Last Conan O'Brien show tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Conan O'Brien show tonight

Have to say I didn't know this until I saw an ad on TV. I still like Conan, but Jimmy Kimmel is much better, and that is who I've been watching for quite some time now.

I was never a Conan fan. Something about him just irritates me. Letterman is not much better and Leno is wearing thin.
    I am kinda looking forward to Conan taking over Leno's show because I will no longer stay up to watch the Tonite show.

Comment

Who's Conan O'Brien?

Comment

Re: Last Conan O'Brien show tonight

Originally posted by BillVol
        Have to say I didn't know this until I saw an ad on TV. I still like Conan, but Jimmy Kimmel is much better, and that is who I've been watching for quite some time now.

I think Kimmel is the best interviewer, and he does quite well with the comedy bits, assumedly with a more limited budget compared to the others, who have been there longer.

Liked Conan, but I can't STAND Jimmy Fallon. Never thought he was funny on SNL and as co-head writer, I always believed he was part of what made it suck for so many years. Sets up a bit and then goes nowhere with it, beating the Hell out of the premise. Example: the Bee Gee's talk show routine...an okay premise, but then does nothing except talks to the camera in falsetto the entire time. Also, the college dorm room talking into the computer bit with Horatio Sands (another extremely UN-funny person in my book: nothing but talking into the camera which inevitably degenerates into yelling and swearing (eighth-grade humor; my apologies to eighth-graders). Before he "left" SNL, there was this push by the females on the show to play up his "good looks" (I think he looks like a ferret, myself), presumeably to get him into the movies, which indeed happened, perhaps coutesy of Loren Michaels' connections as a severance package-?-(wherein he then bombed).

I know Fallon will have better writers and maybe he can indeed carry the new show. But so much is key on personality, and I have my doubts, as he has always gone for the cheap easy giggle with toilet humor. Whatever, I don't plan to ever watch. Not with Kimmel two clicks of the remote away.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          I was never a Conan fan. Something about him just irritates me. Letterman is not much better and Leno is wearing thin.
          I am kinda looking forward to Conan taking over Leno's show because I will no longer stay up to watch the Tonite show.
          Let me see if I understand this logic. You've never been a Conan fan but you're looking forward to him taking over Leno's show?!?!?! Am I missing something here???

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
            Originally posted by lonewolf
            Let me see if I understand this logic. You've never been a Conan fan but you're looking forward to him taking over Leno's show?!?!?! Am I missing something here???
            As I said:
            I am kinda looking forward to Conan taking over Leno's show because I will no longer stay up to watch the Tonite show.[/quote

Comment

Could be the last O'Brien show again.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/07/jay-leno- ... ight-show/
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Conan's people had to write huge penalty dollars * into his deal if he were canned in the first year. They had to anticipate this, with Jay as a putrid lead-in, and waiting to plunge the dagger in his neck.

I actually watched a bit last night for the first time in months. His interview was so scripted it was awful: 'tell us about your embarrassing Irish father'?
                He seems painfully inept as a conversationalist and his monologues are weak.

*"But insiders assure me that Conan O'Brien will not be pulled as Tonight Show host if and when Leno is moved back into late night. And not just because NBC triggers a huge $50M financial penalty to O'Brien if it doesn't continue with him.""
                http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

So maybe NBC's way around the two guy's contracts is to have Jay on from 11.35 -12.05 to do a monologue and some bits and leave. Then follow with Conan and his usual mediocre hour?
                The bottom line is they have to do something about 10pm or see every affiliate's 11pm news tank, in addition to its own ratings disaster during that hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
                  Conan's people had to write huge penalty dollars into his deal if he were canned in the first year. They had to anticipate this, with Jay as a putrid lead-in, and waiting to plunge the dagger in his neck.

I actually watched a bit last night for the first time in months. His interview was so scripted it was awful: 'tell us about your embarrassing Irish father'?
                  I liked Conan on at the later hour. His show had a sense of complete sillyness to it which either appealed to my sense of humor or maybe more is funnier at that hour.

He's changed on the Tonight Show and tried to make his "small" humor "bigger" and it just doesn't work. I've heard the same thing from a number of people and thats of a varying degree of ages. It was part of a discussion at our Christmas gathering last week.

Comment

Conan not happy (surprise!) with proposed changes: http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/1 ... index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra
                      Originally posted by Friar
                      Conan's people had to write huge penalty dollars into his deal if he were canned in the first year. They had to anticipate this, with Jay as a putrid lead-in, and waiting to plunge the dagger in his neck.

I liked Conan on at the later hour. His show had a sense of complete sillyness to it which either appealed to my sense of humor or maybe more is funnier at that hour.

He's changed on the Tonight Show and tried to make his "small" humor "bigger" and it just doesn't work. I've heard the same thing from a number of people and thats of a varying degree of ages. It was part of a discussion at our Christmas gathering last week.
                      Interesting observation.

I am a Cult Conan follower, but I must admit I think your views are correct. It really does not have that quirky loosened latitude that it thrived on as the rude funnier cousin.

Comment

I have never been a Conan or Letterman fan and tolerated Leno as the lesser of three non-funny hosts.And, he did have some amusing recurring segments.
                        His show did not change when he moved to an earlier time slot but did sometimes conflict with something I would rather watch: whereas at 10:30CT, he did not, IMO, have much competition,. I suspect many, like me, just kinda got out of the habit and quit watching Leno at 9:00.

Comment

If I were NBC, I'd have given a try at moving the local news to 10 PM EST and put Leno on at 10:35 to 11:35 PM EST. The local affiliates would no longer have to follow Leno - the big thing driving the change - and Conan would have stayed put at 11:35 PM EST. Any other change was going to lose either Leno or Conan. And now NBC will be forced to create expensive programming again at 10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                            If I were NBC, I'd have given a try at moving the local news to 10 PM EST and put Leno on at 10:35 to 11:35 PM EST. The local affiliates would no longer have to follow Leno - the big thing driving the change - and Conan would have stayed put at 11:35 PM EST. Any other change was going to lose either Leno or Conan. And now NBC will be forced to create expensive programming again at 10 PM.
                            Not necesarily. Bring back Deal or No Deal (the original $1 million primetime edition).

Comment

O'Brien puts Tonight Show up for sale on Craigslist LOL

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cl ... 63643.html
                              There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                              X