Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watchmen

Originally posted by Marlow
    I'm in line last night to see The Watchmen (don't ask - it was NOT good)
    You're right Marlow, it wasn't good. It was GREAT! I've seen it four times already ::shock:

But then I did read the original comics 20 years ago. The film couldn't have the depth of the original but I (and non-geek friends) thought it was great. And for a long movie - it flew by with hardly anyone leaving to take a pit-stop even.

At least you had to love the opening titlesthough? I think they're Oscar worthy.

I knew nothing about the comic, but loved the movie and am going again tonight. I thought it was a one of a kind thing and want to try to make sense of it. It is very much a postmodern superhero movie, and I can see where the makers of Heroes got some of their ideas from.

Have to say though that the row of guys behind me giggled outrageously at every glimpse of Dr Manhattan's penis! That came as a shock!

Comment

I'm usually all about comic book movies, but this one was just arrested-development, prepubescent male fantasy cheese (or corn). Rorschach was an interesting character, but the rest of them, even the 'hot babe', were not at all engaging. I have never had so much trouble suspending my disbelief for a movie. None of it was buyable on any level. It will, however, do great box office with the Sin City crowd, a movie I walked out on. Just proves my point a while back (that was largely misunderstood) that great box office does NOT mean great film.

Comment

I thought it was fair at best. There were a few ..wow..moments but a lot of low moments also. The little guy who needed his mask, being why it gets a fair.

Anyone familiar with Michael Moorcock's "Elric" saga. The albino prince with his runesword...Stormbringer!!!!! Tailor man for the big screen.

Comment

i had independently dismissed this movie, without benefit of reviews or any inkling of it background, as one I did not care to see. Now I may have to go to see how bad/good it is. Marlow was batting about .650 last time I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            Marlow was batting about .650 last time I checked.
            Ah yes, with the hoi polloi perhaps, but .999 with discerning sophisticated cosmopolites like myself! 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by lonewolf
              Marlow was batting about .650 last time I checked.
              Ah yes, with the hoi polloi perhaps, but .999 with discerning sophisticated cosmopolites like myself! 8-)
              Batting bout 900 for this resident idiot. How you didn't love Sin City is beyond me. I thought they produced a movie that achieved all of their goals in spades.
              phsstt!

Comment

Haven't seen it yet, but the local reviewer's commentary has me eager to go.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 004&sc=897

As a Dark Knight hater, this probably is what sold me the most:

<<....Watchmen," follows in the same vein, but goes deeper, achieving a psychological sophistication that "The Dark Knight" aimed for but didn't quite reach....>>

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Haven't seen it yet, but the local reviewer's commentary has me eager to go.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 004&sc=897

As a Dark Knight hater, this probably is what sold me the most:

<<....Watchmen," follows in the same vein, but goes deeper, achieving a psychological sophistication that "The Dark Knight" aimed for but didn't quite reach....>>
                  Be prepared to watch this big buffed out blue dude walking around with it all hanging out, make that hanging down.

Comment

what Jon Stewart referred to as "swinging some mean blue pipe" or words to that effect.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I just laughed out loud and snorted so loudly that passersby thought I was doing coke!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        what Jon Stewart referred to as "swinging some mean blue pipe" or words to that effect.
                        Never saw anything swing :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          It was clearly the most random use of a penis in movie history. There was no possible reason why he'd be nude. As a demigod, he would have no use for pants, but he would also have a consciousness that it was not the cultural norm. He did put on clothes sometimes, obviously for 'modesty's' sake, so why not all the time?

Comment

Call me crazy but i avoid penis movies. Dont get me wrong i dont hate penises In fact some of my best friends are adorned with the dangling phalus but showering after practice with a bunch of naked dudes for 4 years of track and cross country and 3 years in college im all penised out. It was just penis , penis penis.

I go to movies to get away from penis. There i am with my milk duds and popcorn and i look up on the big screen and see an giant penis? No thank you!

Who's with me? :x
                            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                              Who's with me? :x
                              Me is wit you.

Comment

Working...
                              X