X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cawood Ledford's Call of '66 Texas Western-Ky. NCAA Title Gm

Interesting in retrospect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-QpNV_ ... re=related

bijanc, in what way did you find it interesting?

BTW, the only other game Kentucky lost that season was to Tennessee, in the last game of the regular season. Ron Widby, the only four-sport letterman in UT history (football, basketball, baseball, golf), led the Vols. Here is the box score (note the game program cover at the bottom of this link):

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statis ... essee.html

I was at Rupp Arena when they honored this UK team ("Rupp's Runts") about 15 years ago. The ovation they received was incredible. It was loud, then became louder, and then louder. It was very moving. There are three Kentucky teams whose starting five most Kentucky fans -- and many hardcore fans of college basketball in general -- can name: the Fabulous Five, the Fiddlin' Five, and Rupp's Runts (so named because no starter was taller than 6-6 or so).

Comment

Either Dampier was sick or the Vols shut him down, he scored only 5 pts but averaged 21.1 PPG that year.

Pat Riley 21.97
      Louie Dampier 21.1
      Thad Jaracz 13.21
      Larry Conley 11.48
      Tommy Kron 10.24

(UK likes to calculate PPG to the 100ths place.)

Comment

Those of course are Rupp's Runts. Larry Conley does color commentary for SEC broadcats and is a great guy. He lives in Atlanta. I met him at Hartsfield a few years ago and he could not have been nicer to me.

Dr. Jay (or anybody) can you name the Fiddlin' Five? I cannot offhand. I can name the Fab Five and Rupp's Runts, but not the Fiddlin' Five.

Comment

I could throw out some names and act like I know something, but I really don't, so I sent this one on to Mom, Dad, and sis. If they don't know the answer, then they've been fooling us all over the years, with their UK this and UK that and Go Big Blue and all.

Comment

Fab Five: Alex Groza, Ralph Beard, Kenny Rollins, Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones, and Cliff Barker.

Fiddlin' Five: Vernon Hatton, Johnny Cox, John Crigler, Adrian Smith, and Ed Beck.

http://www.wildcatworld.com/stats/fidfive.htm

Rupp's Runts: Larry Conley, Louie Dampier, Pat Riley, Thad Jaracz, Tommy Kron.

Comment

Love this thread! My dad was telling me just the other day about how good a football player Wah Wah Jones was, also. Too bad most major programs frown on multi-sport athletes these days.

Let me throw you two a soft ball, here. Can you name the Unforgettables?

Comment

Mashburn, Woods, Pelphrey, Farmer, Feldhaus. I cannot stand Rick Pitino, but my heart broke when Laettner (sp) made that shot. That was also Cawood's last game as UK radio voice.

I think Richie Famer is Commissioner of Agriculture in Kentucky. He could be elected governor if he wanted it. Could that guy be more Kentucky?

Comment

Well done, Bill. You are corect about Richie on both counts.

Comment

Ledford's Call

"...bijanc, in what way did you find it interesting?"

I think it's informative to hear Ledford tell the listeners that the Miners have "...pretty much no offense...", and look to go "...one-on-one all the time...". Yet the game reveals plenty of passing and patience, and a moderate 72-65 pace.

Comment

Going to listen again for that. Thanks.

Comment

Hard for me to pull anything from those comments without knowing exactly what Rupp said. I don't believe Cawood meant to say anything negative about Texas Western.

Comment

http://www.kyagr.com/commissioner/index.htm

Here's Richie's bio page from the Kentucky agriculture website. Notice he still has that awesome 'stache! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                            I could throw out some names and act like I know something, but I really don't, so I sent this one on to Mom, Dad, and sis. If they don't know the answer, then they've been fooling us all over the years, with their UK this and UK that and Go Big Blue and all.
                            Well, Mom and sis didn't know the answer. Dad cheated and looked it up....he's not familiar with TAFNEWS message board trivia rules.

Comment

I have a book that has old newspaper clippings from the LA Times sports page. Way back in the day stuff.

Imagine this...

Negro Runs World Record.

Dead serious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Texas Western did have a couple sprint brothers back in the day. Who?

Comment

Working...
                              X