Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video on home page

I'd like to complain about the video on the front page. It hijacks my browser and plays automatically even though I haven't requested it to play. My computer freezes temporarily and I have to listen to audio I'm not interested in. I'm sure many people will be put off visiting the main site if this invasive viral marketing persists.

This crappy video commercial is following me around! It's on the front page of tilastopaja as well, extremely annoyning to have to press the pause button everytime you enter the site.

Comment

Yes, I agree. It's a bloody nuisence! Although it's more of a nuisence on tilastopaja when you have it on the front page and also when you want to search for an athlete.
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

It is also not overly office friendly. Turns a few heads to have commentary kick in while others are "working"

Comment

You could always turn your sound off.

Comment

Ben, get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
              Ben, get rid of it.
              Agreed. It's way too intrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                Not when I actually use sound-based materials for teaching etc and thus am listening to them during day (with occasionaly forays of to TFN)...

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                  Originally posted by gm
                  Not when I actually use sound-based materials for teaching etc and thus am listening to them during day (with occasionaly forays of to TFN)...
                  This goes on the "pet peeve" thread, but I hate when people have a radio or TV going at the office. Especially if it is on sports talk or ESPN... :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                    Ben, get rid of it.
                    So are tv commercials. But we all understand that they're there to enable the providing of free entertainment. I assume the videos on the home page are there for the same reason.

Saying "get rid of it" isn't going to work any more than telling NBC to get rid of commercials because they are way too intrusive.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      Ben, get rid of it.
                      So are tv commercials. But we all understand that they're there to enable the providing of free entertainment. I assume the videos on the home page are there for the same reason.

Saying "get rid of it" isn't going to work any more than telling NBC to get rid of commercials because they are way too intrusive.
                      The Catch-22 being that you gain advertising dollars based on the traffic on your page, but then irritate folks who get there and drive them away.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                        Ben, get rid of it.

I'm sorry but that is not a legitimate analogy. We all know that free internet entertainment is dependent on advertising, or at least the site provider attempting to attract advertisers. For that reason I support most efforts in this area. However, clicking on a site and having voices automatically come out of your speakers is simply too intrusive.

Comment

Ben, get rid of it.
                          Ben has nothing to do with the site's advertising content; that's the territory of the business/advertising office.

Needless to say, I'm lobbying for a fix, but the bills do need to be paid.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            I begrudge nothing that serves T&F in general or T&FN in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by gh
                              I begrudge nothing that serves T&F in general or T&FN in particular.
                              I don't think anyone begrudges the principle of having adverts on this site - it's just that there's one advert in particular that is especially annoying. T&FN can't change it easily though, because I think those video ads are streamed in from an outside source, so they are the ones who would possible have the power to switch off the autoplay control.

Comment

Working...
                              X