Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name your five favorite posters on T&FN

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Me, too. When people start talking about the origin of the universe, I tune out.
    Why? I'm sure you invest a great deal of gray matter with far more trivial 'unknowable' things, like "what actually goes on in a woman's brain?" The only thing more trivial than that would be trying to figure out if men think at all!
    Oh, men think all right, just not always with their brain... ask Elliot Spitzer.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by tandfman
      Me, too. When people start talking about the origin of the universe, I tune out.
      Why? I'm sure you invest a great deal of gray matter with far more trivial 'unknowable' things, like "what actually goes on in a woman's brain?" The only thing more trivial than that would be trying to figure out if men think at all!
      Nope, I recognized the futility of trying to understand women loonnngggg ago.
      As to men thinking, jury is still out.

      Comment


      • #63
        Billy Crystal said it something like this......If you are a man, and over 50, there is some chance that the blood will flow north to the brain, as compared to south to the ****.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Marlow
          Originally posted by tandfman
          Me, too. When people start talking about the origin of the universe, I tune out.
          Why? I'm sure you invest a great deal of gray matter with far more trivial 'unknowable' things, like "what actually goes on in a woman's brain?"
          Yes, indeed. But if I could ever figure that out, it would be VERY useful knowledge to me. (If I were the only one ever to figure it out, I could make an awful lot of money selling the secret.)

          OTOH, if I knew with certainty how the universe began, I can't imagine how that knowledge would be of any practical value. It would not change my life at all.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by tandfman
            if I knew with certainty how the universe began, I can't imagine how that knowledge would be of any practical value. It would not change my life at all.
            You'd be surprised! No matter how pragmatic one thinks he is, knowledge of his origin might just change everything. Think of the case of a racist who finds out he is biracial. Finding out 'what' was the First Cause might change your prospective on EVERYTHING. :wink:

            Comment


            • #66
              I don't dispute that all knowledge may and frequently does lead to unintended development in unsuspected areas. Understand, I encourage those so disposed to pursue the answers to questions that overwhelm me.
              I think each intellect finds its comfort level. I recognize that mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point than does that of those qualified to ponder the, to me, imponderables.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by lonewolf
                mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point
                good point - I've already got waaaay too many numbers in my head (9.69, 1:41:71, 20'2", etc.) to worry about ones that look like this:

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by lonewolf
                  I don't dispute that all knowledge may and frequently does lead to unintended development in unsuspected areas. Understand, I encourage those so disposed to pursue the answers to questions that overwhelm me.
                  I think each intellect finds its comfort level. I recognize that mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point than does that of those qualified to ponder the, to me, imponderables.
                  I find myself agreeing with you again Mr. lonewolf. I am highly suspect of finate beings with finate brain power suggesting a understandable of infinity, or a finite universe.

                  Just because we are the smartest animal of this particular dirt clod in space doesn't mean we are smart. Were dumb.
                  phsstt!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by lonewolf
                    mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point
                    good point - I've already got waaaay too many numbers in my head (9.69, 1:41:71, 20'2", etc.) to worry about ones that look like this:

                    ...and 245. Don't forget the finite number of 245.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Pego
                      ...and 245. Don't forget the finite number of 245.
                      Pego, i don't think he speaks that language.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Daisy
                        Originally posted by Pego
                        ...and 245. Don't forget the finite number of 245.
                        Pego, i don't think he speaks that language.
                        I do, and yes, 245 is a perfectly finite number. I don't even believe in 246.
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Now, some of you may remember that I threw this number out about 3 years ago, so stay away and let others try and tell why it has meaning here:

                          296

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Hmm, smells like an old address to me.
                            If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Ok, I give up. What is the significance of 245, 249 ?? :?

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                245 is the WR in the HJ. I've no idea what 249 is (or where it is even referred to in this thread).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X