Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how the failing newspaper industry shot itself in the foot..

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I read the paper (if the U-T can be considered such) inside out. First the sports page. I skim NBA, go over the box scores later (U-T has the shitty abreviated kind, no local team. Doesn't stop baseball boxes) and look for T&F, but usually they barely cover the local college teams. HS coverage is a bit better.

Then on to the NYT crossword. I have to finish it quickly so Mary can have her puzzle. Don't know what we'd do with a paper with only one CW.

Then to the arts/comics/food/catchall section. Figure out what I need to read in the content part, then the comics (don't do the action/romance strips or Cathy, but the U-T dropped it). Back to content section for reviews, etc. By that time, Mary has usually finished the op-ed section. That has contracted since we moved down, but my old paper, SF Chron has the same problem. Not many columns. U-Ts are pretty far right, with George Will being the voice of reason.

Then, the front page. I admit, since I am retired, I don't have any time pressure on the paper. Back when I worked, I usually took chunks of the paper to work.

Comment

The highlight of my day is my mornin paper and first cup of coffee.

Read the front page on the way back to the house. Sit down, read front page unless i know there is a sports result i have to get.

Can't imagine life without a newspaper.
      phsstt!

Comment

Newspapers have been around a long time, and I can't really imagine that they'll all disappear. But the trend in the business is not good, and the general economic situation isn't helping.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          Newspapers have been around a long time, and I can't really imagine that they'll all disappear. But the trend in the business is not good, and the general economic situation isn't helping.
          We were talking about this at lunch yesterday. General consensus is that when today's 40-year-olds disappear, so will newspapers.

Comment

For whatever reason there was no paper this morning. Reading it online (and they have a good online site) is NOT the same . . .

Comment

Sitting in front of the days newspaper spread out on the table with a big cup of coffee- one of life's priceless treasures.

http://www.mattbors.com/archives/495.html

I have never bought a bottled water.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                For whatever reason there was no paper this morning. Reading it online (and they have a good online site) is NOT the same . . .
                Print it.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

I agree, tandf.

I dont think they'll all disappear.

The market will shrink further and to what point I dont know.

But they'll be in breakrooms, breakfast diners, airports, airplanes, etc. I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                    Originally posted by bad hammy
                    Print it.
                    Funny.

Comment

[quote=bad hammy]
                      Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                      Originally posted by "bad hammy":z49ssrxy
                      Print it.
                      Funny.[/quote:z49ssrxy]

Comment

Meanwhile, the newspaper biz seems to be all over the place in its use or non-use of the web. The Seattle Post Intelligencer recently discontinued its print edition and is now available only online. But the International Herald Tribune has done exactly the opposite. It no longer maintains a separate web site--if you go to its former site, www.iht.com, you're redirected to the so-called global edition of the NY Times web site. But you can get the print edition of the IHT all over the world.

Comment

good relevant column by Arianna Huffington (devoid of political content)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-h ... 85309.html

Comment

An interesting column on this in today's NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/busin ... 3carr.html

Faced with an ad market that no longer supplies enough revenue to meet costs, many newspapers are now considering putting up pay walls on their Web sites, long an anathema in Internet culture. Consumers used to roaming freely across the Web in search of news and opinion may soon find themselves being asked to register at news sites and, in some cases, to fork over a credit card number.

Comment

fork over a credit card number.
                              as long as there is a creditable news source for free out there, it ain't gonna happen. The only site I pay money for is the Florida HS T&F site, flrunners.com, because I can access all the stats there. Tilastopaja would be another one.

Comment

I think the point of the Times article, and the fears expressed by some, is that because of the economics of the business, there may soon come a time when there won't be any free creditable news sources left.

Comment

Working...
                                X