Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall Carroll

Looks like the Cali speedster will be a UCLA Bruin. As you probably know he won the Cal State sprints in 2008. He will be the fastest player the Bruins football team has ever had. I know that's hard to believe but I can't think of anyone faster playing for UCLA. I am talking track credentials. There was James Owens a hurdler/sprinter and James McAlister a long jumper with some speed but nobody with the success in the 100m as Carroll has already had. I'm hoping he also runs track, it's been awhile since the Bruins have had some serious speed there. Something they once had in abundance.

Randall Carroll vs Javid Best?

Think Hal Busby

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Think Hal Busby
      While he would run a 9.3 while at UCLA, he wasn't running as fast as Carroll was in high school. Don't recall Busby doing anything in football.

Comment

So we're back to your time-tested nonsense about people running 100y on dirt not being as "fast" as people running 100m on synthetic. So your definition of "ever" spans the last couple of decades only.

But then again, your original post said nothing about fast times, it said "faster than" and cited Owens and McAlister as previous Bruin speedsters. You can't have it both ways.

As for Busby in football, try TIME, October 28, 1966:

<< U.C.L.A.'s Gary Beban, 20, and Harold Busby, 19, provide the punch for a razzle-dazzle offense that has averaged 431.2 yds. and 37.6 points per game—both tops in the nation. The closest call experienced all year by the unbeaten, No. 3-ranked Bruins came at Rice, when they trailed 24-16 with a little more than three minutes to go. Quarterback Beban threw a 33-yd. pass that was deflected by two Rice defenders; Flanker Busby, a 9.4-sec.-dash man, flashed behind the defenders, leaped, and snared the ball for a touchdown. A 2-point conversion and a last-minute field goal rescued U.C.L.A. from near disaster 27-24. "It sure helps to have fast ones out there to receive," says Beban, who runs as well as he throws, has gained a total of 1,254 yds. so far this season.>>

He was drafted by the Raiduhs, but never got into a regular season game.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          So we're back to your time-tested nonsense about people running 100y on dirt not being as "fast" as people running 100m on synthetic. So your definition of "ever" spans the last couple of decades only.

But then again, your original post said nothing about fast times, it said "faster than" and cited Owens and McAlister as previous Bruin speedsters. You can't have it both ways.

As for Busby in football, try TIME, October 28, 1966:

<< U.C.L.A.'s Gary Beban, 20, and Harold Busby, 19, provide the punch for a razzle-dazzle offense that has averaged 431.2 yds. and 37.6 points per game—both tops in the nation. The closest call experienced all year by the unbeaten, No. 3-ranked Bruins came at Rice, when they trailed 24-16 with a little more than three minutes to go. Quarterback Beban threw a 33-yd. pass that was deflected by two Rice defenders; Flanker Busby, a 9.4-sec.-dash man, flashed behind the defenders, leaped, and snared the ball for a touchdown. A 2-point conversion and a last-minute field goal rescued U.C.L.A. from near disaster 27-24. "It sure helps to have fast ones out there to receive," says Beban, who runs as well as he throws, has gained a total of 1,254 yds. so far this season.>>

He was drafted by the Raiduhs, but never got into a regular season game.
          I think Bobby Morrow and everyone (world class) who came after could probably hang today. It's those way back there in the 30's/40's where I have to..? I do think Bob Hayes and Tommie Smith are just as great now as back then. So you're painting in abstract there.

I have to give Carroll the nod over Busby simply because he faced a higher level of competition. Busby was a 9.5 guy coming out of (Muir) high school, what is that with the adjustments made? The point was you'd think that a school like UCLA would have had more speed than they have. Obviously I forgot about Busby. Yes it can happen. I know there was also Ron Copeland, Jackie Robinson, Wally Henry, Jim Johnson, Flipper Anderson, Gaston Green and Jojo Townsell. None however were actual sprinters.

Comment

Don't forget that as a UCLA frosh Busby was U.S. Ranked in both the 100 and 200 and was rated No. 10 in the world in the longer race.

As for your contention <I have to give Carroll the nod over Busby simply because he faced a higher level of competition>>, what higher level?

In winning the State title Busby had to beat both Ernie Provost (a 10-flat guy in the AAU orgy of '68) and Jerry Bright (twice an NCAA scorer in the event).

How many of these speedburners do you predict will reach that kind of status?

2 Saseun, Charles 11 Rnch Cucm/ss 10.63
            3 Banks, Gavin 12 Franklin Eg/Sj 10.76
            4 Curry, Tommy 12 North Jw/Ss 10.77
            5 Dyce, Max 11 Moorpark/ss 10.78
            6 Alston, Jamal 12 Rnch Buna/sd 10.79
            7 Riggins, Anthony 10 StPtk-StVncnt/nc 10.86
            8 Cooks, Joe 11 Mission Hills 10.90
            -- Henderson, David 12 Lincoln/sf FS

Comment

Busby US ranked - 5th in 100 and 4th in 200 (which I'm sure you are aware gh) in 66

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Don't forget that as a UCLA frosh Busby was U.S. Ranked in both the 100 and 200 and was rated No. 10 in the world in the longer race.

As for your contention <I have to give Carroll the nod over Busby simply because he faced a higher level of competition>>, what higher level?

In winning the State title Busby had to beat both Ernie Provost (a 10-flat guy in the AAU orgy of '68) and Jerry Bright (twice an NCAA scorer in the event).

How many of these speedburners do you predict will reach that kind of status?

2 Saseun, Charles 11 Rnch Cucm/ss 10.63
                3 Banks, Gavin 12 Franklin Eg/Sj 10.76
                4 Curry, Tommy 12 North Jw/Ss 10.77
                5 Dyce, Max 11 Moorpark/ss 10.78
                6 Alston, Jamal 12 Rnch Buna/sd 10.79
                7 Riggins, Anthony 10 StPtk-StVncnt/nc 10.86
                8 Cooks, Joe 11 Mission Hills 10.90
                -- Henderson, David 12 Lincoln/sf FS
                I see..

Saseun, Charles 11 Rnch Cucm/ss 10.63 ... as being a superior "HS" talent. Not concerned with post HS.

Comment

Working...
                X