Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    I ask a great question with no possible answer and Marlow counters with im an ant! He says the universe is perfect! Yeah, what about ticks and mother in-laws?! :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    obviously this guy never bothered with a wiki search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_evolution

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Helen S
    Texas, where did the lengthy paste come from?
    Back to the original subject. A Muslim creationist source.

http://www.harunyahya.com/themiracleinthespider08.php

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by rasb
    I think Marlow is trapped in a very large echo chamber....or perhaps a cave of some description :wink:
    Let's see....4 hours and 20 minutes, and the speed of sound is ?
    Omigod! Can you imagine the prospect of seeing everything he posts getting posted again 4 hours later! :twisted:
    D'oh! I didn't do that - It is indeed a computer glitch! :shock:
    I think it's gh's way of running up my post count as he sees he's about to overtake tafnut at the most logorrhoeic poster here!

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    I think Marlow is trapped in a very large echo chamber....or perhaps a cave of some description :wink:
    Omigod! Can you imagine the prospect of seeing everything he posts getting posted again 4 hours later! :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied

Edit... 340.29 metres/second (at sea level)
    Yes, of course, it is not really sound, but hey !

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by At 12:15, Marlow
    How do I get back?
    You can never get back from here . . . your reality has been forever changed. :twisted:
    Originally posted by At 16:35, Marlow
    How do I get back?
    You can never get back from here . . . your reality has been forever changed. :twisted:
    Was that some kind of computer glitch, or is it you who are trapped somewhere and can't get back?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    How do I get back?

Leave a comment:

• Helen S
    replied
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_(series)

Turtledove writes alternate history novels, with the Colonization series being about an Interstellar Race of lizard like creatures invading earth during WWII.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    [ I do disagree with your peacemaking unitarian suggestion that it makes no difference. .
    Well, I thought I was through.
    I just want to dispel any possible perception that I am disparaging anyones attempts to understand the past. Heck, I have been doing that for sixty years, trying to deduce the present location of oil and gas by studying geologic history.
    I concede, in that respect it can make a difference. Research and random serendipity has undeniably resulted in good, and bad, things.
    My point is: No matter how the earth arrived at its present state, it is what it is. It is ours to deal with and I cannot conceive that any amount of fretting over the sequence of events should make any difference in what we do about it.
    Assuredly, I do not critize anyones pursuit of curiosity and the desire/need to find solace in something.
    Now, I am through

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by kuha
    Correct. There's a big difference between comforting notions on one hand, and, on the other, concepts that are rigorously studied, analyzed, and which remain falsifiable, i.e., open to being proven wrong. The latter is a good description for what we loosely call "reality" and if we don't live with a pretty firm grasp on that, we're going to make trouble for ourselves.
    Zackly. Once one believes his perception of reality is the only possible one, he is toast in the real world.
    Of course Marlow is just messin' with us...

We need to have varying degrees of intellectual confidence in our perceptions/beliefs. We need to guard against any notion that we possess "ultimate" Truth, but also to reject the lazy idea that any-and-all beliefs are "equally valid." They really aren't. At the least, we need to accept we may choose to live by comforting fairy tales--to accept the fact that certain beliefs ARE comforting, without pretending that they are necessarily "true."

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    How do I get back?

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Oh, my goodness! I've wandered on to an epistemology message board by mistake. How do I get back?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    You can tell the difference between "ones perception of reality" and objective knowledge, can't you. All those years I thought you could, I still do :wink: .
    :wink: indeed!

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by kuha
    Correct. There's a big difference between comforting notions on one hand, and, on the other, concepts that are rigorously studied, analyzed, and which remain falsifiable, i.e., open to being proven wrong. The latter is a good description for what we loosely call "reality" and if we don't live with a pretty firm grasp on that, we're going to make trouble for ourselves.
    Zackly. Once one believes his perception of reality is the only possible one, he is toast in the real world.
    Sometimes I can't figure out, if you are just baiting. You can tell the difference between "ones perception of reality" and objective knowledge, can't you. All those years I thought you could, I still do :wink: .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X