Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ever heard of Thundersnow?

Friend of mine in Seattle says that twice this winter there has been a thunderstorm while it's snowing. I believed him, but had never heard of such a thing. Our friends at Wiki confirm its (rare) existence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

I've been in thundersnow at least two times, once in Minnesota and once in New Jersey. It takes a very strong storm at just under freezing. Kind of weird to see lightning during a snowstorm though.

Comment

Heard the term a couple weeks ago on Weather Channel. Before then, never.

Comment

I have experienced this. In Seattle and Colorado.

Comment

Not all that uncommon in the midwest.

We have some odd things occur here. For me, snow rollers top the list.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Madison, Wisconsin had one this year.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
              For me, snow rollers top the list.
              Saw a lot of that in Connecticut growing up - and snow devils - mini snow tornadoes, like dust devils. But my favorite winter sight was when the birches would get glazed in ice after a freezing rain, and then the next day the wind woould bend the birches and all the glazed ice would fall to the ground in little pieces and look like a treasure trove of diamonds!

Comment

We see thundersnows in the Northeast when they are usually associated with Nor'easters. The low pressure is so strong at times it's almost like the atmosphere can't decide what it wants to do. You end up seeing lightning and hear cracks of thunder along with heavy bands of snow.
                If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Re: ever heard of Thundersnow?

Originally posted by gh
                  Friend of mine in Seattle says that twice this winter there has been a thunderstorm while it's snowing. I believed him, but had never heard of such a thing. Our friends at Wiki confirm its (rare) existence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow

We in Minnesota pretty much call anything colored white coming down during a rainstorm "freezing drizzle." It usually melts upon contact with the ground.

Thundersnow...sounds like some pro wrestler in the Alaskan circuit.

Comment

I have seen it here in Chicago. But the biggest version I remember was in Boulder back in 82. It was in the 70's during the day, a big cold front moved in with a snowstorm and a huge thunderstorm.

PS. The other extreme weather that year in Boulder was a chinook that measured 140 miles an hour. I thought our apartment was going to fall down.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                      I have seen it here in Chicago. But the biggest version I remember was in Boulder back in 82. It was in the 70's during the day, a big cold front moved in with a snowstorm and a huge thunderstorm.

PS. The other extreme weather that year in Boulder was a chinook that measured 140 miles an hour. I thought our apartment was going to fall down.

The winds coming down to the city through Boulder Canyon do amazingly weird things. I remember standing on a city street one time in full sunlight, perfectly dry, watching it rain like a bathroom shower on steroids just across the street.

Comment

We are having thundersnow today.

Comment

Got thundersnow in the NYC area tonight. Twice I have seen flashes of light followed by thunder. Kind of nasty out there.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                            Kind of nasty out there.
                            Putting it mildly. Possibly nastiest winter night I've experienced, both in the midwest or NE.

Comment

Working...
                            X