take. Whether they were inspired or instinctive, I did acquire certain basic concepts of what most people in my society consider acceptable behaviour and try to comport myself accordingly.
                I am a geologist, fairly well informed on the earths physical history, to an uncertain point, and the incomplete evidence suggesting evolution. There are events and cirumstances that neither creation nor evolution can fully explain or refute.
                My solution is to not worry about it. I don't know if certain events in the several "holy books" honored in various religions are real or anecdotal. Some strain credulity but then so does the liklihood of a human mortal running 100 meters in 9.69 seconds.
                I really don't think it matters whether they are true. I believe the object of the exercise is promote civilized behaviour in society. Admittedly, the sense of what comprises civilized behaviour varies from one society to the next. It is really tough getting a worldwide concensus on good and bad.

Nor do I concern myself with the reason for or the origin of man, the earth or any other planet. I marvel that astronomers and scientists have been able to deduce so much about the incomprehensible numbers and distances in the universe(s) but I just don't want to think about something I can do nothing about.
                That said, I echo texas , "someone" must be in charge of this mess for it to work, even imperfectly.
                I don't consider myself either atheist, agnostic or believer. What else you got?

Comment

There are events and cirumstances that neither creation nor evolution can fully explain or refute
                  i believe evolution has done a pretty damn good job of explaining or refuting whatever it's been asked to

whereas philosophers offer plenty of difficult questions for creation :

http://www.logicalparadoxes.info/stone.html

Comment

And swirling around in all of this, don't forget your preparations for celebrating Charles Darwin's 200th tomorrow, and the 150th for the Origin of Species. I believe we are having and eating cake here at work tomorrow.

Comment

i attend a regular fortnightly dinner & we will raise a glass of vintage ernst & julio merlot to him !

not sure if you can watch this outside gb but bbc ( who are good at these sort of things, but used to be better before dumbing down ) did a prog recently :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e_of_Life/

Comment

[ I do however think "something" is responsible for all this. Way too many things having to work in perfect concert.
                        Thats about it.

I admire and even envy people who have a sincere faith in "something", who believe it is important to adhere to their chosen rituals and take comfort and gain strength by "believing." Power to them.
                        .I am not a formally religious man. My parents tried. I tried. It did not take. Whether they were inspired or instinctive, I did acquire certain basic concepts of what most people in my society consider acceptable behaviour and try to comport myself accordingly.
                        I am a geologist, fairly well informed on the earths physical history, to an uncertain point, and the incomplete evidence suggesting evolution. There are events and cirumstances that neither creation nor evolution can fully explain or refute.
                        My solution is to not worry about it. I don't know if certain events in the several "holy books" honored in various religions are real or anecdotal. Some strain credulity but then so does the liklihood of a human mortal running 100 meters in 9.69 seconds.
                        I really don't think it matters whether they are true. I believe the object of the exercise is promote civilized behaviour in society. Admittedly, the sense of what comprises civilized behaviour varies from one society to the next. It is really tough getting a worldwide concensus on good and bad.

Nor do I concern myself with the reason for or the origin of man, the earth or any other planet. I marvel that astronomers and scientists have been able to deduce so much about the incomprehensible numbers and distances in the universe(s) but I just don't want to think about something I can do nothing about.
                        That said, I echo texas , "someone" must be in charge of this mess for it to work, even imperfectly.
                        I don't consider myself either atheist, agnostic or believer. What else you got?
                        Good stuff!!!!! I prefer to take the "faith" road as compared to the "bah humbug" one. I can see you share that opinion. While nobody can prove God's existence nobody can disprove Him either. So is it...

Kathy...if I pray will God bring Rex back home daddy?
                        Daddy....I'll pray with you

or...

Kathy...if I pray will God bring Rex back home daddy?
                        Daddy...there is no God. Rex is gone..ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S
                          And swirling around in all of this, don't forget your preparations for celebrating Charles Darwin's 200th tomorrow
                          Well I'll be! Charles Darwin and Abraham Lincoln were born on the same day--Feb. 12, 1809. I don't think I ever knew that.

Comment

Ok somebody explain how the Eagle came about. Keep it simple. There was this...BIG BANG............then......Eagle!

Comment

Ok somebody explain how the Eagle came about. Keep it simple. There was this...BIG BANG............then......Eagle!
                              I cant believe Gh is allowing this but i love the topic. Im an agnostic but even i would say forget the eagle- how is there no life on the earth, none at all, way to hot early on and then one day POOF! life, no one can explain that, can they? And dont give me some lighting hit a pile of goo! :P
                              phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                                I cant believe Gh is allowing this but i love the topic. Im an agnostic but even i would say forget the eagle- how is there no life on the earth, none at all, way to hot early on and then one day POOF! life, no one can explain that, can they? And dont give me some lighting hit a pile of goo! :P
                                I struggle trying to imagine "something" wallowing out of the abyss then after milions of years we have the ant, the elephant, the fly, the eagle, the rat, the cat, the dog..........

Comment

Working...
                                X