Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

marijuana en route to becoming legal in U.S.?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marijuana en route to becoming legal in U.S.?

this article seems to think so

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Re: marijuana en route to becoming legal in U.S.?

Originally posted by gh
    Hmm, anything to make a buck and get taxed.
    "Hook Em Horns"

Comment

Funny, just the day before this article's date, a savvy and generally conservative friend said he clearly thought we should legalize and regulate and tax it for the same reasons discussed in the article.

1. We're spending billions of dollars a year and losing the war on drugs.
      2. We're sending billions of dollars a year out of the country in the form of money used to buy the product.
      3. Taxing it if grown here would raise billions
      4. Rates of usage in countries where it is legal are lower than in the US.

He added, there probably aren't many people sitting around their home saying to themselves, "Darn, I really want to start smoking pot, but I just don't know where to get it." Most people that want to smoke it are already doing so.

I've generally opposed legalizing it but am starting to see the merits in the arguments to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
        Funny, just the day before this article's date, a savvy and generally conservative friend said he clearly thought we should legalize and regulate and tax it for the same reasons discussed in the article.

1. We're spending billions of dollars a year and losing the war on drugs.
        2. We're sending billions of dollars a year out of the country in the form of money used to buy the product.
        3. Taxing it if grown here would raise billions
        4. Rates of usage in countries where it is legal are lower than in the US.

He added, there probably aren't many people sitting around their home saying to themselves, "Darn, I really want to start smoking pot, but I just don't know where to get it." Most people that want to smoke it are already doing so.

I've generally opposed legalizing it but am starting to see the merits in the arguments to do so.
        What! Legalize it and take away the rush i get breaking the law. I am a dangerous outlaw and i want to keep it that way. :P
        phsstt!

Comment

This is quite an informative site on the subject.

http://www.mpp.org/
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The whole thing has been ridiculous from the start. Ever been in a room with a bunch of drunks? Yet alcohol is legal. Is that about the biggest load of.......

Comment

I usually refrain from commenting on topics about which I know nothing or do not have an opinion. But, it is not an ironclad rule.
              Habitues of this forum have undoubtably deduced from those rare occasions when, unwisely in my opinion, political commentary is permitted, that I am ensconced somewhere between Attila the Hun and Ghengis Khan. I don't know if either of these hail fellows smoked pot but I doubt they would have eschewed it on legal, moral or medical grounds.
              I have never smoked pot, or tobacco for that matter, never knowingly been where is was being smoked: not sure I even know anyone who admits to having smoked it. My education about mary jane dates back to the (in)famous Reefer Madness movies of the 1930-40s where, invaribly, girls who smoked were raped and boys, driving now priceless 1934 Ford roadsters, had fatal car wrecks.
              Aside from reported medical benefits, I do not know of anything good or admirable attributed to pot consumption. Nor, am I aware of anything really bad, except lethargy, possible driving impairment and wasted talent. Conversely, some proponents insist it enhances artistic talent.
              Admittedly, the same can be said of alcohol which can lead to disastrous results in drunk driving, spousal abuse, job loss, etc... Philosophically, I suppose I would support prohibition on the grounds that , as long as no one else is adversely affected, people should be free to abuse themselves.
              Detractors argue that pot, for many, is a stepping stone to harder drugs which
              do have demonstrably harmful effects. I am sure someone has compiled stastics both proving and refuting that contention.
              I do believe legalizing marijuana would dramatically reduce the price and associated crime, freeing up law enforcement for arguably more serious crimes.
              It is even conceivable that making pot legal would make it less attractive to some determined to rebel against parents/authority.
              Even so, it would generate an enormous amount of taxes.
              After all that waffling, I believe there should be provision for medical use.
              As to general de-criminalization, I am still firmly astride the fence.

Comment

As a non pot-smoker (at least to this point in my life), I think it is absolutely ludicrous how much time and money are spent arresting and prosecuting someone for toking up. If it was legalized and taxed, and sold in liquor stores in small amounts, I see no harm, and I see a lot of valuable police time going towards some much more heinous activities. And more money going to government services (health care, education, etc.), and less to drug gangs...

Comment

Working...
                X