Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Cell Phone Use Be Banned In...?

Public buildings and establishments where people talk with each other and their seat neighbors (you can cite w/ your own examples, but movie theaters, restaurants, and places used at study halls come to mind). Are people generally louder on the phone than when speaking to someone present?

I have even heard some callers to talk radio (many of whom were calling from mobile phones) say that parents are equally distracted by children in the rear seats as anyone they're having a cellphone conversation w/.

Opinions?

There is no solution here. Rude people will always continue to be rude people. You can't legislate good manners.

Comment

It amazes me the business conversations some people will have on a public bus. But the worst was when I was sitting next to a lady on a train who spent an hour discussing on the cell phone the upcoming plans for her second wedding plus issues about her ex-husband, etc.

Comment

I'm convinced that people that are offended by someone talking on a cell phone in public (such as in a restaurant, a place where talking is definately okay, movie theater not so much) are just upset that they cannot eavesdrop on the other half of the conversation, "cell yell" factor notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by skyin' brian
          I'm convinced that people that are offended by someone talking on a cell phone in public (such as in a restaurant, a place where talking is definately okay, movie theater not so much) are just upset that they cannot eavesdrop on the other half of the conversation, "cell yell" factor notwithstanding.
          I beg to differ. I'd guess that, for 85% of the one-sided conversations that I'm FORCED to endure in public places, the ONLY redeeming fact is that I don't have to also listen to the other half. Most public phone conversations are too loud, pathetically mundane, and just plain irritating.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out why I find myself yelling too, even though I've noticed and hated the phenomenon in others for years. Maybe it's because one's brain reacts to the loss of a nice moulded earpiece like you get on a regular phone, that blocks out some of the extraneous sound, by thinking that if you can't hear them quite as well, they can't hear you either, so yelling is required?

Comment

YES, THAT'S IT.

Comment

Thank you Garrett Morris!

Comment

Ban small children from restaurants and public buildings first. Then we can worry about cell phones.
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

Women talking on a cellphone while on the can drives me crazy!

I get to hear crap AND crap. :twisted:

Comment

Bathroom Chatter

In my community, we'd call that 'crap and rap"
                      :wink:

Comment

Working...
                      X