replied
    Illiterate?

Apparently he could read the greens.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    you haven't been to a british municipal course

forget having a leak, they go for number 2s !!!
    As NY Police Captain McClusky said in " The Godfather', " If you gotta go, you gotta go."

But if I hit the ball in the rough on a British Muni, I'll be looking for more than my ball.

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    you haven't been to a british municipal course

forget having a leak, they go for number 2s !!!

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    I should have DQed you ahead of time for having insider knowledge!

By the by, I found a reference to Liz's caddying for him at the '83 Masters as a 19-year-old. What was/are the old August troglodytes' thoughs about women as caddies?
    On a much more mundane level, when girls started caddying at a friend's country club, many of the male golfers complained, because they said it made it much more difficult for them to even discreetly take a leak while out on the course.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Liz A., as I recall, was not national-class, but was definitiely the type who who was good enough to letter.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    George Archer was about the purest putter you could ever imagine. Unbelievably repetitive stroke. Not a very long hitter for a big guy, not renowned as a ball striker, but could really roll his ball.

Leave a comment:

• AS
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam
    Originally posted by gh

By the by, I found a reference to Liz's caddying for him at the '83 Masters as a 19-year-old. What was/are the old August troglodytes' thoughs about women as caddies?
    Was she any good as a javelin thrower? I never really saw any marks for her.
    Not in Stanford's top 9 all-time with old implement (so less than 43.62 or 143 foot) - I'm presuming her last name was Archer...

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Was she any good as a javelin thrower? I never really saw any marks for her.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Obviously they did not like that but once they let in the pro tour caddies, they were probably stuck. Pro caddies not allowed until the early 80s or so.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Re: a Masters winner who couldn't read

Originally posted by gh
    '69 winner George Archer

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

(There's a good track-trivia connection in the greater scope of this; can anybody name it?)
    His daughter, who later carried his bag on the senior tour for a few years, was a javelin thrower at Stanford.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    started a topic a Masters winner who couldn't read

a Masters winner who couldn't read

'69 winner George Archer

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

(There's a good track-trivia connection in the greater scope of this; can anybody name it?)
Working...
X