X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    None of this is new, maybe just more extreme.

Back in the early 60's when I was in school at Duke, we had several basketball players in my fraternity, both good level-headed guys. Having said that, several times they had some HS kid on a recruiting visit where they were his baby sitter. They always would get them a date with a girl that at a minimum would treat them with a significant degree of affection ( by early 60's standards at least), if he was so inclined.
    I've never heard it put that way before. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    very diplomatically stated, dukehjsteve.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    None of this is new, maybe just more extreme.

Back in the early 60's when I was in school at Duke, we had several basketball players in my fraternity, both good level-headed guys. Having said that, several times they had some HS kid on a recruiting visit where they were his baby sitter. They always would get them a date with a girl that at a minimum would treat them with a significant degree of affection ( by early 60's standards at least), if he was so inclined.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Another story on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/sport ... hoden.html

how much of the extensive trafficking in players falls outside the N.C.A.A. manual? Calhoun made the manual famous last week, essentially by implying that he hadn’t read it all.

And if coaches at powerhouse programs are bending rules, where does that leave new head coaches and coaches at midlevel programs who aspire to do well in the N.C.A.A. tournament?

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    So, since some athletes mature later than others, how does that imply that the recruiting plans of some major colleges are not doing what they should? Given that it is too difficult to see ALL of the talent that is out there, and that when you do see them it is only for a short period of time, it is inevitable that some promising, underperforming high school kids will be missed.

Kenny Harrison was not heavily recruited out of the southeast, given his good but not spectacular TJs in high school. It was only when one of the K-State coaches realized he was jumping 50+ feet in basketball shoes that he go attention.

I have seen way too many really talented baseball players over the last few years at the high school level who just did not have their best performances coincide with the visit of a scout or recruiter.

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Big Blue Chip

This is the best article I have ever read on the phenomena:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
    How is that applicable to the situation described above? Good talent will come from all sorts of places, but the way that many schools recruit is based on who they consider the "hot property" of the moment.
    The point was that many high schoolers who see little attention from the Florida's/USC's etc , usually end up at some MAC/WAC/Mountain West school and many times out performing those.."hot property"..athletes, when it's all said and done. LaDanian Tomlinson to mention just one.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    How is that applicable to the situation described above? Good talent will come from all sorts of places, but the way that many schools recruit is based on who they consider the "hot property" of the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Still too much talent coming out of small schools for this recruiting situation to be too precise, regardless of how it's done.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    I think I just threw up a little bit...in my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i find it difficult to envisage 2 gals presenting flowers & chocolates to each other & then sitting down to sip champagne & slip oysters down at a white-linen covered, candle-lit table in the middle of all this commotion ?!
    Oh . . . so thaaaat's what 'romancing' means??!! No wonder my wife is the only woman who has ever looked twice at me (and I'm pretty sure she needs glasses). :shock:

I did, however, write her a love poem once:

Collards is green, my dog's name is Blue
    And I'm so lucky to have a sweet thang like you.
    Yore hair is like corn silk a-flapping in the breeze.
    Softer than Blue's and without all them fleas.

You move like the bass, which excite me in May.
    You ain't got no scales but I luv you anyway.
    Yo're as satisfy'n as okry jist a-fry'n in the pan.
    Yo're as fragrant as "snuff" right out of the can.

You have some'a yore teeth, for which I am proud;
    I hold my head high when we're in a crowd.
    On special occasions, when you shave under yore arms,
    Well, I'm in hawg heaven, and awed by yore charms.

Still them fellers at work, they all want to know,
    What I did to deserve such a purdy, young doe.
    Like a good roll of duct tape, yo're there fer yore man,
    To patch up life's troubles and fix what you can.

Yo're as cute as a junebug a-buzzin' overhead.
    You ain't mean like those far ants I found in my bed.
    Cut from the best cloth like a plaid flannel shirt,
    You spark up my life more than a fresh load of dirt.

When you hold me real tight like a padded gunrack,
    My life is complete; Ain't nuttin' I lack.
    Yore complexion, it's perfection, like the best vinyl sidin'.
    Despite all the years, yore age, it keeps hidin'.

Me 'n' you's like a Moon Pie with a RC cold drank,
    We go together like a skunk goes with stank.
    Some men, they buy chocolate for Valentine's Day;
    They git it at Wal-Mart, it's romantic that way.

Some men git roses on that special day
    From the cooler at Kroger. That's impressive," I say.
    Some men buy fine diamonds from a flea market booth.
    "Diamonds are forever," they explain, suave and couth.

But for this man, honey, these won't do.
    Cause yor'e too special, you sweet thang you.
    I got you a gift, without taste nor odor,
    More useful than diamonds......IT'S A NEW TROLL'N MOTOR!!

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Who really cares? Although, OU got a darn good guy out of the deal. There are a few videos floating out there on the internet of his performances and he is top notch. Boomer Sooner!

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    i was thinking exactly the same thing

i find it difficult to envisage 2 gals presenting flowers & chocolates to each other & then sitting down to sip champagne & slip oysters down at a white-linen covered, candle-lit table in the middle of all this commotion ?!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    Girls were "romancing" one another??? This guy has a way with words!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    And none of this is remotely new, of course. As the old line went in the early '50s, the biggest problem Hugh McElhenny had to face when he went from the University of Washington to the NFL was the cut in pay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X