Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeopardy topic "Born to Run"

Last night on Jeopardy an answer was (paraphrased)
    "The Pre Classic in Eugene, Oregon is the best track and field meet in the US. Who is the meet named after?
    No one knew the question but someone did know Paavo Nurmi.

Wow. Track's popularity is in serious shape when even the Jeopardy know-it-alls can't answer that after 2 movies made about the man and such a big clue ("Pre Classic") was handed to them.

Comment

And I felt bad when I missed the Zola Budd question... bit it WAS a bit difficult. Needless to say the others were no-brainers.

Comment

At least they had the category. Sometimes they will do questions on the "Olympics".

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
          Wow. Track's popularity is in serious shape when even the Jeopardy know-it-alls can't answer that after 2 movies made about the man and such a big clue ("Pre Classic") was handed to them.
          If Pre had actually achieved something big - which your standard American sports fan would recognise - like setting a WR or winning an Olympic gold medal (or any medal, for that matter), I'd imagine the question would have been answered. But guess what - he didn't.

Comment

Perhaps they were confused by the reference to the best meet in the country and thought it was named after William Penn. :wink:

Comment

Maybe they thought that something called the Classic was the best meet in the country, and how could its preliminary meet be better?

Comment

Thanks, trig, for the notice. I occasionally watch the show but missed it yesterday.

I would have been amazed if they knew the answer (question). Yes, there were 2 movies, but they were in theaters about 2 weeks total, and the first was so awful that any thing after that would have numb the mind. Also the guy has been dead now for 34 years, my, how time flies. As for the gold medal thing,. how many nbn-track people would know who Boston, Seagren, or even Oerter were?

Anyways, I am glad Jeopardy gave us a chance to start another Pre thread. After all it has been 2 days since the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                  Maybe they thought that something called the Classic was the best meet in the country, and how could its preliminary meet be better?
                  Yes, they probably thought there was some Final Four involved. When is the Semi Classic coming?

Comment

Maybe the contestants were all furriners??

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=34494

Comment

Its like asking who's buried in Grant"s Tomb.
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                        And I felt bad when I missed the Zola Budd question... bit it WAS a bit difficult. Needless to say the others were no-brainers.
                        I missed it too, spending some 10 seconds trying to work out what the possible connection to Bikila was. The other questions were much easier. I watch Jeopardy fairly regularly - my wife eggs me on to try and become a contestant. Good to see some publicity for T&F.

Comment

Do they post all 5 of the questions (answers actually) anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo
                            Do they post all 5 of the questions (answers actually) anywhere?
                            This site appears to have every question and answer to every game ever, and also appears to take at least one day to post them. Friday's game Q&A is available, but yesterday's not quite yet.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2965

Comment

Originally posted by catson52
                              Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                              I missed it too, spending some 10 seconds trying to work out what the possible connection to Bikila was. The other questions were much easier. I watch Jeopardy fairly regularly - my wife eggs me on to try and become a contestant. Good to see some publicity for T&F.

My dream is to be on the show, and when the categories roll up, they are:

Track & Field

All Other Sports

Geography

US History

US Presidents

I'll clean up !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X