Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Latest "Future" Candidate for the Darwin Award

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts





  • Their personnel department needs some revamping, particularly the hiring section.
    Last edited by J Rorick; 10-15-2020, 06:29 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by J Rorick View Post
      Their personnel department needs some revamping, particularly the hiring section.
      The vetting process was probably the size of the gun you brought to the interview.

      Comment


      • Georgia Politician Vernon Jones Crowdsurfs Sans Mask at Trump Rally

        https://www.thedailybeast.com/georgi...at-trump-rally

        Comment


        • Burglars butt-dial cops mid-heist: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ry/ar-BB1czCVj

          Comment


          • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
            Georgia Politician Vernon Jones Crowdsurfs Sans Mask at Trump Rally

            https://www.thedailybeast.com/georgi...at-trump-rally
            Let's hope he gets the justice he deserves

            Comment


            • This story was tough to find the right thread for and I wasn't sure it was worthy of its own, but it sounds like two potential future Darwin winners in the story:

              Man steals car with boy inside, comes back to return child and scold mom

              BEAVERTON, Ore. — Beaverton police say a man stole a woman's car with her young son inside, then quickly turned around, returned the child to his mother and scolded her for leaving him there.

              https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...b-a42b9169c10c
              Last edited by bad hammy; 01-18-2021, 03:48 PM.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by bad hammy View Post
                This story was tough to find the right thread for and I wasn't sure it was worthy of its own, but it sounds like two potential future Darwin winners in the story:
                If I were to decide to steal a car and found myself in this guy's position, I'd probably do the same. There's no accounting for bad parenting.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NotDutra5 View Post

                  If I were to decide to steal a car and found myself in this guy's position, I'd probably do the same. There's no accounting for bad parenting.
                  Which presumably the perpetrator had which is why he grew up to be a car thief

                  Comment


                  • Meanwhile....


                    Pandemic Wilderness Explorers Are Straining Search and Rescue

                    Inexperienced adventurers have flooded remote areas like Wyoming’s Sublette County during the pandemic. When they call for help, the task is left to an overwhelmed network of volunteers.


                    Mr. Hayes said he was glad people were discovering the beauty of the Winds, but the cavalier attitudes have been frustrating. He remembers a man from Florida who stopped by the shop in November, intent on climbing nearby Gannett Peak, Wyoming’s tallest mountain. The man had no backpacking experience for the 40-plus-mile trek, which included ice climbing over a glacier, Mr. Hayes said. He advised the man against the trip, repeatedly, then watched helplessly as the man ignored him and walked out.

                    The next day, Mr. Hayes said, he received a phone call: A ranger had found the man, huddled in his car at the trailhead, unable to turn on his camp stove. Having spent the frigid night in his vehicle, the man had finally been persuaded to return home.


                    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/u....co/zzGNRhUhWo

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
                      Meanwhile....


                      Pandemic Wilderness Explorers Are Straining Search and Rescue

                      Inexperienced adventurers have flooded remote areas like Wyoming’s Sublette County during the pandemic. When they call for help, the task is left to an overwhelmed network of volunteers.


                      Mr. Hayes said he was glad people were discovering the beauty of the Winds, but the cavalier attitudes have been frustrating. He remembers a man from Florida who stopped by the shop in November, intent on climbing nearby Gannett Peak, Wyoming’s tallest mountain. The man had no backpacking experience for the 40-plus-mile trek, which included ice climbing over a glacier, Mr. Hayes said. He advised the man against the trip, repeatedly, then watched helplessly as the man ignored him and walked out.

                      The next day, Mr. Hayes said, he received a phone call: A ranger had found the man, huddled in his car at the trailhead, unable to turn on his camp stove. Having spent the frigid night in his vehicle, the man had finally been persuaded to return home.


                      https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/u....co/zzGNRhUhWo
                      I've just checked and that mountain is 13,810 feet. Here in the UK, an inexperienced person would be considered foolish for attempting a mountain a fifth of that height alone in November.

                      Comment


                      • Here's a picture that appeared our in paper today.

                        612d4b984f8af.image.jpg
                        Here's the caption that accompanied the picture.

                        After being airlifted out of Grand Isle Monday afternoon, August 30, 2021, Jana Freeman, left, and her boyfriend Chris Palmer, center, talk with Coast Guard survival technician Jonathan Stamper, right, after Stamper's helicopter dropped them off in a parking lot near the Barry P. Bonvillain Civic Center they were to take shalter at in Houma, Monday, August 30, 2021, after Hurricane Ida made landfall on Sunday then marched inland.
                        I realize most of you aren't well versed in Louisiana geography but if you go look at Grand Isle on the map, you will understand why I have as little use for these folks as I do all the anti-vaxxers who are overrunning our hospitals and depriving deserving people of precious ICU beds.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post
                          Here's a picture that appeared our in paper today.

                          612d4b984f8af.image.jpg
                          Here's the caption that accompanied the picture.



                          I realize most of you aren't well versed in Louisiana geography but if you go look at Grand Isle on the map, you will understand why I have as little use for these folks as I do all the anti-vaxxers who are overrunning our hospitals and depriving deserving people of precious ICU beds.
                          Do you mean because they insist on living at sea level in hurricane alley?
                          You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                            Do you mean because they insist on living at sea level in hurricane alley?
                            No because they didn't evacuate..Did you find Grand Isle on the map? When I showed this to some co-workers today they just shook their heads in disbelief. Maybe you just have to have seen Grand Isle to appreciate what I'm talking about. The only sane folks who would not evacuate are in hurricane bunkers.
                            Last edited by jazzcyclist; 09-01-2021, 03:21 AM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jazzcyclist View Post

                              No because they didn't evacuate..Did you find Grand Isle on the map? When I showed this to some co-workers today they just shook their heads in disbelief. Maybe you just have to have seen Grand Isle to appreciate what I'm talking about. The only sane folks who would not evacuate are in hurricane bunkers.
                              Oh, I got you now. Not their day-to-day residing there, but their refusal to get out. Yep, agree. Seems silly. I remember way back during Katrina wondering why more people didn't get out when they could. Hurricanes don't sneak up on you, so even if you just (for healthy folk) walked 10 miles a day, for example. I know some people were disabled and truly trapped, but people with the ability to get out who didn't...and then needed evacuation? Frustrating. Of course, as a firefighter we see this kind of behavior daily.

                              I've taken to subtly sliding the question "are you vaccinated" to people during the interview portion of our medical runs. It's amazing to me how many folk, who are calling us because they have xyz ailment, still aren't. Frustrating!
                              Last edited by scottmitchell74; 09-01-2021, 03:30 AM.
                              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by scottmitchell74 View Post

                                Oh, I got you now. Not their day-to-day residing there, but their refusal to get out. Yep, agree. Seems silly. I remember way back during Katrina wondering why more people didn't get out when they could.
                                I'll bet those folks aren't from Louisiana and haven't lived there long, but they should have figured it out from what everyone else was doing. The sane folks who live in places like Grand Isle, Cameron and Bootheville-Venice accept evacuation as part of life.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X