X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrJay
    replied
    email from my college roommate, who lives in D.C.:

"As it turned out, I had to come to Chapel Hill on Monday...so I got to watch the game here. I heard that some stupid guy at the Franklin Street celebration last night tried to drink flaming Everclear, or maybe drink Everclear while jumping over a bonfire. Dude burned half of his face and ended in the ER. genius, with a capital G. "

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Mayhem in Chapel Hill:

http://www.dailytarheel.com/multimedia/ ... -1.1646328

Leave a comment:

• Jnathletics
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego

IIRC, Willis and Brannen went to Michigan.
    Too easy, huh? ops:

Kind of had a hand in them showing up. My brother had a meet on Friday and was trying to get some one to break the 4 minute mile, as it hasn't been done outdoors in Detroit. He tried to get Willis, but could never reach him. He did get a hold of Brannen and part of the appearance fee was two tickets to the Final Four. Needless to say he brought Willis to the game on Saturday. So, my seats were in the same row.

Too bad it was so windy and cold on Friday as the attempt failed.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    No doubt left by the Heels. A bit of an ugly second half, probably one of the more boring title games if you weren't a UNC fan.
    Co-sign, Doc.

I fell asleep.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by Jnathletics
    No doubt left by the Heels. A bit of an ugly second half, probably one of the more boring title games if you weren't a UNC fan.
    I was there, and it didn't seem they (heel fans) were to excited either. The only time they made any real noise was the big dunk right before halftime and near the end of the game. Otherwise 90% of the noise came from the State fans. So, it was alot quieter then the State-UConn game.

I also got to meet two Olympians at the games. It was very fitting for them to be at the Final Four, as the number four is the elite status for their event. Both were in the Beijing Olympics. Anyone care to guess who I meet? or do you need more clues? They live and train near Detroit but neither are Americans.
    IIRC, Willis and Brannen went to Michigan.

Leave a comment:

• Jnathletics
    replied
    I was there, and it didn't seem they (heel fans) were to excited either. The only time they made any real noise was the big dunk right before halftime and near the end of the game. Otherwise 90% of the noise came from the State fans. So, it was alot quieter then the State-UConn game.

I also got to meet two Olympians at the games. It was very fitting for them to be at the Final Four, as the number four is the elite status for their event. Both were in the Beijing Olympics. Anyone care to guess who I meet? or do you need more clues? They live and train near Detroit but neither are Americans.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Speaking of Madness, the local newspaper has been tracking the private jet of an Arizona booster that flew Xavier coach Sean Miller out to New Mexico for a meeting with Arizona brass, and is due back around 6:30. Slow newsday I guess.

This is a pretty cool little tool though.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N800WW

Interesting that the flight is circling around the south end of a serious band of weather due in town around the same time of the plane. Has already spawned tornado warnings locally.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    The best part of this year's MM is absence of Billy Packer.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Well, the Heels are on track. Tomorrow's game should be a good one. If they show up, they should win.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Holy Cross.... in 47 I think. Some kid named Cousy played for them.
    He did, but he was only a freshman and was not a significant part of their success. As noted above, the tournament MVP was his teammate George Kaftan, who also played in the NBA for a while after he left Holy Cross.

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Catholic 7

dukehjsteve is correct- USF's Homeless Dons were the seventh. Few people get that one, or realize the school's Catholic. And not a whole lot of "fans" name Loyola of Chic.

Holy Cross is so far back, a lot of people only get four colleges correct.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Those old Catholic championships are in here (Champ, runner-up, MVP):

1963 Loyola-IL Cincinnati Art Heyman, Duke
    1962 Cincinnati Ohio St Paul Hogue, Cincinnati
    1961 Cincinnati Ohio St Jerry Lucas, Ohio St
    1960 Ohio St California Jerry Lucas, Ohio St
    1959 California West Virginia Jerry West, West Virginia
    1958 Kentucky Seattle Elgin Baylor, Seattle
    1957 North Carolina Michigan St Wilt Chamberlain, Kansas
    1956 San Francisco Iowa Hal Lear, Temple
    1955 San Francisco La Salle Bill Russell, San Francisco
    1954 La Salle Bradley Tom Gola, La Salle
    1953 Indiana Kansas B.H. Horn, Kansas
    1952 Kansas St Johns Clyde Lovelette, Kansas
    1951 Kentucky Kansas St None
    1950 CCNY Bradley Irwin Dambrot, CCNY
    1949 Kentucky Oklahoma A&M Alex Groza, Kentucky
    1948 Kentucky Baylor Alex Groza, Kentucky
    1947 Holy Cross Oklahoma George Kaftan, Holy Cross

http://www.shrpsports.com/cb/finals.htm

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Lasalle (1940s? twice?)
    I think LaSalle's winning team(s) had Tom Gola, which would have been '50's, rather than '40's.
    Believe 54 was their year, and only 54.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Is San Francisco a Catholic school ?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X