Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters

That time of year approaching again

Rumoured to have bad weather in the offing, so that coud make it a tough slog for all involved ( similar to past 2y )

Musings ?

We all get to pick ONE golfer to win, and I pick first. I'll take,,, oh, let me see.... I'll take.... Tiger.

Comment

I guess my favorite sporting event even though I'm not a golfer. Wish I could be there enjoying the $2 beers, $1.50 pimiento cheese sandwiches, etc. I think the most expensive item on the menu is the Masters Club (around $3.50).

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
        We all get to pick ONE golfer to win, and I pick first. I'll take,,, oh, let me see.... I'll take.... Tiger.

He's over 40 years old?

;]

Comment

i take mcilroy

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
            If anybody named "Field" is entered I may take your bet.

Comment

Re: Masters

Originally posted by eldrick
              That time of year approaching again

Rumoured to have bad weather in the offing, so that coud make it a tough slog for all involved ( similar to past 2y )

Musings ?
              You should include 'The' in the thread title.

Tiger said that he has yet to reach his prime. :shock:

I like how this tournament and the perception of it has evolved since he crushed the field about a decade ago.

Whatever happened to Fuzzy Zoeller? :? :lol:

What was the meal that Tiger requested the next year? Was it fried chicken?

They changed the course because Tiger won so convincingly, apparently to prevent it from happening again.

One of my best moments was seeing Tiger put the jacket on Phil a few years ago. Phil deserved it.

Whatever happened to Hootie Johnson? Is he in the 21st Century yet? :lol:

Whatever happened to David Duval?

Remember when Greg Norman said that Tiger Woods was a regular golfer 'like the rest of us." He couldn't have been more wrong. On the final day at least, Tiger is the antithesis of Greg Norman.
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                According to this article:
                http://golf.about.com/od/majorchampions ... dinner.htm
                Our favorite Champions Dinner menu was the one offered by Tiger Woods in 1998: cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, french fries and milkshakes.

Comment

Masters Trivia (no reference works allowed):

1) What was the original name of the tournament (or toonament as the hosts call it) in the first few years before it became The Masters?

2) Who was the first player to tee off in the first Masters and what was unusual about him?

3) When Gene Sarazen made the double eagle in 1935, who was his playing partner?

4) Who is the only player to have been Masters runner-up four times (and its not Greg Norman)?

5) Who was the first player to win three Masters?

6) Name the two amateurs who almost won, leading well into the last round, in 1954 and 1956.

7) Who was runner-up to Nicklaus when he won his first Masters in 1963?

8) What was de Vicenzo's famous remark after the scorecard signing incident in 1967?

9) Who won the first Masters Tournament?

10) What was the land used for that later became the Augusta National Golf Club?

11) What are the yearly dues at Augusta National for members?

12) What chronic condition did Bobby Jones die of?

13) Who has won both the Masters and the Par 3 tournament that precedes it?

14) Arnold Palmer won in 1958/60/62/64 - in those years he never hit a drive in the two left bunkers on 18. Why was that the case?

15) Who was the President/director of the Augusta National/Masters until the mid-70s and how and where did he die?

Comment

Since no one else has tried, I'll take some wild assed guesses.
                    4) Jack Nicklaus?
                    5) Sam Snead?
                    7) Palmer?
                    11) Probably something silly like $0 or $1?
                    13) Did Mickelson do it?
                    14) Iron to lay up short?

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                      Since no one else has tried, I'll take some wild assed guesses.
                      4) Jack Nicklaus?
                      5) Sam Snead?
                      7) Palmer?
                      11) Probably something silly like $0 or $1?
                      13) Did Mickelson do it?
                      14) Iron to lay up short?
                      No, no, no, no, no, and no. (#11 may be sorta correct)

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                        Masters Trivia (no reference works allowed):

1) What was the original name of the tournament (or toonament as the hosts call it) in the first few years before it became The Masters? Augusta National Golf tournament ??? I believe I read somewhere that Jones did not like the name "Masters." (But Cliff Roberts did, and you can guess who won that one.)
                        2) Who was the first player to tee off in the first Masters and what was unusual about him? Bob Jones himself? Only major tourney founder to play in own tourney?
                        3) When Gene Sarazen made the double eagle in 1935, who was his playing partner?

4) Who is the only player to have been Masters runner-up four times (and its not Greg Norman)? Tom Weiskopf? sp

5) Who was the first player to win three Masters? Palmer (?)
                        6) Name the two amateurs who almost won, leading well into the last round, in 1954 and 1956.

7) Who was runner-up to Nicklaus when he won his first Masters in 1963?

8) What was de Vicenzo's famous remark after the scorecard signing incident in 1967? I'm a dummy

9) Who won the first Masters Tournament? Horton Smith (?)

10) What was the land used for that later became the Augusta National Golf Club? A nursery.

11) What are the yearly dues at Augusta National for members?

12) What chronic condition did Bobby Jones die of? Don't remember the name of the condition, but I remember his reply to the question, "What is the cure for it." Jones said: "Death."
                        13) Who has won both the Masters and the Par 3 tournament that precedes it? I don't believe it has ever happened.

14) Arnold Palmer won in 1958/60/62/64 - in those years he never hit a drive in the two left bunkers on 18. Why was that the case? Weren't the course's front and back nine reversed back then? (The current hole nine was the 18th back then and vice-versa.)
                        15) Who was the President/director of the Augusta National/Masters until the mid-70s and how and where did he die?
                        Cliff Roberts -- committed suicide at the AGNC.

Some great trivia. Look forward to the answers.

Comment

You should include 'The' in the thread title
                          so not to confuse it with

"moldovan masters" ?!

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                            According to this article:
                            http://golf.about.com/od/majorchampions ... dinner.htm
                            Our favorite Champions Dinner menu was the one offered by Tiger Woods in 1998: cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, french fries and milkshakes.
                            That's what happens when kids pick the restaurant. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                              You should include 'The' in the thread title
                              so not to confuse it with

"moldovan masters" ?!
                              Naw... just 'cause it sounds better.

Comment

Working...