X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Ok, I give up. What is the significance of 245, 249 ?? :?
    It's the answer (after adjusting for inflation) to the question, "What is the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything?"

cman

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    245 is the WR in the HJ. I've no idea what 249 is (or where it is even referred to in this thread).

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Ok, I give up. What is the significance of 245, 249 ?? :?

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Hmm, smells like an old address to me.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Now, some of you may remember that I threw this number out about 3 years ago, so stay away and let others try and tell why it has meaning here:

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by Pego
    ...and 245. Don't forget the finite number of 245.
    Pego, i don't think he speaks that language.
    I do, and yes, 245 is a perfectly finite number. I don't even believe in 246.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Pego, i don't think he speaks that language.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point
    good point - I've already got waaaay too many numbers in my head (9.69, 1:41:71, 20'2", etc.) to worry about ones that look like this:

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    I don't dispute that all knowledge may and frequently does lead to unintended development in unsuspected areas. Understand, I encourage those so disposed to pursue the answers to questions that overwhelm me.
    I think each intellect finds its comfort level. I recognize that mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point than does that of those qualified to ponder the, to me, imponderables.
    I find myself agreeing with you again Mr. lonewolf. I am highly suspect of finate beings with finate brain power suggesting a understandable of infinity, or a finite universe.

Just because we are the smartest animal of this particular dirt clod in space doesn't mean we are smart. Were dumb.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point
    good point - I've already got waaaay too many numbers in my head (9.69, 1:41:71, 20'2", etc.) to worry about ones that look like this:

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don't dispute that all knowledge may and frequently does lead to unintended development in unsuspected areas. Understand, I encourage those so disposed to pursue the answers to questions that overwhelm me.
    I think each intellect finds its comfort level. I recognize that mine stops with fewer numbers on either side of the decimal point than does that of those qualified to ponder the, to me, imponderables.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    if I knew with certainty how the universe began, I can't imagine how that knowledge would be of any practical value. It would not change my life at all.
    You'd be surprised! No matter how pragmatic one thinks he is, knowledge of his origin might just change everything. Think of the case of a racist who finds out he is biracial. Finding out 'what' was the First Cause might change your prospective on EVERYTHING. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Me, too. When people start talking about the origin of the universe, I tune out.
    Why? I'm sure you invest a great deal of gray matter with far more trivial 'unknowable' things, like "what actually goes on in a woman's brain?"
    Yes, indeed. But if I could ever figure that out, it would be VERY useful knowledge to me. (If I were the only one ever to figure it out, I could make an awful lot of money selling the secret.)

OTOH, if I knew with certainty how the universe began, I can't imagine how that knowledge would be of any practical value. It would not change my life at all.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Billy Crystal said it something like this......If you are a man, and over 50, there is some chance that the blood will flow north to the brain, as compared to south to the ****.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Me, too. When people start talking about the origin of the universe, I tune out.
    Why? I'm sure you invest a great deal of gray matter with far more trivial 'unknowable' things, like "what actually goes on in a woman's brain?" The only thing more trivial than that would be trying to figure out if men think at all!
    Nope, I recognized the futility of trying to understand women loonnngggg ago.
    As to men thinking, jury is still out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X