• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian
    replied
    Re: Your favorite all-time drummer

Originally posted by Arnie
    Originally posted by Brian
    [Rich was always fun...great sense of humor. Did he die of lung cancer?

On April 2, 1987, Rich died of heart failure following surgery for a malignant brain tumor.

Thanks. Probably could have looked it up, but then I always figure with these things if I did that there's zero chance anyone might have potential anecdote to share.

Leave a comment:

• cladthin
    replied
    #1 Joe Morello

Also a fan of:
    Buddy Rich
    Tony Williams
    Elvin Jones
    Max Roach
    Papa Jo Jones
    Philly Joe Jones
    Jimmy Cobb
    Chad Wackerman
    Bill Bruford
    Billy Cobham
    Neal Peart
    Rod Morgenstein
    Carl Palmer
    John Bonham
    Keith Moon
    Steve Smith
    Phil Collins (before achieving pop icon status)

Leave a comment:

• Arnie
    replied

Originally posted by Brian
    Originally posted by Dietmar239
    For me, I like diversity. I'm good with John Bonham and I also like Buddy Rich.

Throw some names at me.

Rich was always fun...great sense of humor. Did he die of lung cancer?

For modern rock, I really like Larry Mullen Jr. Great talent and solid backbone of the U2 songbook. Always thought he was overshadowed by Bono and The Edge.

Fun to watch on the "Live at Stane Castle" DVD.

On April 2, 1987, Rich died of heart failure following surgery for a malignant brain tumor.

Leave a comment:

• Arnie
    replied
    The best ever Buddy Rich Buddy Rich Buddy Rich Buddy Rich

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Buddy Rich on The Muppert Show was classic. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Max Roach and Keith Moon.

This thread made me play an interesting disc, Rich Versus Roach (the only Rich I have) - a nice little cutting session. My favorite disc with Max Roach is a Duke Ellington led trio with Charles Mingus, 1962's Money Jungle, a truly exceptional work of music. The two cuts of A Little Max say all you need to know about Max Roach.

Rich Versus Roach
    Money Jungle

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

For me, I like diversity. I'm good with John Bonham and I also like Buddy Rich.

Throw some names at me.

Rich was always fun...great sense of humor. Did he die of lung cancer?

For modern rock, I really like Larry Mullen Jr. Great talent and solid backbone of the U2 songbook. Always thought he was overshadowed by Bono and The Edge.

Fun to watch on the "Live at Stane Castle" DVD.

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Linn

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    There is an absolutely sick drum battle between Rich and Shaughnessey on Youtube. They performed on the Carson show. The talent there in just those few minutes is super-natural.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by mcgato
    For some reason, I always had a thing for Sheila E.
    Just spent about two hours about three feet away from her about a month ago. Good call.

Great drummer disc? Rich vs. Roach. Buddy Rich and Max Roach cuttin' each other for about an hour . . .

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    tom tom

Roy Haynes
    Benny "Papa Zita" Benjamin
    Tony Williams
    Mongo Santamaria

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    A few more drummers that come to mind:

Neil Peart
    Mike Portnoy
    Danny Carey

I believe Tafnut had a crush on Travis Barker as well.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Quick note on Sandoval. His bandmates played a prank on him by making him listen to an automated drum machine which they claimed was an actual drummer who could play faster than him. Pete believed them, started practicing the piece and eventually played faster than the drum machine to the amazement of his bandmates.
    Not to do with drumming but this prank reminds me of the first 5.10 in climbing back in 1959.

At the start of the Bastille Crack in Eldorado Canyon in Boulder, there is a direct line known as the Northcutt Direct. Apparently someone lied to Ray Northcutt that Layton Kor had climbed the route a few days before. Northcutt being quite competitive completed the short route, which was the hardest climb in the US at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    Quick note on Sandoval. His bandmates played a prank on him by making him listen to an automated drum machine which they claimed was an actual drummer who could play faster than him. Pete believed them, started practicing the piece and eventually played faster than the drum machine to the amazement of his bandmates.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Joseph Zettleman.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X