Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about :

- unreliable tests ( none are 100% foolproof )

- inadvertent +ve ( baumann said someone spiked his toothpaste ( ok that was probably nonsense but your drink/food coud be spiked ) )

- nandrolone fiasco last decade, with reports of meat-eating leading to nandrolone +ves ( are athletes going to have to convert to vegetarianism in order to compete ? )

going to jail for doing nothing wrong on your part ???

Comment

If these things go to court, I would like to think they have better evidence than a positive test alone.

Comment

[quote=mump boy]
        Originally posted by "Chris McCarthy":1cyeh6he
        It's a stupid idea.

Drug "Cheats" are Tarred and Feathered enough without having to waste my money putting them up for a couple of years - I don't know if you could call them a threat to society with a straight face.
        so a accountant who commits fraud should only be barred from accountancy for a couple of years and not face criminal prosecution :?[/quote:1cyeh6he]

Accounting fraud is illegal in every jurisdiction around the world. EPO is a legal drug for certain forms of anemia (don't jump, of course she did not have anemia, but how hard is it to produce a witness or two, who would testify that "lately she has been pale and tired").
        A couple of years ago, there was a thread about Galen Rupp feeling tired and some physician treated it with a thyroid supplementation. The lab published was clearly euthyroid. So, should Galen be sent to prison, just because some physician deviated somewhat from the evidence based standards? How does that differ from the "treatment" of non-existent anemia?
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

good point pego

however, you know that it is common practice to treat borderline/lower-end-of-normal-thyroid with thyroxine without overt hypothyroidism on tests ( in my experience, it depends entirely on degree of ambivalence of patient to their "tiredness" - some want drugs, some will wait 6/12 & eat some beetroot ! )

conversely, no anaemic will be diagnosed without a blood test & being usually Fe-deficiency it'll be Fe-supplements or a PPI; something to stop the menorrhagia or insidious gut-blood loss

none will get EPO without a normochromic, normocytic anaemia due to usual renal failure

hypothroidism & anaemia aren't same animals...

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
            good point pego

however, you know that it is common practice to treat borderline/lower-end-of-normal-thyroid with thyroxine without overt hypothyroidism on tests ( in my experience, it depends entirely on degree of ambivalence of patient to their "tiredness" - some want drugs, some will wait 6/12 & eat some beetroot ! )

conversely, no anaemic will be diagnosed without a blood test & being usually Fe-deficiency it'll be Fe-supplements or a PPI; something to stop the menorrhagia or insidious gut-blood loss

none will get EPO without a normochromic, normocytic anaemia due to usual renal failure

hypothroidism & anaemia aren't same animals...
            Of course, not. I am talking about criminal proceedings, not medicine. BTW, I abhor thyroid substitution to euthyroid individual, just like giving antibiotics to the world travelers :wink: .
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
              BTW, I abhor thyroid substitution to euthyroid individual
              the london professors allow us to give 25mcg o.d. & re-test in 2/12

Comment

A bill that would criminalize doping in international competition has been introduced in the U.S. Congress. The proposed Rodchenkov Act (named for the Russian whistle blower) would also provide a private civil right of action for athletes who are deprived of medals and financial rewards by doping offenders.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/artic...l-competitions

I've no idea whether this has any chance of passage.

Comment

Of course this bill doesn't apply to doping in professional sports in the USA as long as it doesn't involve international competitions. I'll let the lawyers give their opinions as to the validity of such a law, but I suspect that it wouldn't pass judicial muster. If it passes I guess MLB will have to stop calling "it', the World Series!

Comment

Working...
                  X