Clear All

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Go get him Manson!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCdCb_SH-KE

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    This is probably one of the best basketball jumpers I have seen. I think he would be a fantastic high jumper since he is likely the highest basketballer I've seen who jumps off of one leg. Although he is just shy of 13 feet, notice where his head is in relation to the rim! This guy also has a 720 dunk on his resume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh6Dho5J0_I

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Dietmar239
    FYI, Soto did half-squats at 660 lbs.
    I have never understood the concept of full squats.
    a. it's very hard on the knees
    b. it doesn't simulate a position used in most sports

The half squat DOES simulate a position in many sports, especially those that entail explosive jumping, which is almost always does from a half-flexed leg.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    FYI, Soto did half-squats at 660 lbs. That's pretty good for 180-something pounds. The tendon strength of that man!

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Jim Rome spent like forever yesterday morning babbling on about this one: 6-6/280-pound defensive lineman jumping from the swimming pool (shallow end, with water) up onto the deck. Quite a feat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw
    and not so coincidentally, the next video on the right is entitled:

Jarron Gilbert squat 635 and deadlift 655

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Jim Rome spent like forever yesterday morning babbling on about this one: 6-6/280-pound defensive lineman jumping from the swimming pool (shallow end, with water) up onto the deck. Quite a feat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by jhc68
    Lebron carries an awful lot of weight. Given his bulk, I'd imagine he'd need great technique and the ankle/lower leg stress on big jumpers running a hard J-Turn is difficult.
    I'm not feelin' that. He makes all kinds of hard cuts on the court (at speed), and if he can dunk at 12'6, obviously the weight is NOT a factor. Similarly his joints are commensurately as strong as they need to be to do all the hyper-athletic things he does. He's the guy. I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking off the next three months, so I can train him for USATF and Berlin. Please refer to Thomas, Donald for insight on how long it would take for Lebron to get up to speed. As a coach, I'd like to think it's Rocket Science, but it ain't.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Lebron carries an awful lot of weight. Given his bulk, I'd imagine he'd need great technique and the ankle/lower leg stress on big jumpers running a hard J-Turn is difficult.

It may be that Soto's ability as a big man to carry a lot of speed through the turn set him apart from other large guys (like Frietag - who would look like a scrawny punk next to Lebron).

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Dietmar239
    It's very apparent he could get at least 12-feet. During the contest, Lebron mentioned that he wanted to finally join the dunk contest next year. He insists that he has and will again dunk on a 13-foot rim.
    If he could 'only' dunk on a 12-6 rim, given his size and incredible athleticism, there is zero doubt in my mind that he's my 2.50m HJer that Pego denies exists!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    It's very apparent he could get at least 12-feet. During the contest, Lebron mentioned that he wanted to finally join the dunk contest next year. He insists that he has and will again dunk on a 13-foot rim.

Leave a comment:

• cladthin
    replied
    Howard said it was just under 12 ft.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Hmmm... yeah. A two-footed 5'10" high jump cheating by grabbing the rim to pull his feet over being advertised as a 70" vertical jump.

I couldn't do it but I might have been able to in college. And I was not a world class high jumper by any means.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    Did it ridiculously easy...

Look for one called "70 INCH HIGH JUMP DUNK" to get a feel for how easily impressed basketball fans are...

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    I don't know if it was 12 feet or not, but whatever the height was, he made it look easy .... gawd, he is such a physical beast. Does anyone know if he did some jumping (track & field style) in school?
    And for any BB fans out there, what is going on with my Suns? Hopefully, this will all work out, because they will add a dimension to the playoffs, if they are in there.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    started a topic Dwight Howard and the 12-foot rim dunk

Dwight Howard and the 12-foot rim dunk

If you go to Youknowwhere and type in . . . oh, I don't know, something like . . .

Dwight Howard 12-Foot Rim Phone Booth Dunk

you will see a 6'11 man wid some crazy ups!

Skinny him up a little, give him technical training and . . . gosh :shock:
Working...
X