Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, since some athletes mature later than others, how does that imply that the recruiting plans of some major colleges are not doing what they should? Given that it is too difficult to see ALL of the talent that is out there, and that when you do see them it is only for a short period of time, it is inevitable that some promising, underperforming high school kids will be missed.

Kenny Harrison was not heavily recruited out of the southeast, given his good but not spectacular TJs in high school. It was only when one of the K-State coaches realized he was jumping 50+ feet in basketball shoes that he go attention.

I have seen way too many really talented baseball players over the last few years at the high school level who just did not have their best performances coincide with the visit of a scout or recruiter.

Comment

Another story on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/sport ... hoden.html

how much of the extensive trafficking in players falls outside the N.C.A.A. manual? Calhoun made the manual famous last week, essentially by implying that he hadn’t read it all.

And if coaches at powerhouse programs are bending rules, where does that leave new head coaches and coaches at midlevel programs who aspire to do well in the N.C.A.A. tournament?

Comment

None of this is new, maybe just more extreme.

Back in the early 60's when I was in school at Duke, we had several basketball players in my fraternity, both good level-headed guys. Having said that, several times they had some HS kid on a recruiting visit where they were his baby sitter. They always would get them a date with a girl that at a minimum would treat them with a significant degree of affection ( by early 60's standards at least), if he was so inclined.

Comment

very diplomatically stated, dukehjsteve.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
            None of this is new, maybe just more extreme.

Back in the early 60's when I was in school at Duke, we had several basketball players in my fraternity, both good level-headed guys. Having said that, several times they had some HS kid on a recruiting visit where they were his baby sitter. They always would get them a date with a girl that at a minimum would treat them with a significant degree of affection ( by early 60's standards at least), if he was so inclined.
            I've never heard it put that way before. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Working...
            X