Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in favour of having an 'ignore' function installed?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    I can "ignore" on my own w/o this proposed additional service. Simply not needed !
    If you don't need it, don't use it. Again, its inclusion is easily ignored by those who don't want to use it, and will improve the experience for those who do.

I'm not sure folks know how this feature works. If I, bad hammy, decide that I never want to see another post from dukehjsteve, I edit my profile so that I and I alone never see another one of his posts. Doesn't change the experience for anyone else here.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
      I can "ignore" on my own w/o this proposed additional service. Simply not needed !
      If you don't need it, don't use it. Again, its inclusion is easily ignored by those who don't want to use it, and will improve the experience for those who do.
      You're right. In hindsight, I should have just added one poll option - 'yes' - because if it does get installed, it simply won't affect those who don't want to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
        You're right. In hindsight, I should have just added one poll option - 'yes' - because if it does get installed, it simply won't affect those who don't want to use it.
        It might, and probably would. We can hope people here are too clever for that to happen, but "please put XYZ on ignore, everybody" spam can hijack and spoil a thread much more effectively than XYZ himself ever could, never mind more hurt feelings. That's just one example. Any major disagreements between people would gain a new dimension (and, trust me, 98% of the time it wouldn't consist of the majorly disagreeing people putting each other on ignore). I'm sure gh could keep everybody pretty much in line (but he already does so it's not as though there are any first-class trolls or spammers around to ignore!)

Besides, can you name any given regular XYZ here not capable of starting a thread you could contribute to? If you were ignorant of the thread and didn't contribute, it would be everybody's loss. Could not any given XYZ make some T&F-related error (historical, say) you would correct if aware? If you didn't, it would be everybody's loss. And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
          Besides, can you name any given regular XYZ here not capable of starting a thread you could contribute to?
          Yes. Or lets put it this way: I know of at least one regular whose threads I never ever open.

Comment

Talk about over reacting..sheesh!

I think both myself and eldrick bring enought to the table to warrant a.."mini brawl"...it's not the norm, which should be obvious. Now if it happened all the time, then yes something is broke and needs fixing.

Calm down..ok? In all my time on these boards I've never been called a....troll :cry:

Comment

I'm not sure folks know how this feature works. If I, bad hammy, decide that I never want to see another post from dukehjsteve, I edit my profile so that I and I alone never see another one of his posts. Doesn't change the experience for anyone else here.
              Actually, it does.

For example...

Once you put someone on ignore then you can't see their posts. Which means you can't see that they may have already answered a question or addressed an issue in a thread. You also cant see their side of an discussion they may be engaged in which could cause you to respond inappropriately and disrupt the flow of a conversation involving several people.

Its just kind of goofy.

But hey, if you cant control yourself by ignoring posts on your own that don't interest you, go ahead and install it and mess up the board experience for people strong willed enough to ignore what doesnt interests them.

Also, you asked what do the people who dont want it care if its installed.

Well, I ask you...

What do you care that we care?

Also, it takes all kinds in this world you know? Those guys aren't violating any boards rules and apparently they're enjoying themselves.

I dont feel the need to ignore everyone who isnt just like me or act like I do.
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
                Talk about over reacting..sheesh!

I think both myself and eldrick bring enought to the table to warrant a.."mini brawl"...it's not the norm, which should be obvious. Now if it happened all the time, then yes something is broke and needs fixing.

Calm down..ok? In all my time on these boards I've never been called a....troll :cry:
                Tex

FWIW I personally dont feel that you or your posts have been offensive or out of line. You guys merely had an intense discussion about a particular issue.

More power to you.

Just know that it doesnt bother everyone.

I think what happens to often is that for many people their point of reference is themselves. So, if people dont act like they do or do what they would have done in a given situation then they let it bother them.

I'll tell you something else, in my experiences when boards have the ignore feature then people who claim to use it often are peeking and reading the people who they say bother them.

The truth is that the root of this is their own obsession and not the people they claim to want to ignore..

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                  Again...

That's not true.

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                    Besides, can you name any given regular XYZ here not capable of starting a thread you could contribute to?
                    Yes. Or lets put it this way: I know of at least one regular whose threads I never ever open.
                    This wont help your 'install the ignore feature' argument you know.

Comment

You mean to tell me that this function has not been part of this board all along? That was my explanation for how and why everyone so successfully and completely ignores my posts -- now I have to accept that posters might have actually read my posts, but found them utterly uninteresting. Sigh. :wink:

Comment

Could it be you were just ignoring anyone who called you one? :wink:

Comment

I think both myself and eldrick bring enought to the table to warrant a.."mini brawl"
                          A "mini brawl"? If the 20.13 thread is a mini-brawl, I'd hate to see what a regular sized brawl or, God forbid, a maxi-brawl looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
                            I'm in favour of adding the ignore button - I don't know how to describe such duelling, but it spills over into too many other threads. Besides, if you can just ignore a troll it helps a lot and you'd get less people 'feeding' the troll.
                            A troll..hahahaha!!!!!!! Come on man..sheesh!
                            Sorry Texas - it comes across as though I was calling particular people trolls but I didn't mean specific posters like you Texas. I was talking about trolls in general so don't take it personally! 8-)

Although I usually enjoy reading your posts I'm afraid the 20.13 thread defeated me! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                              I think both myself and eldrick bring enought to the table to warrant a.."mini brawl"
                              A "mini brawl"? If the 20.13 thread is a mini-brawl, I'd hate to see what a regular sized brawl or, God forbid, a maxi-brawl looks like.
                              How about a flashing thread title indicating an endlessly monotonous back-and-forth going on between 2 people? Or some icon showing something stinky, or someone snoring? Hopefully the posters involved in 20.13 can grasp the fact that when we see page 5 is reached with one or other of 2 entirely predictable names involved, that we are prone to avoid opening it.

Comment

TrackDaddy spoke very well on this subject... I agree with him totally.

Having said that, this entire issue is not going to affect World Civilization to a significant degree.

Comment

Working...
                                X