Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Garcia

What is this guy's problem? Has long been a jerk with the media. He spit into the cup after he missed a putt. Now he disses the Masters. Should be interesting to see what kind of greeting he gets next year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/m ... -rant.html

I love it when so many of these Sports Dorks, after saying something really stupid, or behaving in some awful way, apologize via their advisors , attorneys, or the like. The verbiage of these seemingly oh-so-contrite apologies are so obviously professionally prepared.

Comment

He's bitter.

He was supposed to be the next great thing and the person who would challenge Tiger.

And just like with David Duval the rivalry was over before it started.
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

There are a great many pros who share his sentiments about the Augusta National. It is not really a great layout, but is kept difficult by putt-putt-type greens. We always used to talk about greens like that as wondering where the clown's mouth was. Trevino said much the same thing and was also roasted for it, but Lee Buck usually told it pretty straight.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
          There are a great many pros who share his sentiments about the Augusta National. It is not really a great layout, but is kept difficult by putt-putt-type greens. We always used to talk about greens like that as wondering where the clown's mouth was. Trevino said much the same thing and was also roasted for it, but Lee Buck usually told it pretty straight.
          bam, that is your opinion, but it Augusta National is always ranked in the top five among the world's great courses. You have to admit that 12 is a great hole. Maybe the best in golf.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
            bam, that is your opinion, but it Augusta National is always ranked in the top five among the world's great courses. You have to admit that 12 is a great hole. Maybe the best in golf.
            12 is a great hole, no doubt. Do you know how the rankings are done by Golf Digest and Golfweek? The pros have no say in it, with only a few exceptions. They have a ranking panel of "experts" who are not tour pros who go play these courses and then rank them. Most pros opinion of those experts is not overly high. The experts are completely biased by what they have heard and seen on TV. If a course is not on TV it suffers.

Here's the best example - have you ever heard of Quaker Ridge CC? It is usually ranked in or near the Top 100, but near the bottom of the list. It is right next door to Winged Foot, which is almost always ranked in the Top 10. They were both designed by the same guy (A. W. Tillnghast). I have never met any good player who has played them both that does not think Quaker Ridge is a better golf couse - its in my top 10 - its an unbelievable layout. But Quaker Ridge is never on television so the ranking experts don't know about it and it suffers commensurately. Why is not on TV? There are a number of reasons. Courses now for major champs need to have more than just a great course - parking is a consideration, the members have to want to give up the course for 5-6 weeks for the tournament and see it trashed by parking and spectators.

But I bet you've never even heard of Quaker Ridge - so much for those rankings. They are designed to sell the magazines. And also, that is not my opinion, but the opinion of a number of my former fellow tour pros. I never played in the Masters - missed qualifying twice by 2 shots. I also have never played the course (been there a few times) - I was offered the chance several times but always turned it down. I only wanted to play it the second week of April.

Comment

Very interesting comments, bam. Have you ever played the Honors Course here in town? Is it as good as it is usually ranked?

Comment

bam

just out of interest, when did they stop qualifying touneys for the Masters ?

nowdays they take them from various ranking lists/invite & no qualifiers

i must also back up your point about courses & parking

i went to Turnberry a few years ago ( it's hosting Brit Open this year ) & it was desolate, with narrow road to it & no real parking for the 1,000s of cars required for a Brit Open

it's an absolute favorite of the R&A, but they coudn't take the tourney back there since '94 until they got assurances parking woud be increased as well as other facilities

Comment

the back-9 looks very beautiful with trees & water, but looking at the front-9 which we only see on sunday & then only completely for last group, i must admit, it does look fairly bland & featureless with a few few par 3s/4s with little distinguishing features

the back-9 is only part that looks worth playing ( i'm dreaming of course :P )

Comment

All that is interesting but Sergio complains about a lot of stuff.

And this thread is about him.

He's bitter and frustrates easily.

He was supposed to be the next great golfer and was pegged to challenge Tiger.

But he aint won jack(et).

And for years he had to answer those questions which he tends to do less than diplomatically.

Comment

Let me tell you just how hard Augusta National is. Bill Gates was turned down to be a member.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                        Very interesting comments, bam. Have you ever played the Honors Course here in town? Is it as good as it is usually ranked?
                        No, I left the Tour in 1979 and that course is newer, as I recall. Never played it. Have not played much in Tennessee. Danny Thomas Memphis Classic at Colonial CC a couple times, and a college tournament at Fox Den CC in Knoxville.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                          Let me tell you just how hard Augusta National is. Bill Gates was turned down to be a member.
                          Isn't he a liberal who does charitable work in 3rd world countries?

When I think of him that way and not in regard to his worth, it makes more sense.

I guess I'm kinda surprised he was interested.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                            bam

just out of interest, when did they stop qualifying touneys for the Masters ?

nowdays they take them from various ranking lists/invite & no qualifiers

i must also back up your point about courses & parking

i went to Turnberry a few years ago ( it's hosting Brit Open this year ) & it was desolate, with narrow road to it & no real parking for the 1,000s of cars required for a Brit Open

it's an absolute favorite of the R&A, but they coudn't take the tourney back there since '94 until they got assurances parking woud be increased as well as other facilities
                            The qualification standards for the Masters have changed many times over the years - and that's just in my memory since the 60s. When I was playing, one qualification was the former champions got to vote in one player every year. The rumor was that one year in the early 70s they voted in Charlie Sifford, so the Masters mavens changed the rule and did not allow him in. There were never separate qualifying tournaments for the Masters, however, simply different standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                              But he's a member now.

Comment

Working...
                              X