Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trivia: the answer is not James Dean

Just saw some stats on an all-time great movie performer:

only appeared in 5 movies (plus a bit part), but 3 of those 5 won the Oscar, and overall, the 5 had 40 Oscar nominations.

Died at 42.

Who is this?

(and if you are a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon fan, no, they were never in a movie together :-)

Re: trivia: the answer is not James Dean

Originally posted by gh
    Just saw some stats on an all-time great movie performer:

only appeared in 5 movies (plus a bit part), but 3 of those 5 won the Oscar, and overall, the 5 had 40 Oscar nominations.

Died at 42.

Who is this?

(and if you are a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon fan, no, they were never in a movie together :-)
    No cheating....mmmm ....Cliff Montgomery?
    phsstt!

Comment

John Cazale?

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        Cliff Montgomery was a football player. I think you mean Montgomery Clift and no, that can't be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          and if you are a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon fan, no, they were never in a movie together :-)
          But what is his Bacon number?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            Cliff Montgomery was a football player. I think you mean Montgomery Clift and no, that can't be the answer.
            :lol: :lol: :lol: I have lexia- dis bad ops:
            phsstt!

Comment

Oh, and John Cazale's Bacon number would be 2 since he was in the Deerhunter with Meryl Streep who was in some movie with Kevin Bacon--had to do with white water rafting. The River Wild or something similar.

And I should note that I am in the Hall of Fame on the Kevin Bacon number site for finding someone with a Bacon number of 7. They have since closed the Hall to new members. I'm in the August of 1997 group.
              http://oracleofbacon.org/hof.php

Comment

Streep more than in movie w/ Cazale.... they were intimates, which I hadn't realized.

Discussion of upcoming Cazale documentary here.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

ps--McGato, I stand in awe!

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                  ....Meryl Streep who was in some movie with Kevin Bacon--had to do with white water rafting. The River Wild or something similar.

Terrific movie - great scenery, decent plot, and maybe Bacon's best work. I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38afo ... shortfilms
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

ATTICA! ATTICA! ATTICA!
                    phsstt!

Comment

I think the old Siskel and Ebert show did something about Cazale and his extremely short, but productive, career. When the original question came up, I knew Cazale had a short career, and I knew he was in the two Godfathers, the Conversation, and the Deerhunter, so he was an obvious choice. I've never actually seen Dog Day Afternoon.

Getting on the Bacon Hall of Fame was boredom induced at the beginning of my third year of grad school. Classes had just started, but I didn't really have anything else to do.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                        ....Meryl Streep who was in some movie with Kevin Bacon--had to do with white water rafting. The River Wild or something similar.

Terrific movie - great scenery, decent plot, and maybe Bacon's best work. I'd highly recommend it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38afo ... shortfilms
                        His best and worst work: I've had trouble liking him in anything since. Fabulous bit of villainry.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          ps--McGato, I stand in awe!
                          Me too!

Comment

John Cazale?
                            Home from work and just started scrolling down this thread, but this is the correct answer. Godfather, Deer Hunter, Godfather II, Dog Day Afternoon, as I recall. He was engaged to Meryl Streep during the filming of Deer Hunter, but died before the movie came out.

Comment

The Cazale documentary will be on HBO on Tuesday night, according to this CNN article.
                              http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... tml?hpt=C2

Comment

Working...
                              X