• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Who's with me? :x
    Me is wit you.
    I knew it! It's Lonewolf and Squack against the penis people. Who will join our noble cause?
    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      I just laughed out loud and snorted so loudly that passersby thought I was doing coke!
      You have a strange idea of what a line of coke usually sounds like. Then there's all this talk of giant blue balls or dicks or whatever, on this thread. Glad I checked in today. I'll certainly avoid the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
        Be prepared to watch this big buffed out blue dude walking around with it all hanging out, make that hanging down.
        Sheesh - you'd think some of you mighta been in a locker room once or twice before...

I hardly noticed it myself but it really seems to have affected some people given posts on other boards. And it seems to be 99% Americans - the rest of the world go 'so what''. The people complaining about Doc Manhattan's ''wedding tackle'' hardly ever seem to comment on the overt violence however. Hmmm... :roll:

It was clearly the most random use of a penis in movie history. There was no possible reason why he'd be nude. As a demigod, he would have no use for pants, but he would also have a consciousness that it was not the cultural norm. He did put on clothes sometimes, obviously for 'modesty's' sake, so why not all the time?
        It was better explained in the comic, but that's exactly why he started wearing clothes - his gradual withdrawal from human society, becoming more alien and godlike. To adapt a phrase in the movie, the modesty and morals of humans meant no more to him than the morals of termites... He was naked in the movie at his home, when he went to another planet and in the end when things like wearing pants surely weren't the most important thing...

It's Lonewolf and Squack against the penis people. Who will join our noble cause?
        Not me. I'm err,, standing up for the penis cause..

Comment

I haven't seen the flick, but there is an interesting article in todays paper, the Victoria Times-Colonist.
          Nhi Do, who plays the pregnant Vietnamese mistress of the Comedian, is a 3rd year student in English Literature at the University of Victoria. Here are a few quotes:
          * on meeting Billy Crudup (Mr. Manhattan), "the moment I walked on set, he came over and introduced himself. He was very welcoming, very jovial."
          * on talking about the burden of wearing a pregnancy suit, "that suit weighed a lot after 14 hours".
          * on considering herself fortunate to be able to play a wide range of characters, " I can play the tough-as-nails bisexual to the sorority girl to
          the bitch on campus to the best friend."
          * Nhi Do found Watchmen's principals "charming and helpful on the set in Burnaby."
          The column is Behind the Screen, by Michael D. Reid, and is entitled "A Burden in Burnaby." ( a reference to the pregnancy suit ).
          A whole column, and not a single penis-mention .

Comment

"Sheesh - you'd think some of you mighta been in a locker room once or twice before... "

This is the way i see it. People fit into one of 3 catagorys

A, Rather not see penises
            B. Want to see penises
            C. Dont care, penis, no penis, yawn

I know we need these things in the world but i would rather not see them. Why, i dont find them attractive. Maybe im a sicko. Im not gonna throw up, just rather not see em.
            phsstt!

Comment

...but showering after practice with a bunch of naked dudes for 4 years of track and cross country and 3 years in college im all penised out. It was just penis , penis penis.
              I just started going to a gym near my work at lunch and there's one old dude that just loves being naked in the locker room. The dude's not just a close talker but a naked close talker. He'll drip dry after showering and brush his teeth in the buff just to prolong his nakedness.

Turns out he's the President of the Bill Miller BBQ chain down here. I can never eat there again. All I can picture his him rubbing his manhood all over the sausage.

Comment

As a Watchman fan from 20 years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. The characters were all as I remembered them, and the plot line as intricately 80s as it could be! Virtually identical to the original, except a semi-major change to the end (and some small tidbits here and there that were inconsequential to the plot). Dialogue taken directly from the graphic novel. Besides, there hasn't been a good nuclear war themed movie in a while (Terminator: Salvation excepted). My wife knew nothing about the movie, but she thought it was fun too.

Aside from having Pre as Dr. Manhattan, the next best thing would have been the earlier plan for a Watchman movie (about 15 years ago). The potential director wanted to cast Ahnold S. as Dr. M., simply because he wanted him "naked and painted blue".

Comment

I had never heard of this comic strip/book until this movie came out. I ignored "24' for six(?) years. Now, I am so absorbed in 24 I don't think I want to add another fantasy land story, especially one featuring blue phalluses, or phalluses of any color, for that matter. (sp?, I don't think I have ever written that word before).

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
                    It was clearly the most random use of a penis in movie history. There was no possible reason why he'd be nude. As a demigod, he would have no use for pants, but he would also have a consciousness that it was not the cultural norm. He did put on clothes sometimes, obviously for 'modesty's' sake, so why not all the time?
                    It was better explained in the comic, but that's exactly why he started wearing clothes - his gradual withdrawal from human society, becoming more alien and godlike. To adapt a phrase in the movie, the modesty and morals of humans meant no more to him than the morals of termites... He was naked in the movie at his home, when he went to another planet and in the end when things like wearing pants surely weren't the most important thing...

Exactly. And in the comic/graphic novel (it was released as a 12-issue comic book before being later compiled into a graphic novel), this was never spelled out to you. Like it was with SO many of the literary devices used by Alan Moore in the story, your intelligence was honored/challenged.

Excellent use of foreshadowing and recurring theme--the movie couldn't possibly have done the story justice, really, but the director certainly tried and, to a solid extent, succeeded. [MAJOR ending element change, but it worked, and some may credibly argue, it was for the better.]

Many libraries have this book. Or go sit in Barnes & Noble on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Read it, preferably when you have time to look deeply at each panel. From what I've read here about movie/television tastes, I think most on this board will enjoy the overlapping subplots (The Black Freighter; the Comedian's [perhaps] role in the mysterious death of fellow Minuteman hero Hooded Justice; the unvoiced statement via Hollis' memoir book about how the status of "hero" changed with the coming of Dr. Manhatten, the "SUPER hero"--i.e., how relevant is a "Batman-type" hero when standing next to a God?--hence the "impotence" of the Dan Dreiberg/Nite Owl character [some critics dismissed him as simply some guy who can't get off unless it's after beating up bad guys--completely missed the point!]; the growing insanity of Mothman and the hate-crime killing of the lesbian Silhouette--both only briefly shown in the opening montage; etc.). Like all good books, it is about people, places, and things...the people just happen to be costumed crime fighters.

Lots of stuff. Good stuff.

[I'll take my royalty check now, please.]

Comment

Went to see the movie again last night and it is still brilliant - and all those who keep posting about penises without even seeing the movie, unless you're 12 years old, grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
                        all those who keep posting about penises without even seeing the movie, unless you're 12 years old, grow up.
                        Saw the movie, am not 12, presumably all grown up, felt it was written by a 12-year-old who thought it would be hysterical to show a wee-wee a lot and then have a sex scene that serves no better purpose than to indulge a pre-pubescent male fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
                          Went to see the movie again last night and it is still brilliant - and all those who keep posting about penises without even seeing the movie, unless you're 12 years old, grow up.
                          I was married at 19 with a child on the way, trust me I'm grown up...ok? Some stories I could tell about my wild and wholly days would ..whoa!!!!!! So this is not about being ...grown up. This is about why I go to see a movie like Watchmen. I want my senses wacked with the audio/visual effects the big screen/Hollywood can conjure up nowadays. Key word-entertained. There is nothing entertaining about some blue monstrosity wandering around with his penis hanging out. Sure give us one good shot so we get the picture then put some pants/underwear/wrap/whatever on the guy. There is a reason nobody in the audience is sitting there naked.

Brilliant, is the last word I'd use to descrbe....Watchmen. The fight scenes were past ridiculous and the musical score fit like a slipper on a hog. I came away thinking that I'm in the wrong line of work. I need to be making movies. First thing I'd do is re-make ...Watchmen,then Conan and then bring Elric to the big screen. I could do all that without a dangling penis in sight. I seriously doubt anyone would miss it.

Comment

I took Brian's advice and i now hang out in gym shower rooms. I have never felt more mature in my life. I'm loving it!
                            phsstt!

Comment

"Sheesh - you'd think some of you mighta been in a locker room once or twice before... "

B. Want to see penises

I know we need these things in the world but i would rather not see them. Why, i dont find them attractive. Maybe im a sicko. Im not gonna throw up, just rather not see em.
                              Compared to AICN type of threads, I always thought (whether I agreed or not with certain opinions) that on this board, people were pretty darn intelligent). But - no - now it's about seeing dicks.... which must be BAD... really BAD even though we all (ok most of us) have one....

Maybe we should also be concerned about any movies/threads/etc that might DISPLAY eyes, ears, arms or elbows.... or any other catagory (sic) of body part that some person might have a prob with...

Good job some of us weren't around in the original Olympic Games....

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort

B. Want to see penises

Compared to AICN type of threads, I always thought (whether I agreed or not with certain opinions) that on this board, people were pretty darn intelligent). But - no - now it's about seeing dicks.... which must be BAD... really BAD even though we all (ok most of us) have one....

Maybe we should also be concerned about any movies/threads/etc that might DISPLAY eyes, ears, arms or elbows.... or any other catagory (sic) of body part that some person might have a prob with...

Good job some of us weren't around in the original Olympic Games....
                                I'm sorry i should have added a :wink: , i thought discussion was :lol: but maybe it is not and i should be ops: . It never occured to me people would get :x ....... :shock:
                                phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                                X