Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Oscars

Seems to be little interest here about tonight's festivities! Any predictions tonight for best actress, actor, picture, director? I won't even hazard any since the only one of the major nominees I've seen was Frost/Nixon, which I thought was very well done. Slumdog Millionaire probably possesses an insurmountable amount of sympathetic momentum for anyone to overcome.

What is your biggest shock and/or joy at watching the event, anyone? Personally I'm a Meryl Streep fan - if she picks up her third she'll be one behind Kate Hepburn. I believe this is her 14th nomination, the most ever.

Some will complain that Ledger, with a possible post-humous victory, only won because he died. I hope people will try to avoid that type of demeaning commentary.

deleted

Comment

I'm glad the Grammys never gave Britney Spears an award. Thanks for the input Marlow, but just because McDonald's has billions and billions sold, doesn't make them worthy of consideration in the cuisine category.

Most of the top grossers you listed do not have the depth to include any performances worthy of making the picture much more than mush to be gobbled up by hordes of video game fanatics. How popular is Paris Hilton's new show, My New BFF? If it were the top grosser [hypothetical] should it receive an Emmy? How about a list of top music and tv money makers and then let's see who'd win those awards under your philosophy. I mean, why does more at the box office mean anything in terms of quality? Or should quality have nothing to do with the Oscars?

I think you've shown us an example of where more means less, in most cases.

Enjoy the show and I hope Slumdog Millionaire wins, I had it picked out as one to see at the TIFF then ended up not going.

Comment

Taffy, any film wth domestic gross of > $25m indicates some public interest ( my cut-off for watching )

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            Here's my beef: blah blah blah
            ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
              Here's my beef: blah blah blah
              ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz . . .
              Yeah, I have the same reaction whenever the science teacher is nattering on about String Theory. Discussions above my pay grade always bore me. Sorry.

Comment

My reaction has nothing to do with pay grades; rather it is in response to lame tired rehashes of older lame tired rehashes of lame arguments which are based on defective reasoning.

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                    My reaction has nothing to do with pay grades; rather it is in response to lame tired rehashes of older lame tired rehashes of lame arguments which are based on defective reasoning.
                    Oh . . . I have had a GREAT DAY - 9 holes of golf, a movie, ate out and saw 2 of 3 grandkids, beautiful sunny day - sorry yours has been bad . . .
                    Mmm, I think you just avoided his point?

I think the McDonald's analogy above says it all. And you yourself say that enjoyment is subjective. Surely you should have realised by now that most critics are not die hard fans of Marvel comics.

Comment

deleted
                      Rob! Is that you? :wink:

Comment

What a bizarrely weak trio of songs for Best Original Song. Ho-hum, bang on a drum. Put me to sleep and wondering where's the older fare like "Beauty and the Beast" and any other number of great songs over the years in this category. Weird. :?

Comment

The Oscars

Show just finished. Kinda disappointed Mickey Rourke lost (haven't seen either The Wrestler or Milk yet) just because I wanted to hear what he'd have to say.
                          The show production was as mediocre as as it has been the past few years. They emphasized the musical numbers over the comedy this year, but the highlights (Ben Stiller and the Tina Fey-Steve Martin interplay) were comedic , while the musical numbers were ponderous. Wonder if they'll switch back next year. God, I'm tired of listening to (but not tired of ogling) Beyonce on show after show; but Alicia Keys is better looking, IMO.

Comment

Having seen both The Wrestler and Milk I am disappointed that Rourke didn't when the trophy as his performance was truly outstanding, while Penn's was much closer to his normal standard (which is consistently very good)

Comment

One other thing. They could/should have given a fuller tribute to Paul Newman.

Comment

Working...
                              X