Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you, too, get those bogus auto warranty phone calls?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you, too, get those bogus auto warranty phone calls?

We get about 3 a week and lots of others in our area do, too. A machine warns you about the impending deadline on your auto warranty. Every call is the "last warning". It doesn't matter if you own a car or if your car is 20 years old, your warranty is about to expire!

Push 2 to be taken off the call list (Don't bother, it merely confirms that someone answered the call.) Or push 1 to speak to a customer rep... I did that once and within seconds I was exchanging verbal F-bombs with some guy.

No regard for the national no-call list and no discrimination between home, business or cell phones. According to some online sources they spoof residential phone numbers so you can't tell where they are calling from. Every instance would be a federal crime, I would think.

So who are these people and why can't the feds do something about them? Doesn't convey a lot of confidence about larger issues like homeland security if the government can't track down the people doing such a large scale operation.

I get this and ten other calls every day for credid card, mortgage, etc. I just hang up as soon as I recognize it is a recording.. some are live.. I hang up on them too..

Comment

For automatic messages i leave the phone on the counter to maximise their online time.

For live, I pass it on to my three year old.

And yes, our auto warranty is about to expire and we have had at least 15 last chances to renew it.

Comment

You guys need to register here. I'm rarely bothered with telemarketing calls these days, after being swamped when I got a new number. If you do receive one, simply interrupt them and ask to be taken off their list:

http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          I get this and ten other calls every day for credid card, mortgage, etc. I just hang up as soon as I recognize it is a recording.. some are live.. I hang up on them too..
          When I have the time, I stay on long enough to speak to someone and tell them that they are violating Federal law (since I'm on the do-not-call list).

Comment

We ARE on the no-call list. It is pretty effective but the auto warranty guys are oblivious. That's why these calls are so annoying. A Better Business Bureau website I read said they'd gotten more than 140,000 complaints from people on the no-call list regarding the same auto-warranty calls! And that is only people who bothered to make another call to the BBB (a generally useless undertaking, in my view).

The one time I talked to them I told the guy he was violating federal law and that I was demanding to be taken off their call list. He said, "Ya can't always get what you want!" I said, "F*** you, a**h***" then hung up as he began to echo my erudite comment. I guess I should have used better communication skills.

Comment

The size of the operation must be staggering. Recently, I received it on my cell phone and a few minutes later on my office phone...they are two different area codes so it's not like their system was dialing consecutive numbers.

Comment

I can see the one mistake y'all are making: you actually pick up the phone!

If somebody calls from a number I don't recognize I don't even pick up the phone, and I never pick up when I hear spammers come on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  from a number I don't recognize I don't even pick up the phone
                  The luxury of caller ID. Although I suspect you have it filed under necessity

Comment

In that my number is unlisted, it's not really a necessity in the sense of having to hide. I've never thought of caller-ID as a luxury; it's an essential part of maintaining one's sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      I can see the one mistake y'all are making: you actually pick up the phone!

If somebody calls from a number I don't recognize I don't even pick up the phone, and I never pick up when I hear spammers come on the line.
                      Our phone ringer is always off and our answering machine is silent. They do call and leave messages, but that long pause at the beginning is all I need to hit the delete button. Not only do we get the auto warranty calls, we also get ones from debt collection phonebots. These are particularly funny because they are useless two ways: one, we have no overdue debts, and two, if we did we would not talk to anyone on the phone trying to collect them!

Comment

Working...
                      X