X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    dukehjsteve

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    [quote="BillVol"] my heart broke when Laettner (sp) made that shot.

Well, it sure did not break MY heart !!!

Leave a comment:

• BillVol

• BillVol
    replied
    Re: TW-UK/Beamon

Originally posted by bijanc
    According to Frank Fitzpatrick's 1999 book "And The Walls Came Tumbling Down", Rupp was going around College Park that wknd. asking folk "What does TWC stand for, two white coaches?" After the game he alluded that he could win the NCAA if he recruited every guy who "...could slam a ball through a hoop..."- saying he didn't raid schoolyards for players. He told media that Dave Lattin was recruited out of prison.

The footnote of course is that SI's two-part cover story "The Negro Athlete" ('68) focused heavily on poory-treated young men at the newly-named UTEP. Beamon attended. One can only wonder if Beamon, who attended North Carolina A & T and Texas Western, was a playground basketball buddy of Neville Shed, who played at A & T, then transferred to El Paso years later. Who told whom about the college?
    A Kentucky history website addresses this topic in depth:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/rupp.html

Leave a comment:

• bijanc

• bijanc
    replied
    TW-UK/Beamon

According to Frank Fitzpatrick's 1999 book "And The Walls Came Tumbling Down", Rupp was going around College Park that wknd. asking folk "What does TWC stand for, two white coaches?" After the game he alluded that he could win the NCAA if he recruited every guy who "...could slam a ball through a hoop..."- saying he didn't raid schoolyards for players. He told media that Dave Lattin was recruited out of prison.

The footnote of course is that SI's two-part cover story "The Negro Athlete" ('68) focused heavily on poory-treated young men at the newly-named UTEP. Beamon attended. One can only wonder if Beamon, who attended North Carolina A & T and Texas Western, was a playground basketball buddy of Neville Shed, who played at A & T, then transferred to El Paso years later. Who told whom about the college?

Leave a comment:

• Texas

• Texas
    replied
    I have a book that has old newspaper clippings from the LA Times sports page. Way back in the day stuff.

Imagine this...

Negro Runs World Record.

Dead serious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Texas Western did have a couple sprint brothers back in the day. Who?

Leave a comment:

• DrJay

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    I could throw out some names and act like I know something, but I really don't, so I sent this one on to Mom, Dad, and sis. If they don't know the answer, then they've been fooling us all over the years, with their UK this and UK that and Go Big Blue and all.
    Well, Mom and sis didn't know the answer. Dad cheated and looked it up....he's not familiar with TAFNEWS message board trivia rules.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol

• BillVol
    replied
    http://www.kyagr.com/commissioner/index.htm

Here's Richie's bio page from the Kentucky agriculture website. Notice he still has that awesome 'stache! :wink:

Leave a comment:

• BillVol

• BillVol
    replied
    Hard for me to pull anything from those comments without knowing exactly what Rupp said. I don't believe Cawood meant to say anything negative about Texas Western.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol

• BillVol
    replied
    Going to listen again for that. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• bijanc

• bijanc
    replied
    Ledford's Call

"...bijanc, in what way did you find it interesting?"

I think it's informative to hear Ledford tell the listeners that the Miners have "...pretty much no offense...", and look to go "...one-on-one all the time...". Yet the game reveals plenty of passing and patience, and a moderate 72-65 pace.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    Well done, Bill. You are corect about Richie on both counts.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol

• BillVol
    replied
    Mashburn, Woods, Pelphrey, Farmer, Feldhaus. I cannot stand Rick Pitino, but my heart broke when Laettner (sp) made that shot. That was also Cawood's last game as UK radio voice.

I think Richie Famer is Commissioner of Agriculture in Kentucky. He could be elected governor if he wanted it. Could that guy be more Kentucky?

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    Love this thread! My dad was telling me just the other day about how good a football player Wah Wah Jones was, also. Too bad most major programs frown on multi-sport athletes these days.

Let me throw you two a soft ball, here. Can you name the Unforgettables?

Leave a comment:

• BillVol

• BillVol
    replied
    Fab Five: Alex Groza, Ralph Beard, Kenny Rollins, Wallace "Wah Wah" Jones, and Cliff Barker.

Fiddlin' Five: Vernon Hatton, Johnny Cox, John Crigler, Adrian Smith, and Ed Beck.

http://www.wildcatworld.com/stats/fidfive.htm

Rupp's Runts: Larry Conley, Louie Dampier, Pat Riley, Thad Jaracz, Tommy Kron.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay

• DrJay
    replied
    I could throw out some names and act like I know something, but I really don't, so I sent this one on to Mom, Dad, and sis. If they don't know the answer, then they've been fooling us all over the years, with their UK this and UK that and Go Big Blue and all.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol

• BillVol
    replied
    Those of course are Rupp's Runts. Larry Conley does color commentary for SEC broadcats and is a great guy. He lives in Atlanta. I met him at Hartsfield a few years ago and he could not have been nicer to me.

Dr. Jay (or anybody) can you name the Fiddlin' Five? I cannot offhand. I can name the Fab Five and Rupp's Runts, but not the Fiddlin' Five.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X