Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    sorry that crap is still hanging in there.... turns out the provider, like so many other companies, is currently going through a major contraction and the bodies we're used to dealign with are no longer in place.

Once again, my humble apologies.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    If I have to hear that dick say "alright class, let's button it..." one more time!!!!

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    Answered my question... yes, I AM the only computer user on earth who has no sound on purpose...

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by gh
    Needless to say, I'm lobbying for a fix, but the bills do need to be paid.
    I begrudge nothing that serves T&F in general or T&FN in particular.
    Small price to pay for countless hours of joy spent here.
    True enough. Not a big enough deal to get in a lather about.
    Certainly surprised me first time through. I guess that's the point, we all looked, right? Now I just ignore it, one click each time. Sure its a pain, but in the big picture, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• mcgato
    replied
    I just don't like the general direction of internet advertising. What started as mildly annoying banner ads, went to annoying pop-up ads, which morphed into more annoying pop-over ads, and now we have even more annoying automatically running videos. I'm not sure what the next level of annoying is going to be, but I'm quite sure someone will find it.

I'm pretty sure that TV ads are much less effective than they have been in the past. That is why product placement in the shows is becoming more and more prevalent. TV advertisers are learning that people ignore annoying ads.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Originally posted by gm
    You could always turn your sound off.
    Which I do, but forget to turn back on when I actually do need to watch a video of choice, not of compulsion. Off/on... no need for it.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Maybe one reason this doesn't bother me so much is that on the keyboard of my desktop computer at home, I've got a mute button. Very easy to use--no need to point and click on anything.

Leave a comment:

• lalala
    replied
    Pain in the arse indeed...!

Sorry, but it catches me out every time at work I come to check...means I come here a lot less than I would

Not that I can get onto the discussion pages at work anyway as I've been IP BANNED FROM THE FORUMS DESPITE IT ONLY BEING A TEMPORARY ONE WEEK BAN ORIGINALLY :roll:

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Originally posted by gh
    True enough. Not a big enough deal to get in a lather about.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I don't think anyone begrudges the principle of having adverts on this site - it's just that there's one advert in particular that is especially annoying. T&FN can't change it easily though, because I think those video ads are streamed in from an outside source, so they are the ones who would possible have the power to switch off the autoplay control.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Ben, get rid of it.
    Ben has nothing to do with the site's advertising content; that's the territory of the business/advertising office.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by marknhj
    Ben, get rid of it.
    Agreed. It's way too intrusive.
    So are tv commercials. But we all understand that they're there to enable the providing of free entertainment. I assume the videos on the home page are there for the same reason.

Saying "get rid of it" isn't going to work any more than telling NBC to get rid of commercials because they are way too intrusive.
    I'm sorry but that is not a legitimate analogy. We all know that free internet entertainment is dependent on advertising, or at least the site provider attempting to attract advertisers. For that reason I support most efforts in this area. However, clicking on a site and having voices automatically come out of your speakers is simply too intrusive.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Originally posted by marknhj
    Ben, get rid of it.
    Agreed. It's way too intrusive.
    So are tv commercials. But we all understand that they're there to enable the providing of free entertainment. I assume the videos on the home page are there for the same reason.

Saying "get rid of it" isn't going to work any more than telling NBC to get rid of commercials because they are way too intrusive.
    The Catch-22 being that you gain advertising dollars based on the traffic on your page, but then irritate folks who get there and drive them away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X